2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, Brendan, 1957, 10 invisible), 1,771 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Wow that kid's pretty good!! I found a better clip with him doing the same song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BXa22qWTc

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
I'm curious about how he learned jazz. I don't know if he can do much beyond Spain but what he can do sounds pretty authentic. He can really improvise. I think this is different from the usual prodigies playing classical music because there you're learning something specific. For him to sound like Chick Corea means he's listened and practiced to emulate Chick, which is amazing for a young kid to comprehend (even at 13). For one, who's going to teach thim that? Chick himself?

It's not like you can go to some masterclass and learn this smile

My Jazz Blog

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
This kid Gadi is no doubt a classical and jazz prodigy. He has the passion, the ear, technique, and long thin fingers, exceptionally unusual long pinky to play complex classical and jazz tunes.

We need kids like this who can help keep jazz piano alive and inspire, influence and motivate other piano students to learn about improvisation. He will certainly have no trouble getting a scholarship to Berklee, Juilliard, or NEC.

I'm sure he has the ear to transcribe Spain or anything similar or even more advanced compositions and can pull them off effortlessly. It's also possible he has absolute pitch or close to it.

There are several other young prodigies out playing jazz and when listeners who may not be into jazz will get interested in checking it out due to the exposure and publicity these kids get featured in.

I would also hope these kids will study the pianists that influenced Chick, Bud Powell, Bill Evans, Horace Silver. I could add to study, Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson, Herbie Hancock, Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, and many of the other fine jazz musicians. It's very uplifting that kids are listening and playing jazz.

katt

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Excellent use of rubato. The kid has great timing. Excellent phrasing. He has studied a transcription of Chick's solo. I can imagine him some day wowing crowds by playing duets with Chick or Hiromi.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Yeah I'm preparing to buy his records someday. For some reason he's already in Berkelee. I think he sounds much more interesting than Eldar.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Seems like he can play some other stuff too, check him out doing Billie's bounce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB-557qM498

From what I gather on the clips, he went to Berklee on a 5 week program, I think for young kids. The other clips had all teenagers playing too.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Reminds me of watching a kid in an ice skating competition. Very technical, look at that triple lutz! Not very enjoyable from an artistic standpoint, not swinging. Give me some good old classic Miles Davis Quintet or Wynton Kelly.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jazz+
Reminds me of watching a kid in an ice skating competition. Very technical, look at that triple lutz! Not very enjoyable from an artistic standpoint, not swinging. Give me some good old classic Miles Davis Quintet or Wynton Kelly.

Interesting comment. So I guess you can say the same about Chick Corea.

My Jazz Blog

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
He's no Chick Corea...

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Jazz+ you seem to put a wet towel on people or things. Who care's if he ain't Chick Corea!!! the kid is 13!!!!

You and I would both give our right arm to play even half as good, and you know it. The subtle critical jabs speaks of your own blunted musical journey. If you aren't inspired by a guy probably 1/3 to 1/4 your age, then just go home.

Speaking of young prodigies, this kid just won the Montreux Solo Jazz piano competition for 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6j04QTyPj7s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1da9ZmOFx7k&feature=related

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Well this kid inspires me that's for sure. smile I bet we've both been playing piano close to the same amount of time (guessing here +/- a year), so it makes me feel I can do better. My curiosity is really in his practice regimen.

My Jazz Blog

T
T
explain to me where is "jazz" in that performance because I see more like "trained monkey" thing (no offense meant to the very talented boy) At this age there can be no real music improvisation but imitation. Yeah, people like prodigy kids...

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
hey tremens, put up some posts of you playing the piano and we'll see how much of a "trained monkey" you are.

If you are willing to be critical than you must be open to criticism yourself. And don't give me no excuse about finding "my own voice". I want to hear you play boy.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
tremens, you wouldn't happen to be related to Gyro hey? You just sound like a "trained monkey" version of him, pardon the pun!!

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tremens, delirium
explain to me where is "jazz" in that performance because I see more like "trained monkey" thing (no offense meant to the very talented boy) At this age there can be no real music improvisation but imitation. Yeah, people like prodigy kids...

I've heard him play Spain in two videos and he does it completely differently in each case. That's no memorized routine my friend. I wish I could have that kind of phrasing and time. He's on his way to doing a duet with Chick like Hiromi. Speaking of Hiromi, I believe she did the duet with Chick at a young age too though older than Gadi here.

Stylistically, he has more taste than Eldar.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Not to worry Wiz...I've known my buddy Delirium for years.

My Jazz Blog

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
hey wee, I think you need to take away Delirium's Kenny G and Yanni albums, he's gotten confused as to what jazz is!!

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jazz+
He's no Chick Corea...

And neither are you... let's hear your version of Spain.... yeah thought so.

N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I can see nothing but praise for Gadi's piano playing talent. It takes some players 10 years of heavy duty training and study to get to his proficiency and technical ability.

Whether he is copying other player's styles is insignificant, because he can do it and many others try and can't get it or eventually get there through hard work. He is an explorer, he's young, bright, thirsy for knowledge. He may turn into a great composer, a conductor, a concert pianist, who knows.

Other pianists will be jealous when they hear a kid so young kickin' butt, laying down some heavy duty jazz. But to me, it's inspirational, I might even transcribe some of his lines and see what his fingerings are.

I imagine he is also a good sight reader and is developing a good basic theory study. The kinds of teachers and mentors he chooses will be imperative to his development.

Hopefully, Gadi is cutting a CD now, so we'll see if he releases something.

We all have our opinion about musical prodigies, but I support 100% his drive and passion to study and play jazz piano at such a high level.

katt

Last edited by nitekatt2008z; 11/05/09 08:54 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission