2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, 6 invisible), 1,908 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thanks Jazzwee had fun noodling with that last night!

Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
simon - that was cool! It would have made a great piece for late Fri night in a piano bar! smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Thanks Cathy, I was in a relaxed mood!

Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee

What these patterns do is mix between chords of the scale (1/5/7) with chords outside of the scale (#1/5/7) so you have to kind of alternate so the tension/dissonance gets a little bit of release by returning to the base key (C).

Why pick 1/5/7 (1/3/4)? Is this just at random, or is there some logic behind it?

I have several thoughts about this.

On the one hand, it's very interesting, and throws up some new harmonies.

On the other, I can't really see myself using it much, because my brain couldn't take it into another key.

Also, I'm not at the level where I can see what kind of chord is going to come out, predict the sound, and make adjustments to avoid a really bad clash. So I'm not going to 'perform' with this. I think it might be a different story for someone who's already well-versed in voicings and harmonies, and can make little decisions as they go along.

It would be interesting to hear the outcome from someone who genuinely knows nothing about theory. That would be the proof of the pudding! smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I recorded this today for my submission to the Mary improvs.

Mary-Variations

---

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Why pick 1/5/7?

I just made that up actually (although there's some logic to selection - a major third interval and a 9th interval will hit some good combinations).

I could have said let's do 1/3/5/7 (which is awfully close), in which case we would be doing scale degrees of the C scale in seventh chords.

For an advanced person, what I showed has some inherent meaning, which is probably too much to get into in this thread. Maybe it's something to cover in the Jazz thread (discussion already occuring in the Non-Classical section).

For the beginner, it gives a comfort level to the "physicality" of the instrument and how it connects to scale degrees. Using the #1/5/7 pattern (and there are many many more possible patterns), shows how you can move away from the current key one note at a time and see how it sounds.

It allows a beginner to think about reharmonization and not be scared of chords, and after all, we already know the scales. This is just running through the scale.

It's easily applied to any key as the base pattern is just the seventh chord without the 3rd. It does have to be practiced since the intervals change with
each scale degree. It is indeed another layer of information for the advanced player, beyond normal voicings. But many advanced players use this.

Anyway, this thread is about reharmonization and it just provided one tool to reharmonize by ear just using the patterns I stated (without needing to initially understand the chords that back it up).

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Joe that was really neat! It was like a "Broadway" version smile Although I thought I heard everything from Ragtime, Broadway, and Pop. The modulation made it interesting too.

That was really creative and of course well executed. I know you like writing the score out so maybe you can post it for everyone.

Thanks for sharing that.

Such variation here. It's really fun!

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Jazzwee, I appreciate your comments.

I am working on the score, but it may be a few days before it's finished. It seems to take longer to write the score than it does to improvise a piece.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I wanted to dance to that one, Joe!

Well, I tried the 134 and 134# chords a few times last night. I was a little awkward playing them, but I liked how it sounded - MOST of the time. I just don't remember which combinations I didn't like.

Since I have no way of recording, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. Besides, it wasn't anywhere as good as what I've been hearing here. :-) I'm bookmarking this thread so I can keep going back to it when it disappears.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Joe, that was great fun smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram

Well, I tried the 134 and 134# chords a few times last night. I was a little awkward playing them, but I liked how it sounded - MOST of the time. I just don't remember which combinations I didn't like.

Since I have no way of recording, I guess you'll just have to take my word for it. Besides, it wasn't anywhere as good as what I've been hearing here. :-) I'm bookmarking this thread so I can keep going back to it when it disappears.

mom3gram, I'm glad you tried it out. You can noodle Christmas carols and such this way as well. And if you write them down (the ones that sound good), you just did a reharmonization smile In this case, all you have to remember is the first note.

Now later in the thread, I re-arranged it into another inversion (1-5-7 and #1-5-7) which plays better on the LH. This one you can play lower. It's really the same thing but is what we call a more "open" voicing vs. a "clustered" voicing.

When we make chords in unusual forms (not the usual 1-3-5 and its inversions), we refer to it as a voicing.

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, I plan to try the 1-5-7 next.

Any suggestion as to which Christmas Carol would be the best to try this on? Jingle Bells?

I was wondering what "voicing" meant. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Lesson 1 - Intro to Scale Degrees

I'm hoping more people will try this out and get excited about playing by ear. So for those less advanced, I'm going to write out a simple version, and then we'll go from here and maybe learn about some music theory.

This is called a "Lead Sheet". It gives the chords to use and the bars signify 4 beats. So if you see two chords in a bar, give each a count of 2 beats.

Lead Sheet - Mary Had A Little Lamb

| CMaj7 FMaj7| Mary had ..
| CMaj7 | Little lamb...
| G7 | Little lamb...
| CMaj7 |
| CMaj7 FMaj7 | Mary had ..
| CMaj7 | Little Lamb
| G7 | Whose Fleece...
| CMaj7 | Snow

Now all the notes in the above chords are all white notes and are in the key of C. I will teach you about something called "Scale Degrees". Starting with the first note of the scale (C), put your fingers on alternating notes.

So from the C Scale of C D E F G A B C

You will come up with:
C-E-G-B

Let's call this the 'I' chord or the first chord. Now if we use our same four fingers and move it up one step, keeping the same alternating notes, we come up with

D-F-A-C

and the next step is

E-G-B-D

etc.

Written out in sequence and with a Roman Numeral to identify it, the chords are as follows:

Scale Degrees in C
I C-E-G-B (CMaj7)
ii D-F-A-C (Dm7)
iii E-G-B-D (Em7)
IV F-A-C-E (FMaj7)
V G-B-D-F (G7)
vi A-C-E-G (Am7)
vii B-D-F-A (Bm7b5)

Now what's interesting about this is that skipping alternate scale notes in any key will result in the same sequence of chords types REGARDLESS OF KEY. The first chord is always major, the next is minor, etc. And the first chord is always the first note of the scale and then one step after in sequence. So this is clear, music theorists show Major chords as Capitalized and minor chords as lower case.

Now Let's express the tune Mary had a Little Lamb in Roman numeral format:

| I IV| Mary had ..
| I | Little lamb...
| V | Little lamb...
| I |
| I IV | Mary had ..
| I | Little Lamb
| V | Whose Fleece...
| I | Snow

This short cut form shows that the tune uses I, IV and V chords in its regular form. Based on the scale degrees chart above, you will find that I and IV are always Major and the V chord is always a Dominant 7th.

Some posters have used other sequences like IV-vii-iii-vi-ii-V-I or portions thereof.

This is the circle of fifths order and is VERY common in many popular and jazz tunes.
IV-vii-iii-vi-ii-V-I. So when you see them refer to Roman numerals, then you will understand what they are talking about.

Changing Key

If you know Roman numerals, you can pretty much translate this tune to any key.
I IV V in the key of F are chords starting with FMaj7 CMaj7 D7.

So knowing the Roman numeral notation simplifies the understanding of chord progressions. Most tunes can be expressed using this.

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Intro to Fancy Voicings

This is an introduction to the more interesting chords used here. This is just basic introduction to "Voicings". it will show you how to make those lush sounds you hear in piano.

Again, I refer to our original discussion of Scale Degrees in the key of C as shown below.

Scale Degrees in C
I C-E-G-B (CMaj7)
ii D-F-A-C (Dm7)
iii E-G-B-D (Em7)
IV F-A-C-E (FMaj7)
V G-B-D-F (G7)
vi A-C-E-G (Am7)
vii B-D-F-A (Bm7b5)

Now we're going to change this. Instead of 4 notes, we will make it 5 notes per chord. The rule is the same, any additional note is added by skipping a note in between. So the chords will look like this now.

Scale Degrees in C
I C-E-G-B-D (CMaj7(9) )
ii D-F-A-C-E (Dm7(9) )
iii E-G-B-D-F (Em7(9) )
IV F-A-C-E-G (FMaj7(9) )
V G-B-D-F-A (G7(9) )
vi A-C-E-G-B (Am7(9) )
vii B-D-F-A-C (Bm7b5(9) )

So now all of the chords have a little extra color note which is referred to as the "9th". It doesn't matter if you don't remember that. All you need to know is that you can add an extra alternating note to the original set of 4.

Now wait.

If you are playing the melody on the RH, you can't play these 5 notes as 1 chord. So I want you to visualize it this way as shown below. Think of the first note as a bass note that is separate from the other 4 notes. You can think of playing the bass note separate from the rest of the chord. Now notice that the chord following the bass note is actually a chord a third away in scale degrees. I will indicate the bass code and the chord implied by the next 4 notes.

Scale Degrees in C
I C / E-G-B-D (Em7)
ii D / F-A-C-E (FMaj7 )
iii E / G-B-D-F (G7)
IV F / A-C-E-G (Am7 )
V G / B-D-F-A (Bm7b5 )
vi A / C-E-G-B (CMaj7 )
vii B / D-F-A-C (Dm7 )

You don't need to know what chords I named the ones after the bass note but I just showed it there to show the interesting relationship (a little like Math).

If you play a chord without the bass note, it can apply to the original chord but without a "root", also referred to as a "rootless" voicing. Because of the ambiguity of the chord (for example, is it a CMaj7 or an Em7? ), it creates an interesting response in the listener and generates an extra tension.

Now when actually playing, often the bass note is played separately from the chord, like Stride. To have this make sense, I'm playing 'Mary' in an example link below. The first time around, I play it without the Bass note and you can hear it imply the Em7, Amy, and Bm7b5 chords. Then the second time around, I add the bass and instead of hearing the original chords, you now hear lush voicings.

Have fun with this. Remember this is just an introduction but it is enough to have people play any chord by ear.

http://www.box.net/shared/pq3krq4s55

My Jazz Blog

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mom3gram
Yes, I plan to try the 1-5-7 next.

Any suggestion as to which Christmas Carol would be the best to try this on? Jingle Bells?

I was wondering what "voicing" meant. :-)

BTW - that 1-5-7 and #1-5-7 is addicting. I could just on the piano and invent tunes and the RH just has to make any melody in the white notes. It's great for a little background piano since no one needs to know what you're playing smile

For Christmas Carols, you'll need to think of tunes that are I-IV-V. Jingle Bells, Silent Night, We Three Kings, O Christmas Tree, gosh there's so many.

There are several that follow the circle of fifths so you can fit them into the scale degrees I discuss above but they're not I/IV/V. Tunes like "White Christmas","Have Yourself a Merry Christmas".

Just stay away from the Jazz based ones like "Christmas Song - Chestnuts Roasting....". That one's more work, or some Vince Guaraldi tune.

We could change the title of the thread because this could go on an on and we can handle all the typical songs just using those 1/5/7 and #1/5/7. BTW - just so it's clear, I just invented that smile That's not from any book.

My Jazz Blog

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I've not had time to digest everything jazzwee's said here, but I just wanted to say I loved Joe's version 3hearts and I'm thrilled to bits the mom3gram tried it too! thumb It's a shame we can't hear how it turned out, but I'm glad you tried it anyway.

Wow..this is a neat thread. I just love the jazz-type ones. Could someone do something that sounds a bit 'dark' too, if you know what I mean? I have the most amazing rendition of Jingle Bells on a Christmas CD. A really gothic sort of sound.

Keep these coming! wow

Behind every successful woman is some twit who's lost the remote....
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
TLT, I'm so glad you liked it. I was afraid that it wouldn't be recieved very well because I don't use the jazz chords that you all are studying.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! I have a lot of homework here! This should keep me busy for a while. Thanks, Jazzwee.

I've got a vacation coming up for 9 days, starting Tuesday. No piano access. But I will see what I can do before then and hope my brain retains some of it till I get back.

This is such a great thread!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Studio Joe
TLT, I'm so glad you liked it. I was afraid that it wouldn't be recieved very well because I don't use the jazz chords that you all are studying.

It's not what you play, it's the way that you play it! cool

There's a bit, where it does go 'darker', and I can just picture the villain in a Buster Keyton flick tying up the blond and leaving her on the train-tracks. smile

Why not re-post this in the October piano bar? It's been a bit quiet there these last few days.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission