2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 9 invisible), 1,790 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you do a google search for Mendelssohn art or Mendelssohn paintings or Mendelssohn drawings you can find several more.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I love his Op19 no2, it has a very sadness to it, and the ending with the last hearbeats, almost if someone died, or he was thinking of death. The piece has great meaning to me. His venetian boat songs are also amazing if played well, and lets not forget his amazing Albumblatt (which is much more beautifull if not played at full speed, imo). He was truly one of the greatest!

Currently working on: Perfecting the Op 2/1, studying the 27/2 last movement. Chopin Nocturne 32/2 and Posth. C#m, 'Raindrop' prelude and Etude 10/9
Repetoire: Beethoven op 2/1, 10/1(1st, 2nd), 13, 14/1, 27/1(1st, 2nd), 27/2, 28(1st, 2nd), 31/2(1st, 3rd), 49/1, 49/2, 78(1st), 79, 90, 101(1st)
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Harold Schoenberg's "The Great Pianists" has some good information on Mendelssohn as a virtuoso pianist. The entire book is a fun read.

H
OP Offline
H
@Sam Smith: I'm working on op. 19 no. 4 as well. It's a wonderful piece. I'm also working on no. 2 and still keeping no. 6 in reasonable shape. I'll probably just do something else for the recital though. I'm not completely happy with the sixteenth note passages.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
@Sam Smith: I'm working on op. 19 no. 4 as well. It's a wonderful piece. I'm also working on no. 2 and still keeping no. 6 in reasonable shape. I'll probably just do something else for the recital though. I'm not completely happy with the sixteenth note passages.

Yes, the 16th note introduction is tough. I thought I was playing it OK until I listened to a recording. My right hand thumb is too heavy and loud - all the 16th notes are not of equal importance. The thumb notes should be subdued and the upper notes brought out more. Easy to say - hard to do.

And, of course, the intro is repeated at the end, so there are two opportunities to screw it up.

Have you posted a recording of 19/6? I'd love to hear it. Here's a question - are all of his Venetian boat songs in 3 (or 6) and a minor key?

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
thanks for the tip on the drawings, Sam - I'll look for them.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
H
OP Offline
H
EDIT: thought I had pushed quote from Sam Smith.

All the Venetians are in 6/8 and all are minor as well.

A few misses in it, but reasonable: Mendelssohn op. 19, no. 6

For op. 19, no. 4, I'm okay with the thumbs in the 16th note passages, it's the transition in bar three just prior to the dim. that is usually my downfall. I've been drilling that over and over a lot. For op. 19, no. 2 it's down to a few two bar parts really. I'd probably be done both if I spent more time practicing than playing.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 10/10/09 05:26 AM.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
EDIT: thought I had pushed quote from Sam Smith.

All the Venetians are in 6/8 and all are minor as well.

A few misses in it, but reasonable: Mendelssohn op. 19, no. 6

For op. 19, no. 4, I'm okay with the thumbs in the 16th note passages, it's the transition in bar three just prior to the dim. that is usually my downfall. I've been drilling that over and over a lot. For op. 19, no. 2 it's down to a few two bar parts really. I'd probably be done both if I spent more time practicing than playing.

Very nice job on 19/6. I remember listening to it before now. You do a good job bringing out the melody, something I always have a problem with.

I know what you mean about playing as opposed to practicing. I get caught up in the music and don't want to stop and work on a troublesome section.

My problem with 19/4 is, for instance, measure 2. The repeated "a" by the right hand thumb is too prominent.

What edition are you using? I just bought the Schirmer (editor: Sternberg) and I have some problems with the way the music is crowded on the page. Also the odd titles that have been given to everything (19/4 is "Confidence"), but that has nothing to do with the ease of reading the music. The fingerings are reasonable, but it seems a little heavy on the pedal.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
H
OP Offline
H
Alfred Masterworks (Maurice Hinson) edition. I am very comfortable with the note density and visual contrast in Alfred's series. It has a spiral binding and some nice notes for teachers on the order of relative difficulties (your mileage may vary) and some reasonable words about each piece. Your pedal comment is interesting since it says here that "Pedal usage must be very subtle."

I used to have heavy thumbs (still do some times) and I am not sure what made it go away other than practice.

I only look at pedaling for where they say not to in general and then after I'm at the 90% happy phase I will listen to some recordings and start varying the tempo and playing things oddly to see what I like. I have gotten better over time at not pedaling as much, but I am still a bit of a lead-foot driver. smile

Titles. I mentioned before that Mendelssohn only named a few of the Songs Without Words, but now almost all of them have titles. I wish they weren't titled. There is too much baggage associated with words. Regrets, there is a loaded word for a title.

I really want to learn op. 53 no. 5 some day, but I've got such a gigantic list of pieces to learn and so little time.

D
D
Your pedal comment is interesting since it says here that "Pedal usage must be very subtle."

I agree with Sam.

From a free podcast for my grade 5 (RIAM). Here they do an overview of the piece. The guy explaining is from the examining board.
http://www.box.net/shared/7ae980ra0q

I have this piece for grade 5. I'm starting it soon. Unfortunately using it for my exam expires by the time I'll take my first exam but I'm learning it anyway.

I'll pm his rendition of the piece.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Devane
Your pedal comment is interesting since it says here that "Pedal usage must be very subtle."

I agree with Sam.

From a free podcast for my grade 5 (RIAM). Here they do an overview of the piece. The guy explaining is from the examining board.
http://www.box.net/shared/7ae980ra0q

I have this piece for grade 5. I'm starting it soon. Unfortunately using it for my exam expires by the time I'll take my first exam but I'm learning it anyway.

I'll pm his rendition of the piece.

Thanks for posting that Devane - very interesting. I've finally gotten 19/4 to the point where it is mostly memorized and I am trying to polish it - making final decisions on how much pedal to use, the phrasing, the dynamic changes, and so forth.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
D
D
Originally Posted by Sam Smith

Thanks for posting that Devane - very interesting. I've finally gotten 19/4 to the point where it is mostly memorized and I am trying to polish it - making final decisions on how much pedal to use, the phrasing, the dynamic changes, and so forth.

Sam

No problem. Its a pity they only spend a few minutes on each piece but still you get a few tips.

H
OP Offline
H
Thanks for the links Devane. What is everyone looking at for a tempo? My edition says quarter note for 72. Good points on bringing out the melody over the chords. I still need some work on that.

Here's my interpretation. A couple of kludgey bits, but reasonable. I'd play it in front of friends. Tempo is around 70 for the quarter.

Mendelssohn, op. 19, no. 4

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
great idea for a thread. I'd like to join in. I have been working on op85 no.2 for a few days and I would like to eventually have this piece memorised and up to performance. I spend too much time reading these days and not enough on completing. So I would like to join you guys in committing to this piece so that I don't abandon it after a few short efforts.

But since this is Mendelssohn appreciation, I'll say that I have made exciting discoveries to this piece already, the harmony is beautiful - definitely worth the investigation. I think I'm going to enjoy this journey. The piece is also called The Adieu.

canonie

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
H
OP Offline
H
I'd like to try and join you Canonie, but I think it might be a bit above my level with the tempo. I'll give it a go the next week and see if it fits my brain.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the reply, Shoes
You are already helping my motivation, I will do a session right now and post how far I get. So far i've read through about 3 times and sorted fingering, I have a loose and unstable memory of 1st 10 bars and physical familiarity with the next 12.

I see a teacher about 4 times a year to keep me developing, and to make sure I continue to be useful to the beginners I teach ! This teacher showed me this piece and I fell for it for sure. Not making any promises about speed tho, adult restarter excuses apply here.
right - I'm off to work on it
just after this nice cup of tea...

[Linked Image]
Composers manufacture a product that is universally deemed superfluous—at least until their music enters public consciousness, at which point people begin to say that they could not live without it.
Alex Ross.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the links Devane. What is everyone looking at for a tempo? My edition says quarter note for 72. Good points on bringing out the melody over the chords. I still need some work on that.

Here's my interpretation. A couple of kludgey bits, but reasonable. I'd play it in front of friends. Tempo is around 70 for the quarter.

Mendelssohn, op. 19, no. 4

That's great Shoes. Much faster than I can play it. The Schirmer edition suggests quarter note = 84. In my opinion that is too fast.

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Here's my version of 19/4:

Mendelssohn 19/4

One hesitation and one bobble near the end. And my bench creaks.

I can do my own critical critique:
- too slow.
- thumbs are too loud.
- pedal is awkward in spots.

But I am pleased with the dynamics - I've learned to exaggerate them so they come through in a recording.

There's a month until the next ABF recital? Maybe I can speed it up some before then.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Canonie
great idea for a thread. I'd like to join in. I have been working on op85 no.2 for a few days and I would like to eventually have this piece memorised and up to performance. I spend too much time reading these days and not enough on completing. So I would like to join you guys in committing to this piece so that I don't abandon it after a few short efforts.

But since this is Mendelssohn appreciation, I'll say that I have made exciting discoveries to this piece already, the harmony is beautiful - definitely worth the investigation. I think I'm going to enjoy this journey. The piece is also called The Adieu.

canonie

I love 85/2 also. "agitato". But it's too fast for me right now. I'm also working on 102/6, another one with great harmonies. I think it is probably easier that 19/4.

I have a long list of he Songs Without Words that I would like to do some day.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
H
OP Offline
H
I can't wait to get home and listen to it Sam. I would agree that 84 is too fast. I think it would be less lyrical at 84. I've got a recording at about 72 and it's quite nice. I find too slow really does a disservice to the intro and ending sixteenth note passages. They rarely sound light like they should be (in my mind) below about the mid-sixties.

I'm hoping for op. 19, no. 2 for the recital, but I might fall back on a little Schumann from op. 15 to bail me out. I don't have as much time as I used to for bringing things up to a presentable stage for me for the recital.

Next on my list for Songs Without Words are:
op. 19, no.2, no. 1
op. 53 no. 5
and maybe op. 85, no. 2 as suggested by Canonie

Has anyone tried Consolation? It's supposed to be one of the easiest, but I found the voicing just unnatural to me. I can't sing it to save my life and my fingers can't find the notes at all, which is weird. Do our brains work in key signatures?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission