2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29
I've been wondering the same thing, but I think the difficult thing to establish is, is the end point "flawless" meaning no mistakes? or a few, but not blaring mistakes (meaning most people wouldn't even notice them as mistakes) And is it the first time you achieve that or when you have consistancy?
Is that being too technical? crazy
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
theatrium & knightplayer,
I'll take a stab at an answer. It is solely depnedant on what you want to get out of playing the piano. Want perfection? It could take years, literally. If you just want to get through it without any or many mistakes it will take a lot less time. I've been back to piano for 2 1/2 years now with 5 or 6 years as a kid on the piano and organ and depending on my work schedule can practice up to 3 hours per day. Most days it's less than 1/2 that now. I memorized the Chopin B-minor Waltz (much easier than CdL) in about 4 - 5 months. Right now, about a year later my playing of it is acceptable to my ear. Ah, but to play it like it should be played, and I've heard it played, will take the rest of my life to perfect. So it all boils down to - How well do YOU want to play it? I hope this helps.
Woody

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still plodding away too, hit a bit of a wall trying to get bars 10-12 smooth. Slowly getting there though!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Hi HughSung,

This is my first post here, and I've only watched videos 1 and 2 thus far, but I have to say I love the way you describe everything and also review over and over, from the overview to things like the direction of the sound.

I'm very excited to try out your method to learning this song - I just wanted to stop by and say that because when a teacher calls something "magical" in music, I'm pretty much obligated to leave a compliment!

-II

PS: Sorry for the edit, but I was also wondering: is this the full version of the song in the original?

Thanks smile

Last edited by ll; 11/04/09 05:57 PM.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
II
If you see keyboardklutz's post at the bottom of page one, you will hear it played slightly differently. If you double click the picture it will take you to youtube where you can find more people playing it the same way (same length) (check out pennehk) I think its full length.
If you get past page 3 & 4, page 5 is easier and page 6 is a snap thumb
The tunnel may seem long, but there is definately a light at the end.
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks Julies!

I just wanted to make sure, as I am a stickler and purchase Urtext only (conditioning from years as a percussionist... I am a supremest when it comes to sheet music, ha!). Simply wanted to make sure that the sheet music I follow along with is correct.

Finished lesson five, still going strong thumb

II. As in, second best.
Oh, that isn't a problem... all of the versions of the music I've seen were correct as far as the notes go... Urtext versions don't show fingering and pedaling suggestions (Debussy didn't supply them, figuring that players would find their own solutions). The best versions I've seen are from Alfred, and the fingering and pedaling suggestions (which pretty much follow Hugh's suggestions) are printed in light grey. But there are other versions out there as well, which would work equally well for teaching purposes. As I suggested earlier, it isn't that expensive to buy several copies, mark one up as you work your way through, and keep another for playing from once you get the whole piece in your fingers.

Bill Daniels
Tucson, AZ
L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
In the same fashion, buy the urtext and copy the sheet music (since it's for personal use, that would still be legal, right?)?

II. As in, second best.

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I have the Alfred edition that I don't mark up so much.

I downloaded from IMSLP another copy that I can do with what I want so it doesn't detract from my "good" copy.

I do go back and forth, but it is really nice to play the sections that I don't need all the extra memos for using a clean copy.

I like the Alfred's also for the fingering suggestions (which are very very close to Hugh's, except for some of his unusual suggestions). Alfred's pedaling marks also follow Hugh's suggestions.

So I'm pretty happy with my set-up anyway.

Good luck! smile

Cheers!
CMOHR

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Where'd everybody go? Is anybody still working on this? (I am) grin Pages 3 & 4 might take a few months.crazy
Is anyone having Clare de lune withdrawl? The last post was last Thursday, but it seems like weeks ago.
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Still here, Julius. Working away at meas. 15-18. But you are right, you can hear the crickets in this thread. confused

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Still here. Worked on 15 - 25 today and still reviewing the videos. I think it works well to review the video, practice and then review the video again. I get a very positive practice that way. Now if I could just get the fingers to work together.
Measures 15 - 18 are now hands together and coming along nicely. I will work the left hand into measures 19 - 25 over the next week.

I think measures 17 & 18 have been the hardest for me so far.
Partly, because I keep changing the fingering for the left hand. Stop it!

T
T
I have been following Hugh's lessons from the beginning, only posted once, more of a lurker. Anyway I sure hope that he continues the lessons till the end, as they are very helpful. This break has been good for me as it has given me time to get much better, but I am ready to move on. If he doesn't however, I think he has given us enough tools regarding fingerings, pedaling, practicing, etc., that most people will be able to work through the rest without his lessons, of course it will take longer and be much harder, but it is possible. If you work through it, you can find the fingerings that suit you the best, and you can use Hugh's techniques like the cookie cutter hand pattern, recognizing octaves, and others to come up with ways to play this masterpiece. I think it also helps to listen to a professional play it while reading the music many times (I am partial to Leon Fleisher's recent recording from his Two Hands cd). Also take a look at the russian pdf that someone posted early on in this topic. It has fingerings that may help some, or it might give you ideas on working out your own fingerings. That being said, I still would love Hugh's lessons to return for the second half of the piece.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still here also. Still working on 15 - 25 like your are Carl but it is definately going slow - both in time and speed.

Tiemco, I don't think that Hugh will be back. It's been a few weeks now since he has posted here and the last one didn't include a lesson. From what I've seen on his other sites on the internet,he now has financial backers and he may have been working that aspect instead of the free-bees given here. It sure was nice while it lasted.

Woody

[Linked Image]
I've made it to the end! smile
I now play it all the way thru. First 2 pages fairly well, next 2 pages better than 2 weeks ago(but still a long way to go), and last 2 pages are getting there since there is a fair amount that is similar to the first parts.
Tiemco is absolutely right. The needed information is there. Apply it to the parts after the last lesson.
Would this be easier with lessons all the way thru? you bet. But its doable with what's there.
I hope to be able to record after Christmas (with or without Santa). This will be the first piece I post. That gives me a month and a half to get it flawless laugh (hahahaha!). Nothing like a deadline to help push harder.
Julius

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Julius! Looking forward to hearing your recording. Hope Santa is paying attention!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congrats Julius, that's quite an achievement!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
T
T
Well if he isn't coming back it was nice having lessons from a professional pianist of his caliber. I am still hopeful, and if you listen to his language from his last lesson (before the video of him describing the private lessons) it certainly sounds like he intends on continuing till the end. I totally understand if he is unable to continue the free lessons, as they must be very time consuming, but I think Hugh would have let us know if he was in fact not going to finish the piece, and I would be content with just a short note on this thread. I would be much happier with a note and a pdf of the score with the fingerings, both the traditional and his easier fingerings.

OP Offline
My apologies to the class! Between setting up my new online studio at Ashbury Music Hall and the increasing workload at Curtis (the semester is in full swing at this point!), I've been quite frankly overloaded to my eyeballs and beyond!

I'm not sure if I'll be able to update new lessons on a daily basis, but I'll try to do the best I can to plow through to the end. Many thanks for those of you who have used this "hiatus" to catch up and keep up with your study of "Clair de lune". I really appreciate all the words of support that have been expressed both here in this forum and via email/private messages. Let's do our collective best to cross the finish line together!

OP Offline
Lesson #57, m. 41, Part 1

We start with a portion of the right hand, including the extra notes that will be "scooped" from the left hand part. To make things a bit easier, I redraw the left hand notes on the same staff lines with the right hand part. When playing thirds (two notes at a time in one hand), try to lift the non-playing fingers out of the way for better connections.

Page 23 of 29 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission