2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
41 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,157 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Hop Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by nstaff
I don't know if you have any advice but...I am a new piano buyer looking to spend roughly $3,500 on an upright. A piano dealer has quoted me $3,000 for either a new Young Chang or a George steck/Hobart Cable/Falcone (last 3 made by same company I think?). He said I could also go with a used Ymaha but I think that will sound too bright for my girlfriend who I am buying the piano for.

What I have done in similar gift situations (not knowing exactly what the giftee prefers) is to present a "gift certificate" (in this case for a piano). You could then explain that you have seen some, then take her to look at the ones you have seen and are willing to purchase. She can then decide where to go from there.

Hop

HG178, Roland FP-5, Casio PX 130
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My suggestion would be to ask your GF's help for a "friend" who wants to buy a piano. Tell her your "friend's" budget and let her look. See what she thinks would be acceptable. Ask her if she were buying for herself, what would she buy? Tell her the friend has a talented son, daughter, whatever - who plays what she plays - and that the friend wants to surprise that person. That way you find out what she might choose.

P
P
All in all it's a very romantic sweet thought, but I still think the whole thing is a really bad idea for all the reasons that have been listed . . . and a few that haven't.

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nstaff
Sorry it took me so long to respond....definitely NOT digital (she would kill me). I understand about it being a bad idea to buy a piano for someone...what to do, what to do wink

Thanks to all for your input

you're on the right track!

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
P
P
Try searching your local area for free or really low cost pianos "for sale by owner". Or place a "low cost piano wanted" add. Heck, if you're in the CT-USA area I have a Baldwin upright you can have for free. It hasn't been tuned in about 5 years, so it will need several tunings before it will hold a tune. Estimate 4 tunings within the first 6 months at $150 per tuning.

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission