2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
That was very pretty TLT! Now that was a great exercise in Dynamics wasn't it smile I had to pull out my earphones to hear it. Shows off your Grade 8 skills...

In answer to your question, the idea is that 1-3-4 is the chord. There is no other chord. So the RH is just playing the melody. Because it is a cluster, it should be played higher up register wise.

But of course, you can also play it as an inversion. The other combination uses one Altered tone (1-3-4#). It creates some nice sounding chords.

These two options will give chord options that have an interesting sound. You will notice that the 1-3-4 doesn't sound good on C and D as the first note. That's because the 4 conflicts so you use the 4# (which is the #11 that Riddler was using).

If you skip the melody, you could play the chords on the RH and the bass note on the LH. The point is that with experimentation, you will come up with stuff you never thought of.

This is just a couple of possible "shapes". It could be in reverse for example, like 1-2-4. and 1-2-4#, although this fits better in the RH. You don't even have to think about what the chords are, you just listen.

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
http://www.box.net/shared/hyl88cv4rh

Ok here's mine I used 1-6-2-5 chords.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Sounded great Serge! I thought at the end that you were going to repeat it at a half step up smile

My Jazz Blog

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm sort of with Ten Left Thumbs, in that the more you say the less I understand. No problem though - I got the important part, and that's to play around with it.

Cathy, when I first started learning to play, I copied some of my lesson pieces onto blank staff paper to see if it would help me to remember the notes on the staff. For the last month or so, I've been trying to pick out simple melodies by ear and write them down. I hadn't done Mary yet, because I already knew that melody. It seems that I remembered it from playing something called "Melody Bells" (a set of different colored bells made for children) when I was a kid. So this is just taking what I was already doing and kicking it up a few notches.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
FUN REHARM

Nothing beats just listening. So this is what I'm talking about. I made a pattern, and the intervals are 1-5-7 and 1#-5-7. It's the same pattern as I was talking about previously but I inverted it so it works better as a LH voicing and it can be played in a lower register without getting muddy.

So put this pattern in your LH fingers in the scale of C as follows:
Pattern 1: F C E
Pattern 2: F# C E

Then playing the same melody of "Mary Had a Little Lamb", I just played these two patterns up and down a scale step at a time (alternating between the two patterns). In white keys, the pattern is very simple to move up the scale since the shape is exactly the same the whole way. I would be a little trickier in another key.

It sounds like this:

http://www.box.net/shared/gv0a46axyo

Now isn't that FUN OR WHAT?!!! grin

What chords where those? Who cares smile

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
jazzwee - yes, that was fun smile

mom3gram - that's still cool -

serge - I loved it!

tlt - what a mournful sound! Did Mary lose her lamb? That was neat

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
BTW - advanced side comment -- of course although I'm doing a "Gyro-like" exercise here (digging in as he says), that fact is, I know exactly what chords I was playing, which means I can repeat this in any key.

And depending on the register it is played, the pattern could represent multiple chords and be ambiguous in nature.

As you go lower down the registers, the bottom note of the chord begins to sound out as a clear root. This has to do with something in music theory called "overtones" and it is also why we tend to have a muddy sound in the lower registers so we spread the notes out more.

The alternating movement from a normal scale degree to an ALT chord provides chromatic voice leading which can be found in a lot of standards actually.

It's interesting stuff and I didn't plan this out. I just thought of it intellectually and then went to play it.

My Jazz Blog

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Interesting stuff!

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Hey cool thread guys, I like to hear everyone's take and personal style! I will try and post one up soon, but I don't have a recording device at the moment. Actually, how do you all record your songs?

I borrowed my friend's MiniDisk, and then convert to mp3 on the computer. Do you have a mic hooked up to your comp and record direct?

If you want inspiration, here's Gabriela Montero doing her version of Happy Birthday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6Aa92cZToI

Not too bad if I say so myself!!

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by jazzwee
That was very pretty TLT! Now that was a great exercise in Dynamics wasn't it smile

Sorry! That was ****** inaudible! help

This was the kind of thing I meant:

http://www.box.net/shared/40c5vk2z5a

As for the shape-thingy-forget-about-chords-approach, I gave this a go. This was 1, 3, 4 ascending then descending:

http://www.box.net/shared/46mhvrkk0v

Bit of a strange idea. It can throw up some interesting harmonies, but I'm not sure about using it as a strategy for playing. I did a few different things, occasional good sounds, but a few real clonkers.

Perhaps we can discuss this some more?

K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Cool. What's the next exercise, teacher? wink

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
You think it was a strange idea? Not to me. You sounded pretty jazzy there with what you did using the 1-3-4. But use my inversion as it can allow you go to lower and use more altered sounds (more jazzy).

Now 1-3-4 (or my inversion 1-5-7) doesn't always work, so that's why you have to use your ear as to when to use 1-3-4# (#1-5-7). I was just going chromatic with mine but if I moved it around the options and sounds are endless, and this is just one pattern.

With just this one "shape", we could come up with interesting reharmonizations of Christmas songs in the key of C. I may have to re-title this thread smile

The trick here is to not stay in one of these chords for long (no more than 2 beats) so the dissonance doesn't linger. If you listen to these (especially mine) you will almost hear this alternating tension and release.

My Jazz Blog

This is a fun thread. Can I join ? I am terrible at chords stuff. But here is my contribution. I think I used C and Dm.

http://www.box.net/shared/ppvcoc2u1x#

(and no it is not my playing grin, it is a generated midi. I am at work and can not try it on the keyboard)

TB

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
True Beginner, do you write the music for the 'on hold' part of my bank's telephone care-line? wink

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
TrueBeginner, that gave me quite a smile smile That was pretty peppy! The peppiest version so far smile

Well if you're terrible at chord stuff, this is the time to learn. Everyone can try out each other's approaches. Maybe you can show your chords here.

My Jazz Blog

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
True Beginner - that made me laugh - I loved it.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Yes, True Beginner, that was great! smile

(Just wanted to make that clear, in case my comment above was a bit cheeky!)

This one was 1/5/7 alternate #1/5/7:

http://www.box.net/shared/9vxt3iddha

Yes, this is fun! smile

I wasn't sure, if I was supposed to sharpen a note, and the note was E, if I should really play and E# (aka F), but then I decided to just do whatever.

jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
TLT, I had to smile on that one. That was truly experimental smile Basically what you got was a pallette of chords and then you can come up with any combination you want. Sometimes it will work out and sometimes not.

Some will come out weird no doubt. But some combinations will just work. Chromatic movement seems to work well so maybe do alternating patterns for a couple of chords.

I had a lot of fun with these patterns today. I was able to create some improvised music just moving around with this. It sounded great although I probably could not play it the same way each time. But it's not "Mary" so I didn't bother recording. Really fun though!

What these patterns do is mix between chords of the scale (1/5/7) with chords outside of the scale (#1/5/7) so you have to kind of alternate so the tension/dissonance gets a little bit of release by returning to the base key (C).

My favorite ones are the ones starting at F# (#11 voicing or suggests D7) and G# (b13 or suggests G7(b9) ). The Eb one is just a Cm. The Bb one is just a C7. The weirdest one is C# (suggests CMaj7(b9) or maybe a Db7(b5). I think that is the most dissonant so I avoided that except in passing.

As you can see, most of these chords aren't anything 'weird'. They're just out of the current key.

And yes, E# is just played with an F. The intervals change so it's really based on the notes of the scale.

BTW - I'm learning here too.

My Jazz Blog

Thought I'd have a go!
I deviated a bit from the melody but couldn't help it! I used
1,4,7,3,6,2,5,1 and threw in a diminished too.....

http://www.box.net/shared/fvhnebcpy0

Last edited by simon288; 10/14/09 04:31 AM.

Bill Evans spoke of the "universal mind" that exists in all people, if they can learn to think in the language that the universal mind uses -- a musical language that remains alive and well today, still scintillating, still expanding, still showing those who can hear it the depths of ecstasy and pain and life and love.
jazzwee Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
7000 Post Club Member
Simon that was great! A Ballad version smile Who would have thought of "Mary" as a ballad?

Good stuff being posted here. thumb

Later on I'll post a little discussion on scale degrees since everyone here seems to be familiar with IV-vii-iii-vi-ii-V-I (Circle of Fifths). We'll give it a little extra spin and maybe others can learn a bit about chords and music theory.

My Jazz Blog

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission