2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Earlier this year the largest piano dealer in Belgium set up a tour in railway stations and shopping malls showing his home brand pianos equiped with a self player system.

I wonder how successful an action this was?

As the article in the Washington Post dates from 2007 they perhaps should have read it before setting up this promotion campaign?

Doutreligne, Railway

schwammerl.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by birchy
It's a bit stunning that an article as thoughtful as that one actually elicits negative commentary, but I guess that is the way we're becoming wired.

The entire point of the piece is that as a society we have so over-committed our time and attention to the next "have-to-do" that we do not live in the present, and as a result do not even recognize beauty when it is right beside us.

On Wednesday our 3 year old got to wear her Halloween costume to preschool. Along with all her class mates she got a little bag of treasures from her teacher that day. As I was picking her up another kid was eagerly trying to show his mother what he had gotten.

"Mommy! look what I got today..."

"Hurry up and get in the car, I'm late for work!"

His mother was in too much of a hurry to take two minutes to share in his big excitement for the day.

I think Birchy nailed it on what this article is about.

Dan

Dan and Laura Larson
Fazioli and Ibach grands
Larson Piano Studio
http://www.stoneformsart.com/
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This made me think of myself going down to a subway station in Oslo, Norway. A violinist was playing at the entrance, accompanied by a tape recorder. I had to stop and listen for a while, he was really good. When I reached my destination, I told my hostess about the wonderful street musician. Oh, she said, he plays with the Oslo Philharmonic, and then he sometimes does this for fun, just to see if someone stops to listen. I am afraid I was the only one who stopped at that moment.
Once, while vacationing in Paris, my sister and I came down the stairs to the Roosevelt Metro station, and from somewhere came the sound of a guitar. The artist was playing the theme from "Jeux Interdits", and we tracked him down and listened to the whole piece while our train left without us. But, there is always another train, and beautiful music in the train station is limited.

Some men are music lovers. Others make love without it.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DanLaura Larson
Originally Posted by birchy
It's a bit stunning that an article as thoughtful as that one actually elicits negative commentary, but I guess that is the way we're becoming wired.

The entire point of the piece is that as a society we have so over-committed our time and attention to the next "have-to-do" that we do not live in the present, and as a result do not even recognize beauty when it is right beside us.

On Wednesday our 3 year old got to wear her Halloween costume to preschool. Along with all her class mates she got a little bag of treasures from her teacher that day. As I was picking her up another kid was eagerly trying to show his mother what he had gotten.

"Mommy! look what I got today..."

"Hurry up and get in the car, I'm late for work!"

His mother was in too much of a hurry to take two minutes to share in his big excitement for the day.

I think Birchy nailed it on what this article is about.

Dan

What? Did he get a world class violinist in his bag? I don't get it. How would he fit?

But seriously, I agree with those that can see the perspective of the 'experiment' being somewhat flawed. Put that person in a different setting, perhaps a park, and see how many adults as opposed to kids will stop and listen. Location and timing both need to be considered.

Recordings of my recent solo piano and piano/keyboard trio jazz standards.

Norbert Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
If there is something uplifting in the story it is how great street musicians have become seemingly everywhere.

When back in Germany I can't believe the Russion accordeon virtuosos, the American travelling kid putting
Nashville to shame or the violin students from the local conservatory dressed in high class suits.

Music can be ignored or appreciated - but it can't be stomped out.

Norbert

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Norbert
If there is something uplifting in the story it is how great street musicians have become seemingly everywhere.

When back in Germany I can't believe the Russion accordeon virtuosos, the American travelling kid putting
Nashville to shame or the violin students from the local conservatory dressed in high class suits.

Music can be ignored or appreciated - but it can't be stomped out.

Norbert

I was thinking similar thoughts. I spent half the summer in Spain and Portugal. No, I wasn't busking, but might have made more money it I had been. grin Whether it was the Ramblas in Barcelona or the Castelo Sao Jorge in Lisboa, buskers of all sorts were surrounded by appreciative audiences. Granted, lots of the audience were tourists, but far from everyone.

I think in the US lots of folks view buskers the same way they view panhandlers...."Why don't they get real jobs and chase their tails like everyone else?"

You have to factor in the immediacy of the music's appeal as well. Most people want something light, easy and accessible. If I stand on a street corner in Vienna shrieking Das Klagende Lied, I might not draw a crowd. smile

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I love the surprise of hearing a street musician when I am in a hassled hurried time. It brings a smile to my face. I do stop a moment and listen. Always nod and mouth 'thank you'.

It's kind of like enjoying the 'daylily' in that each flower only shows its beauty for the day. Must take time to enjoy it.

smile

Lilylady

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
I think in the US lots of folks view buskers the same way they view panhandlers...."Why don't they get real jobs and chase their tails like everyone else?"

Perhaps that's the reason many European cities including some Canadian ones like Vancouver, now have an annual and officially sponsored "Street Festivals"

Great fun - amazing performers!

http://www.einapplaus.de/strassenfeste_is120_e_1.html

In Europe they have become the best next thing to local beer and wine festivals attracting big crowds from everywhere.

What's better fun than "free" fun anyways?

And the food....

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 10/31/09 12:28 PM.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by turandot

You got that right. There's this one guy who plays the saxophone in my favorite park. He's an older guy who probably doesn't need the money (at least I hope not) but he annoys the heck out of me.

I go there for some peace and quiet. Then comes the sound of the trashcanophone. Hate that instrument. Sounds like someone blowing through a trash can. I often think if I offer him $20 will he go away. Please, go away. 2hearts

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Shame on you....

Norbert wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
There's a really thoughtful presentation of buskers and passersby in Tom McCarthy's movie "The Visitor". It also has a couple of priceless scenes relating to piano teachers and adult beginners. smile

My take on Bell in the subway is how profoundly we are influenced by our surroundings -- how hard it is to recognize greatness if it is set in an ordinary environment; so the lesson is to keep our senses open daily to the extraordinary in life, even while we're in the midst of ordinary routine... let's stay truly awake every day.

RachOn
Estonia 190; Yamaha U1
C
C
This account of Josh Bell's busking comes from a long article by Gene Weingarten in the Washington Post. He won the Pulitzer Prize for it last year. The full article is worth reading.

corax
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I did some jazz gigs in Paris France about 10 years ago and one of the gigs we did was a 45 minute set in a subway station at 9 am. We weren't particularly good at that point (barely out of college) yet before we knew it there was a very enthusiastic crowd of 40-50 people listening intently. ( and most certainly becoming late for whatever they were on their way to) A very different attitude toward 'stopping and smelling the roses over there' Maybe that's why alot of Parisiennes who are 70 years old look a heck of a lot like 50 year old north Americans.

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJF
I did some jazz gigs in Paris France about 10 years ago and one of the gigs we did was a 45 minute set in a subway station at 9 am. We weren't particularly good at that point (barely out of college) yet before we knew it there was a very enthusiastic crowd of 40-50 people listening intently. ( and most certainly becoming late for whatever they were on their way to) A very different attitude toward 'stopping and smelling the roses over there' Maybe that's why alot of Parisiennes who are 70 years old look a heck of a lot like 50 year old north Americans.

Yeah, it is different for sure! Parisians especially love their jazz and take it seriously!

I have a jazz player friend from Buenos Aires who got stiffed on the second half of payment for a gig in Zürich. He didn't play the underground. He slept there for two nights and busked in a public park during the day to get some travel money.

Probably a lot of people who have the lazy bum perception of buskers do not realize how difficult it can be at times for very good musicians who don't have the right connections.

Norbert Offline OP
OP Offline
Probably a lot of people who have the lazy bum perception of buskers do not realize how difficult it can be at times for very good musicians who don't have the right connections.

Absolutely correct.

This is the fate of a great deal of musicians I know including a few who decided to become piano retailers...

Norbert wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission