2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (1200s, busa, clothearednincompo, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,135 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
law1259 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I am considering purchasing a Baldwin model 226 SA grand that was made in 1969. What is the professional's opinion of this particular piano? There are 2 players in my house that play for recreation.
Currently we own a studio Kimball that I will be selling that is very unsatisfying to play.
Do you think $5000 is a good price for the Baldwin?

Last edited by law1259; 11/06/09 08:51 PM.
law
It's tough to give advice on a piano unseen - especially to a lawyer! Please call a member of your local PTG and have them evaluate the piano. I believe that's good advice though I'm not absolutely certain.
Regards
Mike

Owner, Kitt Fine Pianos
Albuquerque,
Hallet Davis & Co., old M&H's of course
L
law1259 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
psssssst not a lawyer, try monogram lol

law
I like the Baldwin model R, 5' 8* grand , R-226 whom I am a big fan of. The one I liked the most had Queen Anne legs and a cherry finish, though they were in ebony also. In general Baldwins hold up vastly (subjective, just in case) better than most. Have a Guild member check it anyway. Good luck.
Regards
Mike

Owner, Kitt Fine Pianos
Albuquerque,
L
law1259 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
thank you very very very much! making decision tomorrow morning! BTW.... how about that price?
Thanks
Lisa

Lisa
Unless the structural integrity was compromised somehow or someway, the price is good, in my opinion. Still a good idea to spend $100. to have it checked out. You'll want it tuned anyway after delivery, so perhaps the tuner would wrap the evaluation into the price and he'll get a devoted customer. Good luck to you.
Regards
Mike

Owner, Kitt Fine Pianos
Albuquerque,
A
A
Hi Lisa,
Just an amateur opinion here, but I just bought a 1978 Baldwin M (5'2") last week for $4,500, so was heavily scouring the classifieds for Baldwins. That price sounds excellent, if it is in fairly good condition. I had mine checked by a piano tech first before buying. Good luck!

L
law1259 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for everyone's help!
So I had my Baldwin 226 (5'2") piano delivered. She is in cherry with french legs and it is just stunning to look at. I ended up paying $3800 for it and I had a guild technician give it the complete physical exam before buying. It passed with flying colors, nothing at all wrong with it other than needing a good tuning.
I am just amazed at how sweet it sounds and I can play songs so much better now.... wish I had known years ago what a difference a grand makes over an upright in playing songs well. Honestly I can just sit down to a piece that I never played and just play it out... I could NEVER do that on the upright. Playing on the upright was like having a road block up... it had such limitations that I wasn't even aware of. Now... I wonder how much better it would be to play an even better quality instrument. Perhaps I will be saving for a new grand (used) down the road.
But for the time being I am loving the heck of my Baldwin baby... thanks again for the help!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As I remember the 226 is a dressed up cabinet design based on the Baldwin model R a 5'8" grand. Congratulations on your new Baldwin, a very nice instrument.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission