2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
CarolR Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I remember last weeks lesson, and the week before that. I so, so, carefully went over exactly how to approach this particular tricky measure. Hands alone, hands together, slowly. Where does each finger go. I had them practice shifting their hands from point a to point b, several times. I wrote in assignment notebook how to practice, how many times to practice, what to focus on. And......then this week's lesson. Nothing. Zip, nada. The tricky part is the same disaster it was. This is NOT beyond them. I have this happen with so many students, so frequently, that it must be universal. Sometimes I sit in disbelief, listening to the same tangle of notes that we untangled last week. No we are NOT talking about music that is too difficult.
This is what makes me want to double my rates. This is not fun. Obviously, the practice is not happening. I hear myself saying, once again, "There is a slur over those notes, so those need to be connected, but those need to be separate". This is not a foreign concept. I'm guessing practice happened oh maybe 2 times this week. And those two times, they sat down and played through the music badly, stumbling and stopping only briefly to correct notes. Sometimes I think My whole life as a teacher is to keep kids from falling into this trap. I talk about how to practice more than just about anything else. I AM FRUSTRATED THIS WEEK!!!!

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Have you tried using a checklist on their practice assignment? Some kids really respond that.

Other kids I'll just say, "You know, it sounds like you really haven't practiced this using all the steps we went over last week, so now you get to do them all at your lesson. I'll just sit back and listen to you practice." Then do just that. No teaching, just listening.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
C
CarolR Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Can you be more specific about how you use a checklist?

Working on:
Chopin: Barcarolle
Schubert: Sonata D959
Rachmaninoff: Daisies
Lutoslawski: Paganini Variations for 2 pianos

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by CarolR
This is not fun.

Sometimes work is not fun. Can there be anybody who can honestly claim that his or her work is never frustrating or disagreeable? Sometimes you do everything right and still things go wrong. That's life.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I think it's very wrong to get frustrated - it's not in the job description.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Carol:

What kind of music are you talking about? If it's method book stuff, I don't know what to tell you. If it's sonatina and above level, that's quite normal. Some of my students take weeks to fix one passage. I swear, I have students who have childhood onset dotage.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There is a particular student of mine playing a Bertiny Etude in F#m. There is a moment where the chord changes in V (C#6/5) and the left hand plays E#, while the right plays G#,B,C#. Well, she keeps playing for some reason Eb7 chord (Eb on the left hand and G, Bb, C# on the right)... She keeps doing the same error over and over again for the last month. The rest of the etude is bloody perfect however. Very even, very rhythmical, even the dynamics are more than fine!

I don't know if I did the right thing, but after a couple of weeks of playing the piece 'perfectly', except for that one bar, I decided to leave the etude and move on to the next one. My thinking was that the etude accomplished everything that was set to do and that this is a random error that hopefully won't stick to her too long. It also shows that she'd studied quite a lot to be stuck with a rather weird chord progression...

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I had a student yesterday, working on a piece for the Christmas recital, who sounded like she had not practiced a bit. (She may not have - Halloween seems to have detoured a number of my students this week.) I spent the majority of the lesson practicing with her. We did it over and over and over. I would have preferred she did this woodshedding at home, but since she didn't, we did it here. By the end of the lesson, she was playing much better. I then wrote in her assignment book to watch the rhythm and dynamics. Exactly the same thing I wrote the week before.

I don't go home with them, can't make them practice. If it doesn't happen at home, we do it at lesson. Slows progress, and isn't fun, but there it is.

piano teacher
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
I swear, I have students who have childhood onset dotage.

grin

Yeah, when a child is not particularly interested in what they are being asked to do, learning can seem rather slow. I guess this is especially true in the sort of kid who is not motivated to please other people.

It helps to have some learning tricks to impart, and it helps to be a wonderful teacher whose love of what they are doing is infectious. Aren't we all like that, all the time? smile

Bottom line: keep experimenting and keep trying to impart a love of playing. But in the end, not all students will pick it up and not all students can be persuaded to want to learn this stuff.

Although you may never choose simply to give up on a student, at some point there is no mileage in continuing to flagellate yourself. Lay out the issues to the parents. Explain what you are trying to accomplish, and fully describe the methods you are using to try to get there. Explain what you see happening during the lessons and what you believe is NOT happening at home. Ask them what their goals are and whether they think they can assist at home (if you are the sort of teacher who wants that home involvement). Ask them frankly what they think the child wants out of music and whether they consider that in their thinking. Then plan accordingly.

M
M
Originally Posted by CarolR
I remember last weeks lesson, and the week before that. I so, so, carefully went over exactly how to approach this particular tricky measure. Hands alone, hands together, slowly. Where does each finger go. I had them practice shifting their hands from point a to point b, several times. I wrote in assignment notebook how to practice, how many times to practice, what to focus on. And......then this week's lesson. Nothing. Zip, nada. The tricky part is the same disaster it was. This is NOT beyond them. I have this happen with so many students, so frequently, that it must be universal. Sometimes I sit in disbelief, listening to the same tangle of notes that we untangled last week. No we are NOT talking about music that is too difficult.
This is what makes me want to double my rates. This is not fun. Obviously, the practice is not happening. I hear myself saying, once again, "There is a slur over those notes, so those need to be connected, but those need to be separate". This is not a foreign concept. I'm guessing practice happened oh maybe 2 times this week. And those two times, they sat down and played through the music badly, stumbling and stopping only briefly to correct notes. Sometimes I think My whole life as a teacher is to keep kids from falling into this trap. I talk about how to practice more than just about anything else. I AM FRUSTRATED THIS WEEK!!!!

I have this happen all the time. It has gotten better with a couple of things. One of them is that I have them write down their practice times. I have a box on their assignment sheet with the names of each day beside them (something I borrowed from another PW teacher :D), and since then I have been reasonably assured that they have practiced. There is one boy who never ever writes down his times, but I know he practices every day, so that's not an issue.

I have another girl who never writes down her times, and I know she doens't practice. That *is* an issue. Last night I simply went through the songs knowing that she did not practice, and one that we have been working on for weeks (she is in PA book 1 and very capable of progressing faster than this), I assigned yet again. The other one we let go. The one in her performance book was not even touched, this going on a few weeks now of not practicing it at all, so I decided to get her singing it first. She loves to sing, so we got off the bench and put the book on a music stand and started patsching our legs (tapping with big circles in between) to keep the beat, then we sang the song. She is very good a reading words and picked that up quickly with me leading her in the tune. Then we sat down at the piano and played.

It really was not hard for her then, so I told her to go home and play this song right away when she gets home. I doubt she will. She is very sweet and I honestly think she is trying to please, but the concept of hard work just hasn't sunk in yet. She's been with me two years now and is in 4th grade I believe.

Sometimes the only thing you can do is keep showing them the way, but doing it in different approaches. Even with students that do practice I sometimes find they can't get beyond the same issue. That means I need a different approach. So first, get your student practicing. Then take it from there.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Carol, teaching how to practice as well as what to practice is about the best you and I can do. Practicing at home falls under the umbrella of parent and student responsibility, not teacher. Assuming you've discussed this with mom and dad, there is little else to be done, except the weekly pep talks with students.

To make you feel a bit better, here's an interesting read:

Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin. Subtitled, What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Out of what the OP posted, what came out to me was: "This is what makes me want to double my rates."

Doubling your rates does not make you a better or a more patient teacher.

We give the same lesson over and over many times on any one concept the student is learning until he gets it and can use it.

My take on your complaints is that the previous concept and the previous concept before that one, ad infinitum, are not firmly in the students retrieval system. You may have covered the concept and it is not there in his knowledge bank or skill set yet.

Practice can not be done if there is no thinking, planning, observation, tasks, goals understood by the student.

He is just a warm body on a bench at this point if everything you said about him/her/them is true.

It's your job as the teacher to teach in a way the student learns. Each student is different. You must reach them. Saying the same old same old you said before is not going to do the trick.

I don't think it's them as much as it is you. Despite teaching them practice steps is very, very important - it's the place that teaching happens - so don't drop that as worthless - it's 100% essential. Change the way you say things - have many options with how and what you will say to come at the concept from different learning styles and perspectives.

Think on my comments and go back with several students to the simplist thing they are avoiding doing - one thing only - and put it in their lesson plans to work on but supplying other materials to support the concept in addition to the place in the music that you are dealing with today. Find the first and most simple thing missing - don't try to fix everything all at once.

A basis plan is for the student to achieve:
Correct notes
Accurate counting
Good fingering
Dynamic Touch
Phrasing

Each area needs to have a decision and an impulse from the student as to how to respond. To play even one note well is a huge task when you consider that each one note played has a backup requirement of the first 4 items on my list - multitasking - adds to the difficulty factor of what the student wades through in playing just one note well.

Let's back up here and get appropriate to each and every one of your students reality levels.

When a student is having problems it simply indicates to me that "WE" are having problems and I work doubletime to find out how I can and should be making a difference to supply what are the missing links in their education.

I fear this would tick a teacher off to read this post. But, I wouldn't have 38 years of successful teaching in my track record if I had not held my teaching accountable for being appropriate to teaching each and every different person who has ever set on a piano bench in my presence. The music could be the same, but the student is going to have different requirements to get through that music and it's all based on how he is wired when he came to you and how you can get all this information about music making through to him and help him at the same time to rewire to having a musical brain that returns information to him when he needs it on demand.

If teachers are not familiar with the word "pedagogy" they need to pursue it as though it was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Teachers are not well enough prepared if it is only a method book they are teaching from. You must have the knowledge of how/what/when to teach and you will find that in "pedagogy".
Google the word. Follow thru. Fill your being with what you learn by studying pedagogy. There are many resources to gain these skills. We could bat that around in a topic and it would be very worthwhile!

Betty Patnude

I fear this would tick a teacher off to read this post.

You can say that again. What follows would probably raise the hackles of just about anyone hearing these suggestions.

But, I wouldn't have 38 years of successful teaching in my track record if I had not held my teaching accountable for being appropriate to teaching each and every different person who has ever set on a piano bench in my presence. The music could be the same, but the student is going to have different requirements to get through that music and it's all based on how he is wired when he came to you and how you can get all this information about music making through to him and help him at the same time to rewire to having a musical brain that returns information to him when he needs it on demand.

If teachers are not familiar with the word "pedagogy" they need to pursue it as though it was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Teachers are not well enough prepared if it is only a method book they are teaching from. You must have the knowledge of how/what/when to teach and you will find that in "pedagogy". Google the word. Follow thru. Fill your being with what you learn by studying pedagogy. There are many resources to gain these skills. We could bat that around in a topic and it would be very worthwhile!

Betty, do you have any idea how the OP might interpret this? You have focused on one sentence of frustration to make a rather strong series of personal criticisms. You pat yourself on the back (in a somewhat off-putting manner to CarolR, I suspect) for your wisdom, your devotion and your deep sense of accountability, while suggesting that with her lack of similar experience, CarolR is quite deficient in those same areas. Ouch.

Teachers not familiar with the word pedagogy? Double ouch.

Google the word follow thru. Triple ouch.

After this I think somebody might have their hands on their hips with a wee bit of steam issuing from their ears. [Linked Image]

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Piano*Dad

I fear this would tick a teacher off to read this post.

You can say that again. What follows would probably raise the hackles of just about anyone hearing these suggestions.

But, I wouldn't have 38 years of successful teaching in my track record if I had not held my teaching accountable for being appropriate to teaching each and every different person who has ever set on a piano bench in my presence. The music could be the same, but the student is going to have different requirements to get through that music and it's all based on how he is wired when he came to you and how you can get all this information about music making through to him and help him at the same time to rewire to having a musical brain that returns information to him when he needs it on demand.

If teachers are not familiar with the word "pedagogy" they need to pursue it as though it was the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Teachers are not well enough prepared if it is only a method book they are teaching from. You must have the knowledge of how/what/when to teach and you will find that in "pedagogy". Google the word. Follow thru. Fill your being with what you learn by studying pedagogy. There are many resources to gain these skills. We could bat that around in a topic and it would be very worthwhile!

Betty, do you have any idea how the OP might interpret this? You have focused on one sentence of frustration to make a rather strong series of personal criticisms. You pat yourself on the back (in a somewhat off-putting manner to CarolR, I suspect) for your wisdom, your devotion and your deep sense of accountability, while suggesting that with her lack of similar experience, CarolR is quite deficient in those same areas. Ouch.

Teachers not familiar with the word pedagogy? Double ouch.

Google the word follow thru. Triple ouch.

After this I think somebody might have their hands on their hips with a wee bit of steam issuing from their ears. [Linked Image]

+1

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Good! Reactions to things really help us identify what are problems to us or assaults to us and make us think of how we will respond to the stimulus.

We all, as teachers face things Carol is mentioning and it' very easy to blame the student's motivation and their practice habits and whatever we deem as their problem.

But, we fail to remember or notice that they don't come to us having the skills of a musician or pianist already - they may have some attributes toward becoming, but they are not. In fact, they are pretty much a blank slate most of the time when they first sit on the bench.

We are responsible for feeding them what they need to know and we do this constantly. However, when it's not working, it still remains our responsibility to give the information in the way that the student can make use of it based on his wiring - not ours.

Whenever there is a problem, we should enter the problem as a helper to the student, not bashing him for not knowing, or being unconfident, and not bashing because he is unprepared either.

We can affect good habits in students by giving examples of how to's and honing the thinking and behaving during lessons - "lessoning the knowledge". When we get into the dither and frustration of they are not doing what I am telling them to do - it is more possibly that the student is not understanding and the understanding goes back to a far previous time not just to today's lesson.

Students who are getting it (demonstrating to us) get excited, show interest, motivate themselves from within, they get busy in their musical life. They beam forth, project, pursue. Because they have a "track" to follow - information, knowledge, experience in doing things right - confidence.

My terse comments are to get teachers off the dime of it being their students at fault - teachers need to see themselves clearly as their students see them. When we are the teacher we should be and want to be we get results - when there is representative problems of "them" not doing things - the onus is back on the teacher to examine themselves.

It bothers me that teachers would fall into this habit and think that they have done all that they can to date. It's always time for growth and development on your own as a teacher and as a pianist when we hit walls in our studios with our students.

You don't want to have 38 years of dreary, same experiences, and be frustrated day in and day out. You want that great studio and you want to be in charge of what goes on in your studio and that's the permission we have to build it from the students and parents who are trusting us to do that.

"Great Students Deserve Great Teachers!" and vice versa "Great Teachers Deserve Great Students!" How do we get that way? What makes that great student? Or, great teacher? How do they find each other? My answer is that they grow to the place of "great" together by responding to each other every step of the way.

We can focus on positive - or we can focus on negative.

That is what my post is all about - about meeting the challenges and being our own best teacher - it is not about me as an example. We face trials and tribulations in piano teaching just as we do in any other work efforts we might choose - we would have evaluations as workers in whatever job we would hold. Piano teaching is a career that we have to evaluate our own selves to determine that we are effectively and purposefully and successfully doing the job. It's a desirable self-accountability.

I've stated my purpose and philosophy about piano teaching.

The students are like empty musical vessels when they start. It we do our work to organize their musical knowledge they do not have to be empty or confused when they leave us. It is well known, isn't it, that teachers who teach transfer students have a lot of complaints about the "new" students previous piano study and what wasn't covered? The frustrated teacher who can not turn that around is going to be the subject of the next teacher's remarks. And, the new teacher is more than going to have their work cut out for them. There are no guarantees as to what will happen with the students who are brave enough to try again with a new teacher.

Pompous, no. Opinionated, yes!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Carol's frustration, all of ours, is that students leave the studio knowing what to do, how to do it, and fully intend to do it. When they cross the threshold of their home, there seems to be an instant brain drain and all good intentions fly by the way.

What techniques have you developed over the years to mitigate this?

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
I've stated my purpose and philosophy about piano teaching.

The students are like empty musical vessels when they start. It we do our work to organize their musical knowledge they do not have to be empty or confused when they leave us. .

Pompous, no. Opinionated, yes!

And what are they when they leave? Little vessels who can play the classical repertoire well? Wow. Now that's what I call teaching. Betty, you write as if every teacher here studies and teaches the way you do.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Whoa! Hold your horses, everybody!! Let's not descend into a flame war over teaching styles and "pedagogy."

There are different teaching styles and different teaching approaches (i.e., pedagogy), so that all students can be taught, one way or another. I believe all teachers should be flexible enough to teach in several modes and explain the same concepts in different ways, while appealing to the different "intelligences" in the student's mind. It is the teacher's job to reach the student, absolutely.

What the thread has touched on, however, might be those students who--no matter how hard the teacher tries--just won't get it. I've seen these students firsthand. I'm the type of teacher who gets a lot more "intermediate" transfers than beginners. When I see that I get to work with these train wrecks, I at first would blame the previous teacher(s) for his/her/their poor teaching. But I'm beginning to realize that not all students can be reached. For several reasons:

1) They hate piano, period. Their parents force them to take lessons.

2) They are not coordinated enough to play piano. Their brains and fingers are not wired in a way that allows for multi-tasking (note, fingering, rhythm, phrasing, etc.). This is sad, but true!

3) They don't like the style of music being taught. Most of the time, it's the "classical only" approach that turns off students.

4) They don't live in a supportive environment that is conducive to practicing piano. Seriously, I have one parent who tells his son to "STOP PRACTICING!" Obviously, when the family support is not there, not much can be accomplished at lessons.

I think it's good to talk about our problems and discuss them to find solutions. It's just not productive to start pointing fingers.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
R
R
My teacher would embarrass me with a huge red pencil mark at that point - it worked!!

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
"they (students) don't live in an environment that is conducive to practicing piano"

This quote by AZN really hits home with me. Some parents do say "stop practicing" to their kids, whether it be just a bad time of day, or someone is on the phone or trying to listen to TV, or the parent is just tired of listening to a trouble spot being ironed out during practice.
CarolR:does your student you discuss have a supportive environment for practicing?

One thing that came to my mind as I read these posts:
some students of mine refer to their lessons as "piano practice" (like football practice, etc.) Parents say this, too.

Piano Teacher
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission