2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 6 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I think the OP has to think a bit more into the future. His kid is 9yo, an age where progress, if motivated, can be quite fast. Purchasing a cheap unweighted keyboard now can possibly mean another purchase in as little as 6 months. So if the OP is fine with this (and the depreciation hit they'll take), then getting something "cheap" to be "safe" just in case the kids doesn't continue is ok. However, if this is not ok, for whatever reason, then the OP will likely want to stick with a decent keyboard with weighted keys that fits their budget (a few have already been mentioned) that will last a bit longer.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
As the other posters said, get an 88 key weighted and graded keyboard, like the Casio XPs or the Yamaha YPGs. Since it's for a child, you might get more enthusiasm for the piano if you get a keyboard with some fun voices to add, and yes, a recorder so your chidl can hear himself. Also, even the lower end models often have a split keyboard, so it becomes possible to have the teacher and student play at the same time, although no doubt your child will be taking lessons on an acoustic.

If you check the online sellers like Kraft, Musicians Buy, Mucisians Friend & B&HPhoto, go to some local stores and have your child try out keyboards, and then look for the best deal, you'll have a keyboard that will be good for several years with the above characteristics.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Bhav
Gyros advice is funny, according to him you can learn to play Piano on a computer keyboard!

Dont listen to his advice on Pianos, I have practiced on a keyboard most of my life and failed my Piano auditions at university. It took me a long time to adjust to the Piano, it is much more difficult than keyboards are.

The YGP 635 / DGX 630 is a nice and suitable instrument for your needs as well as the earlier casio recommendations.

I'm expecting my YPG 635 today. I'm so excited to FINALLY be able to practice after a MONTH without a real keyboard, only having a 66 key CASIO with many educational features, including a recorder and finding my keys running off the lower end with no notes to play, and I mean OFTEN.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by wrxplayer
I understand that the YPD140 is likely better. It's also $500 more. To rephrase the question, if one has a $600 budget, is a very gently used YPD-S30 a good option.

I'm no expert, but buying a used digital piano would worry me. I think you'd be better of with the Casio PX 320 which has a really nice sound, although a slightly stiff keyboard, weighs only 24 lbs, and has loads of extra features, including a recorder, fun voices.

I didn't buy it because I like a light action but perhaps a for an enthusiastic 9 year old you'd want a bit more tension in the keys to burn up some energy.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Gyro
Vincent I don't hang around French forums because
my broken French would be offensive. Do us the same
courtesy.

Bhav if you're a quitter and don't want to work, you'll
fail every audition even if you have a concert grand to practice
on.

Is Vincent French? Where are these French forums? I'm such a Francophile!

And, BTW Gyro, nothing is sexier than a broken French accent. Haven't you noticed that in your travels to Paris?

A
A
Ahhhh, je vais visiter la France un jour! grin

Yamaha CP-300, P-85, NP-30
M
M
I was just at the Guitar Center this morning checking pianos for home. I had my eye on the Casio PX130, which seemed to be the minimum to do the job of being just a piano (the similar 330 has more voices and other treats), and a couple of Yamahas. I liked the Casio keys better--the Yamaha's were too sharp on the edges. When I was playing, I didn't notice the difference in actions as much as when I was looking at that, individually. The Yamaha was better, lighter and crisper, but I didn't mind the Casio. GC had the 130 on sale for $450 to the end of October. I really liked the Casio "classical piano" voice, and that's probably what I'm going to get. The Casio is the cheapest piano that will take a 3-pedal set, too, which I thought would eventually be important.

Last edited by Michael Darnton; 10/10/09 04:49 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission