2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
I thought I'd start a a thread honoring and appreciating a great American Composer. At least that's my humble opinion. Maybe in 100 years people might look back at his work, like the way we look back at all the old masters we think of today.

Recently my teacher had me start working in a masterful book called Lyric Preludes in Romantic Style (24 short pieces in all keys). After working with a couple and viewing many on U tube, I'm totally impressed by his work. My teacher also had me pick up 3 of his Jazz/blues books which also has some amazing pieces.

For those in the late stages of the Alfred series these are a great way to advance you playing. They are in a classical reading format with a modern sound. The Jazz and Blues pieces speak for them selves.

In this thread I hope to post with everyone's help many of William Gillock pieces by way of U tube examples that might inspired and motivate the community to try. And at the same time honor this wonderful composer.

Recently David Ruzick a new member posted his excellent take on a Gillock piece, its listed below.

I just need to figure out how to embed the videos. I use the embedded links from U tube, but they never seems to works for me, so I just link to them...

So with no further a do...some William Gillock pieces:

Sarabande

Soaring

Moonlight

Autumn Sketch

October Morning

Fountain in the rain

Fountain of Diana

Legend

Serenade [David Ruzicka] a Pianoworld member...

Seascape

Some Blues and Jazz pieces by William Gillock:

New Orleans Nightfall

New Orleans Blues

Bourbon Street Saturday Night

Jazz Prelude

DownTown Beat

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
The Gillock New Orleans Jazz style pieces are great !

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've been working through the Lyric Preludes in Romantic Style. I'm currently working on Soaring. I don't have any videos, but here are three pieces I've recorded:

October Morn

Deserted Ballroom

Serenade

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by DragonPianoPlayer
I've been working through the Lyric Preludes in Romantic Style. I'm currently working on Soaring. I don't have any videos, but here are three pieces I've recorded:

October Morn

Deserted Ballroom

Serenade

Rich

Nice work Rich, I must try serenade. Currently. I have October Morning done and working on Autumn Sketch and Legend. It's nice taking classical training skills out for a walk on these more modern works.

Edit, I just heard your Deserted Ballroom, well done also!

Last edited by Mark...; 10/19/09 10:43 AM.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by theJourney
The Gillock New Orleans Jazz style pieces are great !

I just ordered his 3 book Jazz/Blues combo with CD for only $15.

His blues stuff is great,

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Mark, I love Gillock! I have that Lyric Preludes book and have played almost everything in it. I've done Fountain in the Rain also. I have a whole file of Gillock in my music file, along with Chopin, Mozart, etc. My teacher says that he came to all the music teacher conventions and was as nice as could be. I asked her if she ever had any of her music autographed, and she said she'd never thought of it. Now I send her with my music to every convention so I can get a few things signed before those composers are no longer around.

I can't find my Lyric Prelude book, but I recall two of my favorites being Moonlight Mood and Phantom Rider.

Nancy

Estonia 168
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I was beginning to think I was the only person around here who had heard of William Gillock, I originally stumbled on his works in our city library, I have the Lyric Preludes book...brilliant!.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Autumn Sketch is my favorite from the book. I've taught pieces from that book many, many times. Super expressive pieces, and not at all difficult.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by NancyM333
Mark, I love Gillock! I have that Lyric Preludes book and have played almost everything in it. I've done Fountain in the Rain also. I have a whole file of Gillock in my music file, along with Chopin, Mozart, etc. My teacher says that he came to all the music teacher conventions and was as nice as could be. I asked her if she ever had any of her music autographed, and she said she'd never thought of it. Now I send her with my music to every convention so I can get a few things signed before those composers are no longer around.

I can't find my Lyric Prelude book, but I recall two of my favorites being Moonlight Mood and Phantom Rider.

Nancy

It must of been so nice to meet him in real life. His stuff is just amazing. Moonlight Mood is on my to do list.

Last edited by Mark...; 10/19/09 06:59 PM.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by crusadar
I was beginning to think I was the only person around here who had heard of William Gillock, I originally stumbled on his works in our city library, I have the Lyric Preludes book...brilliant!.

I did a search on Piano World and there were very few references about him. I bet the teachers us him a lot though...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Autumn Sketch is my favorite from the book. I've taught pieces from that book many, many times. Super expressive pieces, and not at all difficult.

Autumn Sketch is a piece I'm trying to bring to speed. I like it a lot also...

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Google: William Gillock

Go to SheetMusicPlus and search for his music.

I've known about William Gillock for a long time through my teaching and it is so wonderful to see adult students appreciate his work!

I like all of your enthusiasm!

D
D
Mark, that was a great idea to start this Gillock thread. I think that his music really deserves more honoring and appreciating.

I would also add a Phantom Rider to your list:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaYAS6fOcP4
I'm not able to play it at this speed, but it's actually very nice even at slower tempo.

Amateur composer
Amateur piano player
Homepage: http://www.david-ruzicka.com/ - my own compositions (piano pieces includes sheet music)
YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/druzdruz
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks David...looking forward to your take on this one.

I'm doing October Morning, Legend, and Autumn Sketch right now and will start Sarabande tomorrow.

Last edited by Mark...; 10/21/09 10:05 AM.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Picked up Sarabande yesterday and went over it with the teacher. I never had a piece fall into place so easy and at the same time loved the sound.

I highly recommend it!!!

Here is the U tube example in the opening post:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5G2P3onZ8

Last edited by Mark...; 10/23/09 09:27 PM.
D
D
I've uploaded my take on Soaring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28-VCpbjEA

Mark: I've heard Sarabande before on youtube. I really like it, maybe I'll try to learn it as well. Are you planing to record video(or just audio) of your interpretation? I'd like to see/hear it.

Amateur composer
Amateur piano player
Homepage: http://www.david-ruzicka.com/ - my own compositions (piano pieces includes sheet music)
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by David Ruzicka
I've uploaded my take on Soaring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28-VCpbjEA

Mark: I've heard Sarabande before on youtube. I really like it, maybe I'll try to learn it as well. Are you planing to record video(or just audio) of your interpretation? I'd like to see/hear it.

Wow David, you really play well and record so easy! Was Soaring difficult?

I always have a tough time recording pieces, I envy you. I will eventual record Sarabande. I bet you can nail Sarabande down in a day.

Mark.

PS: I added your U tube video of Soaring to the opening post.

Last edited by Mark...; 10/25/09 07:37 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi David,

Great job.

Since I'm working on this piece at the moment, it's time for me to put on my nitpicker hat. If I had just listened to you playing I'd never know you were doing this.

The first note of every right hand arpeggio is a quarter note and holding it down for the full length of the note is a skill you will probably want to acquire. If you were to play it on an acoustic piano with out pedal, you would hear the string from that first note respond to the harmonics of the second and third notes of the arps.

Because you are using the pedal, it doesn't change the sound in this piece. However, it is a technique that you will want to have down pat if you decide to work on pieces by J S Bach.

Still, great job on the piece.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by Mark...

Wow David, you really play well and record so easy! Was Soaring difficult?

Thanks, actually I think that your comment on Sarabande ("I never had a piece fall into place so easy and at the same time loved the sound.") is quite fitting for this piece as well.

Originally Posted by Mark...

I always have a tough time recording pieces, I envy you. I will eventual record Sarabande. I bet you can nail Sarabande down in a day.

Mark, don't be mistaken. I've had very hard times to record those playings. For some strange reason I got very nervous when I record myself and it takes several tries for me to get decent performance. Also, there's no way I could learn Sarabande in one day. Usualy it takes me two weeks to learn a piece like this and another two to fine-tune it (I usualy work on three or four pieces at the same time) and then I put it aside. I've learned Soaring some time ago but keep on playing it because I really like it.

Amateur composer
Amateur piano player
D
D
Originally Posted by DragonPianoPlayer
Hi David,
The first note of every right hand arpeggio is a quarter note and holding it down for the full length of the note is a skill you will probably want to acquire. If you were to play it on an acoustic piano with out pedal, you would hear the string from that first note respond to the harmonics of the second and third notes of the arps.

Because you are using the pedal, it doesn't change the sound in this piece. However, it is a technique that you will want to have down pat if you decide to work on pieces by J S Bach.

Rich, you're right. I just tried to play it without pedal and it became apparent immediately. That's why my teacher keeps telling me to practice without pedal and to use pedal only as a reward for a good work smile Otherwise one gets lazy.

Amateur composer
Amateur piano player
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission