2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Dalem01, Cheeeeee, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Dfrankjazz, Carey, 7 invisible), 2,075 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Nice Lark you have there JW.

I just uploaded and I am afraid the sound is no better. But I'll post anyway because I am sure you will get the idea of what I have tried to do.

Here's the first one. It's just the chord progressions for the first part of the prelude played in a sort of new age way, think of it as a kind of eweiss meets Bach laugh I tried to get the dynamics to follow the dischord/resolutions and cadences. I don't know if you can pick it up but it might be useful for someone learning it.

Then just for fun I decided to do another run of the prelude at a slightly faster tempo. You wouldn't know it but at measure 15 I am really tickling the keys but that bloody auto volume is scuppering me. Don't ask me why I decided to play octave G's, maybe I just like the bass on that piano!

I had more fun this time.

Pianist and piano teacher.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Ah...Bach is rolling over in his grave!! "New Age" Bach?

All kidding aside, I do like your latest video. Good tempo choice and interesting pacing of dynamics. Bravo!

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Someone might have already PM'd JW about how to get the youtube clip to show up directly but I will explain briefly because it took me a while to work it out.

On youtube you need to click 'share' underneath your clip or on the screen when it has finished playing.

It then gives you a URL(is that right?) which you need to highlight and copy.

On the pianoworld full reply screen there is an icon that looks like a TV screen, 5th from the left which when you run your cursor over it should say "Enter a media tag"

Click that icon and paste your URL into the text box that appears.

That should be it, all done!

AZN, I almost said that the great man would be turning in his grave grin

Too bad! He's not here and there's nothing he can do about it.

J
J
THANKS CHRIS H!

I FINALLY found out how to do it because you took the time to explain it to me. I tried over and over again but finally gave up because I was hitting a brick wall and it felt so good when I stopped.

THANKS - and I thoroughly enjoyed your great new videos on YouTube! I sense the different dynamics by the changing tone of the piano - and by visual cues; however, the overall volume level of the video seems to be relatively the same anyways.

In any event, Bach would have been proud. Bravo!

Following your exact method I get:

I would have edited my first post above but now the "Edit" feature has disappeared on that post. Everything I seem to touch turns to dust. Alas.

M
M
My major instrument isn't piano, but I have a number of videos of my playing (and some of my students) on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/clariniano.

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JWAbacus
I would have edited my first post above but now the "Edit" feature has disappeared on that post. Everything I seem to touch turns to dust. Alas.
I can't help thinking you're a little too deep into the Romantic era.

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I have one more to share with you if you don't mind?

I recorded the C# major prelude on my Yamaha U1 instead of the Schimmel just to see what the difference in sound is like. No fugue yet I'm afraid as I am having some problems which are explained in the other thread. The playing in this one is a bit raw. At the moment it's a little sloppy and uneven in places and not always together but I will need to do it again when the fugue is done anyway.

What I want to know is what you think about Schimmel vs Yamaha?

I know it's hard to tell because of the poor quality audio but does anyone have any general thoughts? I can't get the camera to the right because as you can see I am up against sliding glass doors. You do get a nice reflection of my garden in the shiny poly finish though. It might be possible to rig something up to shoot from over my right shoulder but I can't think how right now.

M
M
I love the reflection of the trees in the finish on the piano! LOL it looks like your piano is alive.

The Schimmel seems to be a warmer sound, but more prone to cutting out in the audio than the Yamaha as a result. The Yamaha I think records better, but my guess is the Schimmel sounds better in person. I'm a fan of a warmer sound than bright, but I love the feel of Yamahas.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

I think your Schimmel has a much mellower (and to me more pleasing) sound. The treble on the Yamaha was particularly strident, for want of a better word.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Chris!

Personally, I would like to see your position at the piano! Shoulders, arms, etc. I've seen your picture! Your's good looking guy. You have nothing to hide!

No pressure! Just what I can see! smile

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Diane, if I show that then I would have to make sure I sit properly instead of my usual lazy slouch! A haircut might be an idea too.

Actually I wasn't sure about doing this. I'm very shy you know. But then I did tell someone over on the ABF that they should show themselves in the video so I guess it's only fair. Not easy though. It's nice to hide off the screen.

Thanks for the comments on the pianos. I think I prefer the Schimmel in general although the action is quicker on the Yamaha. My camcorder really doesn't do either of them justice but I think I will go with the Schimmel anyway.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Chris H.
But then I did tell someone over on the ABF that they should show themselves in the video so I guess it's only fair. Not easy though. It's nice to hide off the screen.

You told someone else to show themselves in the video, and you don't do this yourself???

Glenn Gould never apologized for his posture! smile Come on Chris, it's not like we're asking you to wear a "3 piece suit"! Would be nice, but a nice shirt, and pants, will be fine! Looking forward to the WHOLE picture! grin

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I'll say maybe for now!

The nice thing about your videos (and others like it), Chris, is that they show the hands at a close enough angle that you can see better how you're playing. So from a pedagogical perspective, your camera angle might be more helpful. But I do think if you're going to include this on your website to attract prospective students, you'd want to post a video that showed your head/face, too, so that you look approachable. smile

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Monica K.
But I do think if you're going to include this on your website to attract prospective students, you'd want to post a video that showed your head/face, too, so that you look approachable. smile

Well, if you think it will help with my marketing.......

Here goes....

[Linked Image]

Shucks, now we can't see your hands!

C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
Okay, I'm not entirely comfortable with this but I'll give it a shot.

Here I am, warts and all.....

I tried to get a camera angle where you can still see enough hands. My playing is rough but it's the best I can do today. Memory is only just holding out on the fugue and my brain still feels like it's in the wrong key!

The sound seems to be worse this time, really bright.

I wouldn't mind comments on the articulations and tempos. The prelude was slightly slower this time and I played without any pedal except for a dab on the arpeggios at the end. In the fugue my RH is very dominant and the LH just doesn't come through with the theme so that needs sorting out. Excuse the odd blemish and uneven passages as I am only using this for practice at the moment.

Very impressive. I can't help thinking that automatic volume control isn't helping. The fugue was accurate but I wonder if you understood it?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Nice work! I think the prelude's tempo is fine. I wouldn't play any faster than that. When I play it, I use more dynamic shading and bring out the sequences that are being passed between hands.

Your fugue is good! That fugue hasn't entered my repertoire, yet. I could imagine the inner voices articulating the subject a little louder. But I like how you kept the subjects consistent.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
C
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
C
I can't do anything about the auto volume. There is no way to switch it off with that camera.

kbk, it depends what you mean by "understood". Not in great depth at this stage as I am still trying to get round the notes. I can hear that it's breathless so I'm thinking you mean phrasing?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission