2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, 5 invisible), 1,131 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1300291 11/06/09 02:55 AM
Manachi Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey Guys,

I'm relatively new to Jazz but have been listening and practising many hours a day for the last few months. Recently discovered Thelonious Monk on youtube and have bought "Complete Blue Note Recordings" - I really dig his style and his sound - the first time I listened I didn't know what to think of it, but its grown on me a lot.

I notice his name doesnt seem to appear nearly as often as other 'greats' when people list names on the forum etc. Just curious to know what others think of him? smile

Manachi

PS. I'm open to any recommendations of any specific tracks of his that I should check out! smile

You should definitely check out his album, "Solo Monk"

He's quite an eccentric pianist (both as a musician and as a person). He's able to use dissonance to create some very beautiful music. One thing he used a lot are voicings with minor 2nds, along with his very angular lines and... interesting rhythm.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Yea Monk is amazing... everything from his feel, touch.. I love "brilliant corners", Pannonica is one my favorite Monk Tune.

T
T
let's don't be over excited over Monk, he is original in some sense but far from great. Thousands of better players out there.

Take a listen to this tragic, stiff performance for instance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmhP1RgbrrY

I couldn't even listen to the end...
If I didn't see title I'd think it's amateur school band.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Once again delirium you miss the point. He created a particular sound. Like it or not, it's his.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

T
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Once again delirium you miss the point. He created a particular sound. Like it or not, it's his.

that way you can call music any noise.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So a major 2nd interval is just noise? That's all he's doing my friend. Ever heard of the 9th in a chord? (Something that's in every single Jazz voicing today?).

Read up on the history Del. It was Dizzy, Bird and Monk staying up in the wee hours of the morning discussing harmony. (The book is an Autobiography of Dizzy Gillespie). From these guys came Modern Jazz and Bebop.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I thought it was a minor second he was playing. Like a b9, but adjacent to the root.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by tremens, delirium
let's don't be over excited over Monk, he is original in some sense but far from great. Thousands of better players out there.

That's the stupidest assertion I have read on Piano World, and there have been some doozies. Delirium, indeed.

Or maybe it's tongue in cheek, like the German guy in a wig on You Tube who "fixes" the difficulties that Monk didn't have the time to work out himself.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I didn't actually try to analyze what he played there but I play this tune a lot and it's often characterized by adjacent diatonic notes (which could sometimes be half step). A b9 on the dominant would also be consistent with him.

My Jazz Blog

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano
Or maybe it's tongue in cheek, like the German guy in a wig on You Tube who "fixes" the difficulties that Monk didn't have the time to work out himself.

smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bsCRv6kI0

My Jazz Blog

T
T
I see I'm in kindergarten here.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jazzwee
Originally Posted by landorrano

smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51bsCRv6kI0

ha ha

I actually like Monk.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
tremens, delirium QUOTE let's don't be over excited over Monk, he is original in some sense but far from great. Thousands of better players out there.

From Wikipedia 1.Often regarded as a founder of bebop.
2.He is one of only five jazz musicians to be featured on the cover of Time (the other four being Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Wynton Marsalis, and Dave Brubeck.
Monk's style at this time was later described as "hard-swinging," with the addition of runs in the style of Art Tatum. Monk's stated influences include Duke Ellington, James P. Johnson, and other early stride pianists. Monk's unique piano style was largely perfected during his stint as the house pianist at Minton's in the early-to-mid 1940s, when he participated in the famous after-hours "cutting competitions" that featured most of the leading jazz soloists of the day. The Minton's scene was crucial in the formulation of the bebop genre and it brought Monk into close contact and collaboration with other leading exponents of bebop, including Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Christian, Kenny Clarke, Charlie Parker and later, Miles Davis.

Mary Lou Williams, among others, has spoken of Monk's rich inventiveness in this period, and how such invention was vital for musicians since at the time it was common for fellow musicians to incorporate overheard musical ideas into their own works without giving due credit. "So, the boppers worked out a music that was hard to steal. I'll say this for the `leeches', though: they tried. I've seen them in Minton's busily writing on their shirt cuffs or scribbling on the tablecloth. And even our own guys, I'm afraid, did not give Monk the credit he had coming. Why, they even stole his idea of the beret and bop glasses
Monk was highly regarded by his peers and by some critics, but his records did not sell in significant numbers, and his music was still regarded as too "difficult" for mass-market acceptance
Today Thelonious Monk is widely accepted as a genuine master of American music. His compositions constitute the core of jazz repertory and are performed by artists from many different genres. He is the subject of award winning documentaries, biographies and scholarly studies, prime time television tributes, and he even has an Institute created in his name. The Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz was created to promote jazz education and to train and encourage new generations of musicians. It is a fitting tribute to an artist who was always willing to share his musical knowledge with others but expected originality in return.
Robin D. G. Kelley Ph.D.

tremens, delirium I hope your piano playing sounds better your talk and what you write is boring. DPVJAZZ

T
T
so you guys have to read in wiki and have a phd to tell you what is good for your ears? pathetic...
For me listening to somebody is enough and while Monk's solo was interesting the whole performance I didn't like at all.

Anyway, listen to whatever makes you happy but don't cheat your ears they know better then you.

D
D
that way you can call music any noise.

so you guys have to read in wiki and have a phd to tell you what is good for your ears? pathetic...
For me listening to somebody is enough.

You're certainly in good company. A couple of hundred years ago, the conductor and virtuoso violinist, Louis Spohr, heard Beethoven's 5th Symphony and described it as, "an orgy of vulgar noise."

daro #1302704 11/10/09 01:34 PM
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
What I admire most about T Monk is his compositions that many jazz musicians have recorded and turned them into standards. Monk was a great songwriter.

He had a piano style that worked for him, a bit choppy at times and inconsistent in his touch, but that was what defined his eccentric and almost elfin personality.

Some of my favorite tunes he wrote were, Round Midnight, Monks Mood, Pannonica and Ruby My Dear. Hopefully he got the royalties he was entitled to when he was around.

I saw his CD set on Amazon, Monk Alone: The Complete Solo Studio Recordings of Thelonious Monk 1962-1968 by Thelonious Monk (Audio CD - 1998) - Original recording remastered. Must order it soon.

katt

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
You know there is no one like him, he is one of a kind.. you hear people copying Bill Evans, or Oscar Peterson, but not Monk. If there is such thing as a voice on an instrument, then he truly has one.

Kenny Werner once said "do you think Theolonius Monk himself will actually be able make the audition Monk Institute?

You love his music for what it is.. And for me I can appreciate him a lot better when I can drop my expectations for what jazz piano is supposed to sound like.

dvpjazz&daro

I don't know firsthand, bur rumor has it that tremens did post his own music in a jazz forum and people were laughing at him because his music was so...you know what.

I figured, it's like some sports fan who talk all this crap about their team and atheletes..it's easy to criticize people when you aren't the one pouring your heart out on the stage/stadium..

But who knows may be we are all wrong and he is right, and he is actually that brilliant, in that case, I do wonder why the whole world doesn't know about his music.

Maybe he can enlighten us as to how ignorant we are with his brilliant playing smile

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by etcetra

I don't know firsthand, bur rumor has it that tremens did post his own music in a jazz forum and people were laughing at him because his music was so...you know what.

It isn't really important, but I don't think that Tremens' playing has any importance at all.

One doesn't have to be a great musician to have an idea about things.

Also, it isn't rare that very good musicians, great ones even, disdain other great musicians. Armstrong denounced bebop and ridiculed Parker and Gillespie for their berets and sunglasses.

That said, I do find what tremens,delirium says in this thread about Thelonious Monk to be idiotic. I suspect that it is tongue-in-cheek, or said by spirit of provocation, but it is nonetheless idiotic.

Last edited by landorrano; 11/10/09 05:41 PM.
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
As for Thelonious Monk, he was an immense artist, a musician of gigantic stature, and has had an influence so profound and widespread that it is difficult to measure it. It goes beyond imitating his style, copying his licks, transcribing his solos. It goes beyond his compositions, even.

Coltrane worked in Monk's band, during the period leading up to Giant Steps and My Favorite Things. Think of what that represents. Monk is a key element in the development and the flowering of the genius of Coltrane.

The importance of Monk is beyond measure.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission