2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
gregali Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am looking for some help as we are now looking at 2 used pianos: one is a Schiedmayer c183 serial# S132981 and the other is a Petrof - about 25 years old and it is 5'3" or 5'4".

My son played both and I think that he likes the Petrof, but the Schiedmayer was out of tune, but he thinks that it might be better because of its size.

Schiedmayer - the seller said that it is 6' in size. We did not measure it, but would like to know for sure. I have read some info on this site about this type of piano being made by Kawai, and I can confirm that the gold seal inside indicated that it was manufactured in Japan. However, we cannot determine the exact age. Can anyone tell me where to get more info? The case is in super condition and the seller took very good care of it for the last 10 years and now bought a Bosendorfer. The price being asked is $12,000 Cdn. Is this reasonable? Are there any things that we should specifically look for that could be problems?

Petrof - I did not see it myself, but my son said that it needs new hammers and he would like new keys (they seem worn out). However, it is a baby grand, approximately 25 years old, and the asking price is $9,000 Cdn + an additional $1,000 to redo hammers and strings.

We have not yet sent our piano tuner/rebuilder out to see them, but he says that Petrofs are neither reliable nor consistent (which is why I am surprised that my son who is on Grade 10 piano likes it)and he really does not know about the Japanese made Schiedmayers.

I look forward to reading all comments.

Thanks

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
25 years ago Petrof was a nationalized factory under the Soviet rule. The pianos were lack luster and not even close to what they have been in the past 10 years with the company back in the hands of the Petrof family.

Schiedmayer is in fact made by Kawai for distribution in Europe, typically. In the past they did not carry the ABS plastic action parts Kawai is famous for. A C183 would be 6' if you do the conversion from centimeters to inches.
I am unclear on the Kawai numbering scheme for this alternative line. Querry Kawai Don regarding the age with this serial number.

Piano Technician, member Piano Technicians Guild.
L
L
You should check out the newer Petrof's from Euromusic in Markham, you could get a 5'8" for a bit more. Petrofs are pretty good pianos - tier 2 calibre. You should check out Larry Fine's book. We had a Petrof upright for over 10 years and we had absolutely no problems without, had a wonderful tone and great tuning stability. We have a 6'3" grand for the past year and it has been problem free as well.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I just bought the Petrof IV (5'8") new for $13.8K.

S
S
gregali,

I just purchased a 5'3" Petrof, new, for $10,400. Read Larry Fine before you buy an old Petrof.

P
P
Redoing hammers and strings on the Petrov for $1,000.00 is pretty generous...I'll bet it will end up being more than that, since that would barely cover materials.

I like the Schiedmayers. They are not stencil pianos. They have a different design than Kawais, though they were built by Kawai. They have wood wippens, and I think all the action parts are wood, though there may be an ABS wippen flange. Wood vs. ABS is an insignificant argument, though, as both materials have stood the test of time.

I worked for a dealer that sold these not so long ago. In fact, my ex-wife (future wife at the time....) bought one from me, so I've had a chance to see how it's holding up.

I played it a couple of weeks ago for a couple of minutes. Though I last tuned it over 5 years ago, it was still sounding remarkably good. It always had phenomenal stability. I should really do her a favor and teflon the knuckles and check the regulation, though....

I quite liked these pianos, but they never caught on. Schiedmayer is a German company that makes celestes, I believe. They contracted with Kawai to produce some pianos (before Steinway contracted with Kawai to do Bostons).

Hope this helps!

Promote harmony in the universe...tune your piano!

Dave Stahl, RPT
http://dstahlpiano.net/
dstahlpiano@sbcglobal.net

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission