2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,402 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C2 and C3 use the same action assembly. Pull out the actions from both, you will see the C2/C3 stamps on them.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Marty/pno
Would I be correct in assuming that the c5/c6 share an action, and the c7/cfIII also share an action?

If that were the case, it would roughly correspond with Steinway....

D
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
Often the C2 gives a more personal and intimate playing experience for the player who plays for his or her personal enjoyment rather than in a recital situation where the player is playing more for an audience.

When I say C3 is in another class I meant C3 suits for performance and audiences, while C2 is best for home and personal enjoyment. Perhaps I misundertood Marty's quote here.

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have not personally looked at C5/6/7's action assemblies. I have only seen C2/3's myself. But based on what's said on the following site, the C5 has its own action, while C6/7 shares the same action.

http://www.scopereviews.com/piano.html

The information on the site was dated 2007 so surely it was based on the L models (the generation prior to the current M models). So it could be dated.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
J
J
Originally Posted by Dandelion
From reading posts above and some on PianoStreet.com Forum, I now feel C3 isn't just a bigger and more expensive C2, rather in another class.

Not "in another class" but certainly a bigger bass and a slightly better treble. Both are great instruments. I've played more C3s than any other instrument but that doesn't mean they're better: surely it just means that they sell well!

P
P
I would not worry about room size. The C3 is often found in small practice rooms. We've used it in a room about the size you've described and a larger room. It's never seemed over-powering. I'd buy the one you enjoy the most. When we were looking 9 years ago, there did seem to be a big jump between the C2 and C3 -- not just in sound, but also in quality -- but Yamaha has made an effort recently to improve the C1 and C2, and I've heard good things about both on these forums. If you're looking at used pianos, then you may want to consider this, but for new ones, quality should be comparable. I'd also recommend the Kawai RX series, which we now prefer for smaller grands, and they can be less expensive. Play them all and choose the one that sounds and feels best for you. They're all good.

IMO, $13k for a C2 sounds reasonable, if from a dealer who preps well and includes moving and tuning, but if it's a private sale, then I would think you could do a little better in this market.

D
OP Offline
D
Thank you pilgrimjoel for your thought on the price of a 2004 C2. Since it is a private sale, I will hire a piano tech to check it out, hire a piano mover, and have it tuned, all at my expense.

Yamaha offers a 10 year warranty on its new piano. Does this mean I will inherit what's left of 10 years warranty?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yamaha warranties are for the original owner only and not transferrable.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
[quote=turandot]Dandelion,

Marty has given you the straight scoop. Actually, Hyona is contemplating a C3 for a room 11 X 12 with glass doors. It's not a good fit, but what can you do? People ask for advice and then ignore it. grin

You should ignore the 'pitiful' description of the C2 bass. The only thing pitiful is that a member should choose such language to describe a wonderful piano in its own right. If you don't choose to post your space considerations, at least factor them in. Both the C2 and the C3 will have a louder and more immediate sound in the typical home environment that they do in a showroon.

[/quote

maybe 'pitiful' wasn't the best choice of adjectives. My apologies to anyone who took offence. That being said, this is a forum and I have the right to my opinion. If you, Turandot, feel the need and entitlement to tell other members to disregard posts that don't sit well with YOU that's your right. If you feel the need and entitlement to criticize my choice of words as pitiful that too is your right (here in the forum environment). However, I have certain standards for what I consider pros and cons of any particular piano and it's my prerogative to give an honest opinion based on these standards. In MY opinion the C2 (especially when compared to the C3) has a bass tone and sustain that would be a deal breaker for me. What validates your opinion to a level that justifies (in your mind) dismissal of my opinion?

Jazz/Improvising Pianist, Composer, University Prof.
At home: C. Bechstein Concert 8, Roland RD88
At work: Kawai GX2, Dave Smith Prophet Rev2 16-voice
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by cruiser
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
cruiser,

How exactly are AJF's comments ill-informed if AJF teaches regularly on a Yamaha C2 and C3?

...because he described the C2's bass as 'pitiful', which is not true of either the C2M or the earlier models - unless one is making a comparison with a concert grand. Even then, the adjective is inappropriate - 'weaker' perhaps, but certainly not 'pitiful'

I can only assume that AJF has not played the new C2M which is a totally different animal when compared to it's predecessor.

well then, it's a good thing we've got the expert opinion of a linguistics proofreader to set the record straight for all of us ill informed professional pianists wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
maybe 'pitiful' wasn't the best choice of adjectives.

No it wasn't, and I believe you actually said "pitiful at best". I know your "professional pianist" credentials mean a lot to you, but I don't think it matters whether you're a professional pianist or a professional steampipefitter. That wasn't the best choice of words.

It's not difficult to declare a favorite between two pianos without slamming the other. No real need to slam the C2 or to irritate its owners.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I consider the bass on the C2's I've played to be seriously deficient for musical purposes. You call my opinion 'slamming' I call it being frank from a place of honesty. I Do take my professional credentials seriously. I've worked my ass off for thousands and thousands of hours at the piano which earns me the right to put a little stock in my opinions. If you've got a pain in your stomach do you ask advice from your neighbour who watches the discovery network and fancies himself an armchair physician or do you go to your doctor who has a medical licence and graduated from medical school?
Why is it that when someone here has a strong opinion about a topic someone inevitably jumps in and calls it ' slamming?'

Last edited by AJF; 10/21/09 12:47 AM.

Story of my life AJF. I am so thankful now that someone knows my pain about being put on the chopping block for having an opinion that doesn't fit a stereo type. You and I should start a club or something. LOL

Louis Bousquet
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Indeed! With Adrean's credentials and your pure class, it would be awesome!!!

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
D
OP Offline
D
In which year Yamaha started to produce C2M, 2006? 2007?

D
OP Offline
D
In the last 18-24 months Yamaha has made changes in the C2 to bring it more in line with the C3 and larger pianos. Changes included the use of Ivorite synthetic ivory and ebony key tops and vertically laminated bridges. Older C2s will not have these upgrades.

cruiser, I saw your new C2M photos posted in March. What a beauty!

Since Marty said C2's improvement came in the last 18-24 months, I assume a 2004 C2 is an "L".

A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by turandot

come on! Someone with your commanding wit can't come up with something better? I'm a little disappointed.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To be honest guys, I know most of you have BIG pianos but I find some comments really 'pitiful' . Some people have smaller budgets and are not professional pianist, this does not mean that smaller pianos are not musical or no good!

I have a very tiny piano in your eyes, for me it is big enough and the bass annoys the neighbors already so a 'bigger' bass isn't always better! The bigger is better mentality on this forum is very exhausting, some people live in a normal size home, not in some concert avenue, you must understand that! Some people also have other interest besides pianos, like vacation, or kids or any other money consuming hobbies. Not everyone can loan a fortune and live on it's great size piano only, there is more to life you know.....

We come to PW because we love pianos and making music, no need to get snobby about it! Pianos come in all sizes, it has a size for everyone!

Tnxs

Schimmel Konzert 189 Tradition
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Dandelion
In the last 18-24 months Yamaha has made changes in the C2 to bring it more in line with the C3 and larger pianos. Changes included the use of Ivorite synthetic ivory and ebony key tops and vertically laminated bridges. Older C2s will not have these upgrades.

cruiser, I saw your new C2M photos posted in March. What a beauty!

Since Marty said C2's improvement came in the last 18-24 months, I assume a 2004 C2 is an "L".

Yes, the Ls were phased out end 2007. They're still a good piano though, with a decent bass for the size. The tonal improvements between the L and M are more noticeable in the treble section where the bridge was improved.

The 'ebony' sharps Marty referred to are not real ebony, but a wood composite look alike. (Good though)

Patrick - I agree with you, your GC1 is a great piano - who plays that bottom octave anyway?

Chris Venables
Venables Pianos
Yamaha Pianos, Petrof Pianos and Venables & Son
UK Grand Piano Centre.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

As long as you would be barred from participating, I'd be happy to join that club. grin Some people like to play arbiter over others. Where are your credentials that enable you to do so? It can't be your skills at the keyboard. grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission