2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, 8 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
how unfortunate. the things people get upset about. hmmph

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
The two vying cultural centers in Russia during Catoire's time were Moscow and St. Petersburg. Rimsky-Korsakov was on the faculty of the St. Petersburg Conservatory, a member of The Five, and was a strong force for the Russian Nationalistic style of composing, as well as being a major composer and orchestrator. So he was really the "heavy weight" in St. Petersburg music circles in the 19th Century. Thus, he had a very strong voice and influence in defining "musical taste" during those times, so it's easy to see how the young upstart Catoire could have been ostracized so easily for his outspoken support of Wagner.

When Catoire returned to Moscow, it would have beneficial to his piano and chamber music had he performed it in recitals. However, in discussions with Klindworth, his first teacher, he made it known that his first love and preference was composing rather than being a touring artist. And like Sergei Bortkiewicz he almost felt that it was self-serving and gauche for a composer to play his own works in public, so declined.

Yet as we saw with Rachmaninoff, by contrast, he was all too happy to play his compositions in recital, and did so very frequently! It greatly helped Rachmaninoff attain success and to establish his works in the standard repertoire. Catoire, however, wanted none of it. So as a highly respected professor at the Moscow Conservatoire, he composed and taught, leaving it, hopefully, to others to promote his works. The irony is that both Bortkiewicz and Catoire were wonderful pianists. But neither tried to help themselves in that respect.

Last edited by RachFan; 10/28/09 06:43 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yet another gorgeous Catoire piece--thanks for recording and sharing.

"I'm a concert pianist--that's a pretentious way of saying I'm unemployed at the moment."--Oscar Levant

http://www.youtube.com/kojiattwood
https://www.giftedmusicschool.org/
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks thracozaag! I'm glad you enjoyed this "Chant No. 1". A big part of learning this Catoire repertoire is sharing it with others, so the pleasure is all mine.

Last edited by RachFan; 10/28/09 06:31 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RachFan
[...]

On transcriptions, ronde-des-sylphes has played a large number of operatic piano transcriptions which he has posted on the piano websites and YouTube. He too is a very fine pianist. If transcriptions interest you, do check out his videos if you haven't already.

I was unable to find anything...perhaps you have a link?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Horowitzian,

Try these links for ronde's recitals of operatic piano transcriptions:

Recitals of operatic transcriptions:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=CC9FA890A54B65EA

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F9942CBA2095D98A

By way, when I was looking at your iTunes, I forgot to mention that it looks like you missed a couple of Bortkiewicz's Preludes, Op. 33, Nos. 5 and 7. Here are the links for those two if you'd like to have them:

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,31935.0.html

http://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php/topic,28391.0.html

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ah, thanks for those links! Couldn't find his stuff anywhere!

I did miss those, thanks so much! smile

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
You're welcome!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Just downloaded both of them!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Both of them sound incredible...great playing as usual. The piano seems slightly out-of-tune in Op. 33 No. 7, which is a shame, because I loved the fire you played it with! Fantastic! smile

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Horowitzian,

On the Bortkiewicz 33/7 sounding a bit out of tune, there were a couple of factors at play to cause it. I had the Baldwin restrung in 2007, and when I made this particular recording thereafter, the new strings had not yet fully stretched to reach full tuning stability. So certain strings could have slipped. The other factor was that this was of my very last analog recordings prior to going digital. Cassette recording tape can have small speed variations, perhaps due to a combination of mechanical reasons and tiny changes in electric current. So that older analog technology could produce "wow and flutter" which also gives the impression that some pitches are off. Someday I plan to go back, relearn that piece, and re-record it digitally. I think it will make a major difference in the sound. And it's such a gorgeous piece, it would be well worth the effort!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I see. Yeah, analog recording can have those difficulties. And fresh strings too. Thanks for the info! smile

I encourage you to record it with your current setup; it will sound wonderful I'm sure! smile

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Hi RachFan,

I've been tardy in downloading and listening to this piece, but now I have. Congratulations! Yet another volley against the fog of anonymity surrounding Catoire, eh? Well-done piece; as someone else said, it feels unstructured, yet not random. You've done quite nicely here.

And though I don't have an iPod, I already have a RachFan music folder on my PC, where I've downloaded and kept your recordings. Not quite a playlist, but the next best thing. :-)

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Hi Chris,

Thanks for listening and for your comments. Also I'm very flattered that you keep a music file of my recordings. Thanks!! Yes, I was aware of walking a fine line between unstructured sound and randomness. Where this is a reverie, Catoire very cleverly worked toward the unstructured using devices like syncopation, ties, broken chords, polyrhythms, etc. The dream state is very unstructured, of course, and he achieved the effect masterfully. But where there IS structure and discipline in the score, it has to be observed by the performer. As I was working through this Op. 24, people would say a certain piece was their favorite. And when I ended with this No. 1, they said, "No, this one is my favorite!" I think what it shows is that virtually all of Catoire's pieces are very good indeed, which pays a high compliment to the composer.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

Updated playlist. smile

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Wow! That's a lot of pieces learned and recorded over the last couple of years. But I cannot think of anything I'd rather be doing! Thanks for reposting the completed list.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You should be proud of yourself. It's a prodigous achievement; one that not so many amateurs (I assume you are an amateur?) have achieved. You're welcome! smile

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Yes, I'm an amateur. So the struggles are much greater for me than for the pros. But mostly I'm happy to have been able to help these long-gone, neglected composers in a positive way.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
You play extremely well; any struggle isn't evident to the listener. smile And you are doing these composers a great service by giving them exposure here. thumb

R
RachFan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for those kind words!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission