Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
68 registered members (Beemer, anotherscott, 2Keys, butchkoch, bluebikes6, Akash, 14 invisible), 1,003 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1290825 - 10/20/09 06:38 PM Use of Pedal??  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
I was under the impression that pedal should be used always. But i read in one of the posts here that it is possible to create a good sound even without it. Actually, there are times that the sound becomes distorted whenever i use the pedal. so, should i practice my pieces without the use of the pedal?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1290851 - 10/20/09 07:21 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
RobM Offline
RobM  Offline

Plymouth, Devon, UK
As with many other things in life, moderation is the key. wink

It really does depend on what you're playing though; baroque classical music, for example, should never be played using the (sustain/damper) pedal, whereas most modern music (especially new-age stuff that I tend to play) will require use of the pedal. Sheet music will generally imply when the pedal should NOT be used by mentioning that a section is to played staccato.

The general rule of thumb as far as I understand it is to lift the pedal before moving to a new chord and then depress it again - you won't go too far wrong by doing this. This way, the notes will not blend together and sound distorted or 'muddy'. I'm sure other people will be able to offer more technical advice than this, but I think you'll eventually just get a feel for what is right.

Welcome to the forum by the way! smile

"All my life I've had one dream: to achieve my many goals." - Homer Simpson
[Linked Image]
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/MastahUK
#1290855 - 10/20/09 07:24 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
BB Player Offline
BB Player  Offline

Not in Texas
By "pedal" I assume you mean the damper (right) pedal.

When and how to use all of the pedals is largely a matter of taste. Many composers indicate pedal use in the score but not all do. Personally, I find that some music (Bach for example) sounds better sans pedal. It is possible to create good sound without it but what constitutes "good sound" is mostly subjective.

I suppose the bottom line is to follow the composers direction (if given) as you learn a piece then experiment.

Greg
#1290863 - 10/20/09 07:39 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
montag Offline
montag  Offline

Argentina
I'm an ABSOLUT beginner, and there's no way that the Moonlight Sonata I started with sounds decent without the all-the-time pedal.

Last edited by montag; 10/20/09 07:39 PM.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1290868 - 10/20/09 07:53 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: montag]  
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
When first learning a piece, I recommend against it. You must first learn to do a good legato (and if it calls for staccato, then there's no need for pedal at all). Sometimes the pedal can disguise poor playing habits. It can also be a bit overwhelming to add right at the beginning stages of a piece. Learn the notes and rhythms without, then decide if it is stylistically appropriate to add pedal. Use professional recordings as reference if there's no indication in the score.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1290998 - 10/21/09 01:43 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: RobM]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
Originally Posted by RobM
As with many other things in life, moderation is the key. wink

It really does depend on what you're playing though; baroque classical music, for example, should never be played using the (sustain/damper) pedal, whereas most modern music (especially new-age stuff that I tend to play) will require use of the pedal. Sheet music will generally imply when the pedal should NOT be used by mentioning that a section is to played staccato.

The general rule of thumb as far as I understand it is to lift the pedal before moving to a new chord and then depress it again - you won't go too far wrong by doing this. This way, the notes will not blend together and sound distorted or 'muddy'. I'm sure other people will be able to offer more technical advice than this, but I think you'll eventually just get a feel for what is right.

Welcome to the forum by the way! smile

Well actually, i'm playing the piece, "Allegro Cantabile" [from the anime, Nodame Cantabile]. anyhoo, there's a part in the piece where when i try to play it with the pedal the sound gets so distorted. and if i try to play it without the pedal, it seems dull and wrong. I've been practicing it for quite a while already and it starting to wear me out. =p well, anyway, i'll try your advice: moderation is the key. =]

Thank you for welcoming me. =]

#1291001 - 10/21/09 01:50 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: BB Player]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
Originally Posted by BB Player
By "pedal" I assume you mean the damper (right) pedal.

When and how to use all of the pedals is largely a matter of taste. Many composers indicate pedal use in the score but not all do. Personally, I find that some music (Bach for example) sounds better sans pedal. It is possible to create good sound without it but what constitutes "good sound" is mostly subjective.

I suppose the bottom line is to follow the composers direction (if given) as you learn a piece then experiment.

oh, so that's what it's called: damper. =]

well, actually, i'm a pedal lover. whenever i play a piece, i always use the pedal because i thought it makes the sound better [except of course if its staccato]. now i realize, that's not always the case. I'll try to experiment and see what happens. :]

thank you! =]

#1291003 - 10/21/09 01:52 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: montag]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
Originally Posted by montag
I'm an ABSOLUT beginner, and there's no way that the Moonlight Sonata I started with sounds decent without the all-the-time pedal.

harhar.. that is soooo true!! :p I played Moonlight Sonata and it sounds better with pedal. Is it supposed to be played without it [the pedal]?

#1291008 - 10/21/09 02:21 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Morodiene]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
Originally Posted by Morodiene
When first learning a piece, I recommend against it. You must first learn to do a good legato (and if it calls for staccato, then there's no need for pedal at all). Sometimes the pedal can disguise poor playing habits. It can also be a bit overwhelming to add right at the beginning stages of a piece. Learn the notes and rhythms without, then decide if it is stylistically appropriate to add pedal. Use professional recordings as reference if there's no indication in the score.

Oh my. Honestly, I have difficulty in "connecting" the notes so i rely with the pedal. You made me realize it's not a good practice. :p what do you suggest should i do? Does the pressure i applied on my fingers affect the sound? Do i have to press hard to have a good legato even without the pedal?

#1291016 - 10/21/09 02:52 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
mr_super-hunky Offline
4000 Post Club Member
mr_super-hunky  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Your pedal is your clutch on a manual transmission, It's there for a reason. USE IT!

#1291068 - 10/21/09 06:27 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: mr_super-hunky]  
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Here are two videos from my Clair de lune from Scratch series that might help you better understand the basics of using the damper pedal to connect notes:

Let me know if you find these helpful smile

#1291079 - 10/21/09 06:48 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
marimorimo Offline
500 Post Club Member
marimorimo  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Manila
Originally Posted by onherkeys
what do you suggest should i do? Does the pressure i applied on my fingers affect the sound? Do i have to press hard to have a good legato even without the pedal?

P.S. I am most certainly not a teacher but I had problems playing legato at the beginning (corrected by my teacher) so I know a bit about it. It doesn't have anything to do with the pressure applied on the fingers. Do you know how legato playing sounds? I suggest you ask someone who is a knowledgeable pianist to play something legato for you. It's easier to get the hint that way. Basically you make the notes overlap each other slightly. The more overlap, the more legato. This means you start hitting the next note while the previous note is still held down.

To the more knowledgeable pianists, please correct me if I my idea is wrong.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
#1291093 - 10/21/09 07:39 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: mr_super-hunky]  
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
EJR  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
Your pedal is your clutch on a manual transmission, It's there for a reason. USE IT!

I think an "Automatic" pedal would be useful with settings for Baroque, Classical, romantic etc....

I hate pedalling and always overdo it.... laugh

#1291113 - 10/21/09 08:09 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: mr_super-hunky]  
sotto voce Offline
6000 Post Club Member
sotto voce  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

Briarcliff Manor, NY, USA
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky

But use it only when shifting gears. Don't ride it!

Steven

#1291155 - 10/21/09 09:09 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: sotto voce]  
Mark... Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Jersey Shore
We always debate about having a teacher especially in the early phases of learning and this thread bears it out in spades...

#1291157 - 10/21/09 09:13 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL

Oh my. Honestly, I have difficulty in "connecting" the notes so i rely with the pedal. You made me realize it's not a good practice. :p what do you suggest should i do? Does the pressure i applied on my fingers affect the sound? Do i have to press hard to have a good legato even without the pedal?

There are times when it is not possible to play legato without the pedal (large leaps for instance), it all depends on the piece. To play proper legato, you must walk from finger to finger and have no space in sound between keys. Just like when we walk on our feet, we don't hop from one to the next, there is a point at which both feet are touching the floor. Use your ears to guide you in this. The pedal shoudl be used more for the tone it provides, and not for substituting a good legato (except in the above instance of large leaps).

[Linked Image]
#1291201 - 10/21/09 10:07 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Morodiene]  
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Studio Joe  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Decatur, Texas
To play proper legato, you must walk from finger to finger and have no space in sound between keys. Just like when we walk on our feet, we don't hop from one to the next, there is a point at which both feet are touching the floor.

Great analogy Morodiene.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
#1291239 - 10/21/09 11:24 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Hugh Sung]  
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member
BazC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
Those two vids are great Hugh, they helped tremendously, thanks!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
#1291255 - 10/21/09 12:01 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
Monica K. Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Monica K.  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Lexington, Kentucky

Well actually, i'm playing the piece, "Allegro Cantabile" [from the anime, Nodame Cantabile]. anyhoo, there's a part in the piece where when i try to play it with the pedal the sound gets so distorted. and if i try to play it without the pedal, it seems dull and wrong.

Welcome to the forum, onherkeys! If there's a general rule of thumb at all to pedaling (other than 'use it in moderation'), it's to pedal with chord changes. It could be that there's a chord change going on in this section that sounds distorted, so you need to lift off and pedal again with the new chord. If you can scan or post a few lines from the sheet music, I'm sure we can give you advice about where/whether to pedal in the piece.

Mason & Hamlin A -- 91997
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
#1291408 - 10/21/09 04:10 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Monica K.]  
Cassandra Hall Offline
Cassandra Hall  Offline

Portland, Oregon
The correct terminology for the pedal technique RobM is reffering to is "Overlapping Pedal"

The Sustain pedal is on the right and the Damper pedal is on the left

You might get more insight on this by making an inquiry in the Piano Teachers forum. I'm sure you would get some more info there.

I play the Moonlight Sonata and it uses lots of overlapping pedal technique.

Kind Regards,

Zoe Hall
Kawai KG-2
Kawai MP9000
#1291434 - 10/21/09 04:49 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Cassandra Hall]  
Studio Joe Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Studio Joe  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Decatur, Texas
Originally Posted by Cassandra Hall

Sustain and damper are different names for the same pedal. Notes are sustained when the pedal is depressed, and damped when it is released. Sustain/damper
is the one on the right. The one on the left is the soft pedal (una chorda).

Last edited by Studio Joe; 10/21/09 04:56 PM.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
#1291467 - 10/21/09 06:11 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Studio Joe]  
Cassandra Hall Offline
Cassandra Hall  Offline

Portland, Oregon
I thought the soft pedal was the damper! Ha, thanks for insight.

Kind Regards,

Zoe Hall
Kawai KG-2
Kawai MP9000
#1291533 - 10/21/09 07:52 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Cassandra Hall]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
Photobucket

here is the piece that i'm trying to play. Whenever I play this part with the pedal, the sound gets so distorted. should i play it without it, the pedal?

Last edited by onherkeys; 10/21/09 07:55 PM.
#1291544 - 10/21/09 08:30 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Cassandra Hall]  
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
The correct terminology for the pedal technique RobM is reffering to is "Overlapping Pedal"

You might get more insight on this by making an inquiry in the Piano Teachers forum. I'm sure you would get some more info there.

I play the Moonlight Sonata and it uses lots of overlapping pedal technique.

sustain and Damper refer to the same pedal. Damper is the name used on acoustic pianos and sustain is used on digitals. The Damper pedal refers to the dampers lifting off the strings. This does not happen with the left pedal (which is referred to as the una corda or soft pedal). The term sustain pedal most likely is a cross over from guitar with foot switches which then were adapted for the early synthesizers.

[Linked Image]
#1291545 - 10/21/09 08:31 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Studio Joe]  
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by Studio Joe

Sustain and damper are different names for the same pedal. Notes are sustained when the pedal is depressed, and damped when it is released. Sustain/damper
is the one on the right. The one on the left is the soft pedal (una chorda).

Opps, sorry Joe, you got it before me. smile

[Linked Image]
#1291668 - 10/22/09 02:29 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Hugh Sung]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung
Here are two videos from my Clair de lune from Scratch series that might help you better understand the basics of using the damper pedal to connect notes:

wow! this is great!! :] thank you very much! =] I'll be visiting your site; i want to learn claire de lune. =]

#1291713 - 10/22/09 07:55 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung

wow! this is great!! :] thank you very much! =] I'll be visiting your site; i want to learn claire de lune. =]

You're welcome! I'll see if I can sketch out a suggested pedaling for your piece - it sounds very pretty!

#1291743 - 10/22/09 08:57 AM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Hugh Sung]  
Hugh Sung Offline
Hugh Sung  Offline

Philadelphia, PA
Here's a suggested pedaling for you:

[Linked Image]

The red pedaling line shows a basic option that tries to make the melody line (in highlight blue on the top staff) clear. The highlighted yellow options are slightly more advanced options that try to make some of the passing tones clear as well (you could add an extra pedal in m. 48 right in between that last two changes if you'd like a cleaner sound).

Let me know if this helps make the piece sound better smile

#1292074 - 10/22/09 07:09 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: Hugh Sung]  
onherkeys Offline
onherkeys  Offline

Philippines
oh my, thank you!! I can't wait to try it later. =] It will definitely sound better. =] thank you, thank you! I'll let you know what happens when i try it. =] thanks a lot, Hugh Sung! =]

#1292144 - 10/22/09 09:06 PM Re: Use of Pedal?? [Re: onherkeys]  
OldFingers Offline
500 Post Club Member
OldFingers  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Boston, MA
Hugh Sung, I found your You-tube lecture on the use of the damper pedal to be excellent. Thank you for your generosity.

Bob

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Pearl River Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A flying concert grand piano - fun!
by Rich Galassini. 01/21/18 07:38 AM
Melville Clark Apollo Grand - What to do?
by PGA Rick. 01/20/18 11:09 PM
Wanted: Verituner 100
by Will Horne. 01/20/18 10:30 PM
Help - rhythm
by Moo :). 01/20/18 07:07 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,889
Posts2,689,046
Members89,486
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission