2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1296444 10/30/09 04:46 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
My teacher tells me not to make things difficult for myself by thinking of music as being complex.

He said all you need to be able to do is count and to remember the letters ABCDEFG.

It is as simple as that.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
You seem to have a wise and guiding teacher. Congrats on the resumption of lessons, btw.

KS

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragtime Clown
My teacher tells me not to make things difficult for myself by thinking of music as being complex.

He said all you need to be able to do is count and to remember the letters ABCDEFG.

It is as simple as that.

Almost - but how high must you be able to count: 4,6,8,9 or 12?

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Three. Maybe four.

Last edited by keystring; 10/30/09 05:29 AM.
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I think his comment on counting refers to rhythm. One of the main reasons I restarted lessons were because of some of the fundamental basics of the piano were missed and not practiced enough. Counting and clapping the rhythm. I have a huge collection of piano music accumulated over the years but if I don't know a piece I cannot play it because I don't understand how to count the rhythm.

I told my teacher that I would happy enough to return but I had this problem understanding how rhythm is written and counted. he said once I had learned how to count I could play much better and effortlessly.

He told me that he appreciated the fact that I wanted to learn. We will be working on Grade 2 with a view to entering an exam in late May/early June.

That's the thing. The small things are the key to everything else. But they seem too simple so we overlook them or discount them, and go to complicated things and deep philosophies and theorems. You seem to be in good hands. Best of luck for the grade 2 eventually. You'll do well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=John FrankAlmost - but how high must you be able to count: 4,6,8,9 or 12?

JF [/quote]

Four. One of the best choral directors I had said if you can count to four, you're good. Everything can be broken down to 1, 2, 3 or 4.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IrishMak
Originally Posted by John Frank
Almost - but how high must you be able to count: 4,6,8,9 or 12?

JF

Four. One of the best choral directors I had said if you can count to four, you're good. Everything can be broken down to 1, 2, 3 or 4.

What about music with a 6/8, 9/8 or 12/8 time signature?

JF

Last edited by John Frank; 10/30/09 01:30 PM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Well, I count a 6/8 beat usually as 1-2-3 1-2-3 (or if you prefer 1-2-3 2-2-3). Similar for the others. I never count to 6, 9, or 12 when playing

I think as far as RC's teacher is concerned, he's trying to lead him into certain things, and simplicity is the theme. It makes sense to me.

6/8 = [1-2-3] [1-2-3]
9/8 = [1-2-3] [1-2-3] [1-2-3]
12/8 = [1-2-3] [1-2-3][1-2-3] [1-2-3]

Two sets of triplets, three sets of triplets, or four sets of triplets. Even simpler: multiples two or multiples of three.

KS

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
I think as far as RC's teacher is concerned, he's trying to lead him into certain things, and simplicity is the theme. It makes sense to me.

KS

Keystring, exactly. Lets take it a step at a time.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

6/8 = [1-2-3] [1-2-3]
9/8 = [1-2-3] [1-2-3] [1-2-3]
12/8 = [1-2-3] [1-2-3][1-2-3] [1-2-3]

Two sets of triplets, three sets of triplets, or four sets of triplets. Even simpler: multiples two or multiples of three.

KS

But, if you had to verbally specify on which beat of a measure in say, 9/8 or 12/8 time, a certain note occurs would you say it occurs on the, e.g., 3rd no.1 beat or would you say it occurs on the 7th beat? Which is simpler or more immediately clear?

And in 4/4 time do you count 1,2,3,4 or do you count 1,2,1,2?

JF

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[quote=John Frank
But, if you had to verbally specify on which beat of a measure in say, 9/8 or 12/8 time, a certain note occurs would you say it occurs on the, e.g., 3rd no.1 beat or would you say it occurs on the 7th beat? Which is simpler or more immediately clear?

JF [/quote]

You would say the note occurs on the 7th beat. And if you want to count in 9 or 12 or whatever, that's fine. But breaking the beat down to it's fundamental is not only easier, it usually more closely follows the "feel" of the music. And if you watch a conductor, he will almost never beat in 9 or 12 or whatever. I's almost always in 2, 3 or 4. I'm sure there are exceptions.

As noted above, I agree that the point here was to uncomplicate things as much as possible for a beginner, not to say this is the only way or that it will apply universally (tho in my experience, it pretty much does).

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ragtime Clown

It is as simple as that.

Indeed it is. In the words of Johann Sebastian Bach, "It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself."

Knowing the letters ABCDEFG will get you to the right key. The ability to count gets you there at the right time, solving the problem of rhythm.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Interesting question to think about:

In person, I would probably hum it or maybe hum and point at the score or just point at the score.

If referring to it, however, the first thing is how I'm actually experiencing the music as music. 9/8 time has 3 beats, which is how I play and perceive it. So 3rd no.1 beat (pulse) I might refer to it as "G# in beat 2" or "the first note in beat 2". When I play or read music in compound time I automatically perceive it in clusters of three.

But in real life I don't think you would refer to it in any way: you'd have the score, or hum it, or also refer to the note name, wouldn't you?

Addendum: It occurs to me, that for RC's purpose he is being taught how to play and interpret music in the score with simplicity. When you're doing that, then you're at the [1-2-3] [1-2-3] level of working. When I learned "simple", a lot of complicated things seemed to fall into place.

Last edited by keystring; 10/30/09 07:11 PM.
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
Ragtime, a music notation program will help. Just enter a the notes for a few bars, then use the playback feature, to hear how the music should sound. You can puzzle out the counting from there.

Finale Notepad is $10 for the downloaded version.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I obviously know very little, so here goes a question:

If a "phrase" is a musical sentence, then what is a measure? Before you say a "word" or something ( laugh ), I have seen the same piano score (Zanarkand) translated into nearly every time signature I know, which would create different words for the same piece of music...

Can the significance of a measure be arbitrary, something completely secondary to the time signature? This is the conclusion I have reached, but I'm very ignorant...

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz
If a "phrase" is a musical sentence, then what is a measure? Before you say a "word" or something ( laugh ), I have seen the same piano score (Zanarkand) translated into nearly every time signature I know, which would create different words for the same piece of music...

Can the significance of a measure be arbitrary, something completely secondary to the time signature? This is the conclusion I have reached, but I'm very ignorant...

A measure is a "dance unit" within a piece. A piece naturally falls into a repeating pattern of dance-units.

Stand up and sing Baa baa black sheep while marching on the spot. Now pick up your imaginary big bass drum and give a big beat in all the right spots (use small drum and your imagination). You probably just divided this song into the following pattern where the bold syllables have the drum beats.
Baa baa black sheep
Have you any wool
Yes sir yes sir
three bags full

Because you were doing the song in groups of 4 steps (that's your dance-unit), we say that there are 4 beats in each measure. So you have just defined the measure from the sound only. You just discovered the feel of this song and by counting with your feet you can give it a number; "it's in 4". Probably you would choose a quarter note as the beat, hence time signature is:
4 quarter notes per measure i.e. 4/4

But if you chose an eighth note as the beat the music would sound exactly the same in 4/8 time, but people would tend to play it a little faster.

But maybe some ppl would feel it this way:
Baa baa black sheep
Have you any wool
Yes sir yes sir
Three bags full

So now the piece is playing with time signature of 2 crotchet beats per measure, most people here would favour 4/4, but this piece in 2/4 is the same piece. Anyone you played it to would say "yes that's baa baa black sheep, and that's how it goes".

One simple song, three reasonable time signature choices (even if most would say 4/4 is best). In a more complex piece where people are transcribing from the sound only, there will be a range of choices that still describe the piece accurately.

Great question Waltz! Hope the answer meets the standard.

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
An interesting observation that I've run across is that a measure is the most basic unit of symmetry in a piece of music. It's a pattern of emphasis among beats that repeats and forms the structure that melodic and harmonic creativity hangs itself from. Phrases or verses (sets of phrases) might be seen as larger units of symmetry.

But that's making a mathematical rather than linguistic analogy.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
Waltz, can you find examples of the different time signatures of Zanarkand so that we can analyze and see what is going on there? Like, I'm wondering whether they've created a different version of the piece.

Here is another possibility. Supposing that the same music is written with 3/4 time in one score using quarter notes and half notes, and 3/8 time in another score using eighth notes and quarter notes. You'll have exactly the same music because the bigger notes are twice as long as the smaller notes. I don't know if this makes sense.

To understand what a measure is, consider that most music has an underlying regular beat. There are all kinds of rhythms in the melody of a waltz, but underneath you hear this oom-pah-pah. In 3/4 time, the measure, or bar, will contain 3 beats in every measure. It will also hold this strong-weak-weak pulse. It's just the regular measuring stick along which the music moves - like a yard stick with regular inches.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission