2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 29 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 28 29
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Still Buzzing

[Linked Image]
S
S
Hugh, you often ask if your suggested fingerings work for us. Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but so far all your suggestions work great for me. I may switch a finger here and there, but the idea of grouping notes together and "borrowing notes from the LH into the RH" all work as expected. It's coming along real nice for me in measures 29 and 30.

Just some feedback from an "advanced beginner".

B
B
Hugh, I found this thread a few weeks ago after "dragging out" my Claire sheet music for another "go" at it. You lessons have made this attempt so much more fun and the progress is tremendous for me. I too like to map out notes and fingerings all over my score.

The calm way you explain things and positive comments and the way you "plan ahead" has caused me to go back and re work a few stumbling blocks on other pieces that I love to play.

I have been following right along but got a little anxious and began on measure 31 and 32 a few days before you posted.

Here's my reason for writing.....

On my music score, and yours, the fourth note, g has a flat sign next to it. There is already a flat sign in the key signature so it is "obvious" to me that e, g,a,b and d are flat. Because they put the flat sign there I was thinking that it is a g flat, and the flat sign makes it an f. The F seems to sound better to me than the G flat, so I have been playing it that way. I assume I am wrong as your video now shows you playing it as a g flat. Why does the music have that flat sign next to the g? There seems to be no logical reason and on my score the g in the right hand has a flat notation next to it also.

Again, words cannot express my appreciation for all the time you are taking and the knowledge you are sharing with us.

Bob
T
T
I started taking lessons 3 months ago,, so i am gonna stick with the plan given to me. Maybe a year down the road,, i will take a closer look at this.

But this is spectacular, amazing. Hugh, most definate kind soul.

B
B
As I went to bed I guess I figured out my own answer. In the previous two measures the g had a natural and I guess it's just a reminder to flat it again. For some reason I was reading more into it.

LOL it does sound good as an f though.

Bob

Bob
OP Offline
Lesson #46, Measure 31, pt 2

This lesson actually covers both measures 31 and 32, since they're essentially identical. We now add the right hand notes, taking note of how the top melody line needs to hold past the pedal break. I give a few suggested fingerings, and encourage you to use whatever feels more comfortable, as everyone's hand is different in size and shape. I also give a suggestion for practicing to connect both measures 31 and 32 more smoothly.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by senam
Hugh, you often ask if your suggested fingerings work for us. Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but so far all your suggestions work great for me. I may switch a finger here and there, but the idea of grouping notes together and "borrowing notes from the LH into the RH" all work as expected. It's coming along real nice for me in measures 29 and 30.

Just some feedback from an "advanced beginner".

I'm so glad you find these fingerings helpful! Thanks so much for the feedback - it's always nice to hear when things "work"! wink

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Bob Griffin
As I went to bed I guess I figured out my own answer. In the previous two measures the g had a natural and I guess it's just a reminder to flat it again. For some reason I was reading more into it.

LOL it does sound good as an f though.

Bob

Good deductive work, Bob! Yes, we call those "courtesy accidentals" as reminders. Glad to hear you're enjoying the lessons!

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tawny
I started taking lessons 3 months ago,, so i am gonna stick with the plan given to me. Maybe a year down the road,, i will take a closer look at this.

But this is spectacular, amazing. Hugh, most definate kind soul.

Thanks for the kind words, Tawny! Good luck with your current lessons!

OP Offline
Lesson #47, Measure 33 pt. 1

After starting from the previous measure to connect into measure 33, we tackle the first portion of the measure. The left hand has a challenging run - there are several fingering options, but I try to find a comfortable one that's broken into an octave pattern, a jump, and a finger-over-thumb motion. Once again, specific fingers can be used as measuring tools, particularly when the hand is jumping. We finish by working on a repeated note technique and adding some pedaling to this portion of the measure.

OP Offline
Lesson # 48, Measure 33, pt. 2

Now we work on learning the rest of measure 33. The notes with stems going up in the right hand represent the melody notes, which should be held longer than the lower notes if possible. We then talk about some pedaling options for the measure, from simple, to more complex if you prefer a "cleaner" sound.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Bum-ble bee

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Lesson #49, Measure 34

We start off by connecting the second half of measure 33 into measure 34. As we normally do, we carefully map out the notes in both hands and add in suggested fingerings. Watch out for the repeated notes shared by the thumbs in both hands - the left hand will need to get out of the way quickly. I also show how to keep a melody note connected even when it's repeated as an accompaniment note.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hugh,
Did we loose everyone else? No one else is posting. If it's just me here, I'm still trying to catch up due to work. My recommendation, if it's just the two os us, put your feet up, and enjoy the next week or so with the family while I catch up to where you are now. If there are no new entries, I'll know you're taking my recommendation. I'll keep the thread on the first page - no problem.
Woody

[Linked Image]

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Dec 29 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Woody - you're not the only one - I was out of town for 10 days. I'm trying to catch up so haven't posted. So don't feel alone - I kinda thought the same as you, but I'm here and working on it! laugh
CMohr

I almost forgot blush Wow! Hugh, how VERY generous of you to do this first webinar for free! I'm forever in your debt! Thank you yet again.

Last edited by CMohr; 10/11/09 08:13 PM. Reason: ps

Think less - play more

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Please don't slow down. eek
JK

Alfred Knight 30113
Schimmel K213 361426
[Linked Image]
I'm wayyyyyyy behind but I'm still here.

S
S
And I'm here as well. Although I'm ready for the next lesson, I probably wouldn't be able to keep up with one lesson per day. About 5 per week is perfect for me. Even though not many post here, according to the YouTube view counts, even the recent lessons have been watched well over 100 times.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Liber_Ouchy

LOL! Same here smile Don't think that because no-one is posting that no-one is watching! Once I've learned a chunk I'll try and post a recording but I'm only up to bar 6 at the moment frown

Last edited by BazC; 10/12/09 11:29 AM.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Liber_Ouchy

Ditto

Page 19 of 29 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission