2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I am looking at the Behringer EG2180 and the Casio AP45. Both fit my requirements and fall within my budget. Could someone with knowledge of either of these pianos give me their opinion on them? Right now I am drawn towards the Behringer because of the price, the non-calculator appeal and the fact that it looks a better piano.

Thanks
jackbirdy412

Recent repertoire:
Albeniz - Triana
Schubert - Sonata D664
Bach - Prelude and Fugue no.12, Book II

Working on:
Debussy - L'isle joyeuse
Chopin - Scherzo No.3
Haydn - Sonata Hob.XVI:52
Scarlatti - K426 and K427
Well, it looks good, but is bad, its just a cheap piece of junk, so go with the Casio

J
OP Offline
J
In what way is the Casio better? The Behringer is cheaper and I am only 14, I just need something good and reliable to practise on.

Thanks

Last edited by jackbirdy412; 10/31/09 09:04 AM.

Recent repertoire:
Albeniz - Triana
Schubert - Sonata D664

Working on:
Debussy - L'isle joyeuse
Chopin - Scherzo No.3
G
G
I did not play the behringer, but from what I can see on some youtube videos it seems to me to be the copy of Williams pianos, which are made in China. The price is good (less than $ 700) but my suggestion to you is the following one:
if you want to spend $ 700.00, buy a Casio AP-45 at Amazon.com (it is currently on sale at a great price). It is a good digital piano.
If you like the Behringer, save some money and buy the Williams Overture at Guitar Center which is currently on sale at $ 490.00.
For the price, it is good and I believe that it will be as good as the Behringer.

J
OP Offline
J
How is the action on the Williams Overture?

Recent repertoire:
Albeniz - Triana
Schubert - Sonata D664

Working on:
Debussy - L'isle joyeuse
Chopin - Scherzo No.3
G
G
I did not find it so bad, it is quite heavy.
If you buy the Williams Overture do not expect the same quality of sound of a Yamaha or Casio. the Willams DP sound is quite mellow (some say"muffled) but it can improved with the reverb and brilliance settings.
I have a Yamaha YDP 223 now (cost $ 1500) and it is much better than the Willams, however for $ 490.00 I find the Overture a great value for the money.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
$490.00 can probably get you a privia 130 also, which is portable and not too shabby

G
G
I played the privia 130, it sounds very good with earphones, better than the Overture, but not too good with its built-in speakers, which are small and show their limits on the bass notes.
The built-in speakers of the Williams are definitely better, as it usually happens with console dps compared to portables.

J
J
I love my AP-45 which I've had for two years. Still great.

However, you can get the newer models (AP 200, 400) with 128 note polyphony and newer sound source technology.

On the other hand, the AP-45 has line-out audio which appealed to me, and the default piano sounds great in the headphones.

Good luck.

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I would not want to accept the blame for causing someone to have made the decision to choose to buy a williams.

J
OP Offline
J
What about the Yamaha YDP-140? This is about the same price, but it looks and sounds superior, judging by videos I have seen. Does anyone know if the touch is good on this piano?

Thanks

Recent repertoire:
Albeniz - Triana
Schubert - Sonata D664

Working on:
Debussy - L'isle joyeuse
Chopin - Scherzo No.3
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I've tried out a few of these cheap digital pianos, not the Behringer though, and now that I'm becoming a more proficient piano player I'm able to more easily discern the nuances between different pianos, I have to concede that the unknown branded pianos are not worth wasting money on. I guess a lot of us are "ball and chained" by finances, albeit at different levels, but as far as DP's are concerned stick with the known brands. If you had have tried the Yamaha YDP-140 and you liked it, I'd go with that. The Yamaha will sell much easier if and when you come to update it, old Yamaha DP's fetch silly money on eBay here in the UK. The touch isn't the same on the YDP_140 as the touch on the CLP-380...but neither is the price. The touch on digital pianos differs just as greatly as on acoustic pianos, some folks like a heavy touch, some folks like a light touch, and sometimes only an expert can tell the difference. I'd choose either the Yamaha or Casio if I were you.

Last edited by crusadar; 11/04/09 11:30 PM.
G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I depends on the price. The
AP 45 sells for about $1000 in
the US. If the EG 2180 is selling
for same price, that seems high,
since Behringer has made a name
for itself selling at bargain
prices. The EG 2180 would be
okay, but it would have to be
selling for less than $1000, say,
somewhere in the $500-$700 price
range.

I've never tried an EG 2180, but
it does seem to look very similar
to the Williams Overture. I
have an Overture, which I bought
for $600--it is apparently now
selling for about $500. I like
the Overture. It's a budget
digital, but it's satifactory
for playing anything, from
jazz improvisation to big concertos.
Of course, at this price, you're
not going to get a V Piano or a
CLP 380, and design compromises
had to be made to keep the price
that low. The sound is just
satifactory, and the action can
be a little quirky in some playing
situations. But it doesn't bother
me, and anyone should be able
to get around it without much
trouble. In any case, that's just how I
like my pianos, inexpensive and a little
quirky. I have an top-of-the-line
acoustic upright in storage
that I bought in the early 1980's
for ~$6000--a similar model
today would be in the ~$20,000
price range. But I find the
Overture much better for practical,
everyday playing.

P
P
Gyro and others,

I am new here and I can't find much on Behringer 2180? that Costco is selling for $750+tax including bench. I am torn between this Behringer model and Casio Px330. I do see a lot of good info on Casio, but when I add the accessories such as CS-67 (stand), SP32 (pedals) and a decent bench, I am looking at about $700+tax at Guitar Center (after a 15% price match).

I am buying it for my 9 year old daughter to start with, but I am hoping my two other little boys will use it later as well. So I do care for long term reliability in this budget range. Since it is for kids, I would like all the bells & whistles these two models have to offer. It is her Christmas gift.

Any thoughts or recommendations for me?

Thanks.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by crusadar
I've tried out a few of these cheap digital pianos, not the Behringer though, and now that I'm becoming a more proficient piano player I'm able to more easily discern the nuances between different pianos, I have to concede that the unknown branded pianos are not worth wasting money on. I guess a lot of us are "ball and chained" by finances, albeit at different levels, but as far as DP's are concerned stick with the known brands.

Agree 100%.

Originally Posted by crusadar
If you had have tried the Yamaha YDP-140 and you liked it, I'd go with that. The Yamaha will sell much easier if and when you come to update it, old Yamaha DP's fetch silly money on eBay here in the UK. The touch isn't the same on the YDP_140 as the touch on the CLP-380...but neither is the price. The touch on digital pianos differs just as greatly as on acoustic pianos, some folks like a heavy touch, some folks like a light touch, and sometimes only an expert can tell the difference. I'd choose either the Yamaha or Casio if I were you.

What crusadar said!

Try the Yamaha P-155, if that's too expensive try the P-85. Selling it due to upgrade / lost interest will get some of your $ back. Good luck reselling a no-name. Also, a stage-type piano is probably an easier resell.

I'm not a huge fan of the Casios, the keyboards push back too hard (particularly for young fingers), the piano sample isn't the best, and the other samples range from lame to horrible. The Casios seemed like a good value until I actually spent some time with one. I wanted to like them, but they wouldn't let me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have to agree with Dempster on the Casio instruments...the action is much too heavy for a beginner, and probably for the more advanced player, and they had an overall cheap feeling that made it seem that they were built down to a price.

My choice was a Yamaha P-85; actually I have two of them. Nice graded hammer action with a "just right" amount of resistance, and a very decent piano sound, considering the price.

They are rugged and withstand a lot of playing. as mine get a lot of use (not so much since I got the Avant Grand) wink and the optional stand and pedals make an already nice looking instrument even better.

Sustain pedal is included.

Best low priced digital out there, in my opinion.

Snazzy

Semper Gumby: Always flexible \:^)

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission