2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
nstaff Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I don't know if you have any advice but...I am a new piano buyer looking to spend roughly $3,500 on an upright. A piano dealer has quoted me $3,000 for either a new Young Chang or a George steck/Hobart Cable/Falcone (last 3 made by same company I think?). He said I could also go with a used Ymaha but I think that will sound too bright for my girlfriend who I am buying the piano for. I know I haven't supplied much useful ino like model of piano, etc. But are those brands all garbage? I mean I know they are all bottom line, but are they acceptable? Would it be better to get a better used piano? If so are there any you could reccomend that are rich, deep sounding and not too bright (and good for classical, melodic rock)?

Thanks for your time, and hope this question isn't so ignorant as to be annoying.

Last edited by nstaff; 10/05/09 06:17 PM.
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
You would need to give the exact model numbers so someone could comment on them. A surprise piano without them trying it first is a bad idea which has come up many times.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Read the free online edition of Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer by clicking on its link on the top right of this page.

No one should get suckered if they know the facts.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
You are looking for a beginner piano, and all that you mentioned will fit the bill. Any piano can be too bright, so listen to it before buying. Remember it will get brighter over time. Sometimes Yamaha's can be voiced down for mellow tone. Look out for broken butt spring cords on used Yammies from the 90's.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The Cable-Falcone-Steck pianos are the same except for furniture styles. They are okay for beginners, but the price quoted is much too high. These are closeout pianos being sold by many large dealers at prices under 2k for the largest (48"). If the piano shown you is a shorter console, the price should be closer to $1500. You can find links for these pianos on eBay or by googling the brand names.

Young Chang has three different grades of pianos and different models within each grade. Without the exact model, it's impossible to give any guidance.

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
P
P
(also posted in your DP thread)

Surprising your GF with a special gift when you know exactly what she wants, is great, but you don't know exactly what she wants. You could easily end up spending $3,000 + on a nice digital or used acoustic that is less than her preference.

While intending to demonstrate the depth of your love, the cost of the momentary "surprise" can easily lead to negative relationship stress. Prove to her that you respect her ability to choose what's best, above your own.

Either tell her before the holidays so she has a piano to play by the time the holidays come around, or (I would do the following) give her a piano jewelry box ( like this one) with a gift card inside that commits $3,000 towards a piano purchase.

Her joy of searching and playing many different piano's far outweighs any momentary surprise.

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
L
L
Originally Posted by nstaff
I think that will sound too bright for my girlfriend who I am buying the piano for.

I wholeheartedly agree with the other responses: you should not choose a piano for another person. Tone and touch is a very personal choice, and the variety of what's out there is huge.

A wonderful part of your gift could be giving your time and patience to spend a few weekends visiting piano stores and trying out a whole bunch of them to find the right fit.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Ditto to all the above. Especially if your girlfriend is a pianist, she will likely have opinions about the sound and action she prefers. I'm guessing she will be just as delighted by your accompanying her on piano shopping expeditions as she would be with the purchase itself. heart

agree..

a gift certificate (cash or check) wrapped in piano paper or something like that

Last edited by apple*; 10/06/09 10:52 AM.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Ditto from another woman. Stick the note,gift certificate, cash, check that is wrapped in piano paper in a musical bag. Have a wonderful piano recording playing in the background. Then present to her and follow through with going with her to the different stores to enjoy and play the piano of her choice. What a wonderful gift. You are on the right track.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Applause, nstaff--- what a guy. You belong on this thread in the Pianist Corner, or at least, you might like to see it:
http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1279486/1.html

I think one of those piano music boxes, if you can find one. That would be a nice, and very memorable, way to present your gift. She lifts the lid to hear it play, and there your gift cert. is. She might also like the book, Piano Girl by our own Robin Goldsby, who posts on the Non-Classical forum here. She'll laugh, she'll cry, and your card would make a swell bookmark. I know I'm always looking for gift certificates to mark my place when I'm reading.

The other guys are right, make her pick out her own piano.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 10/06/09 02:47 PM.

Clef

As said by others, a musical instrument is a personnel thing. However, I'm not much with giving checks to the one I love either. I am new to the piano as well as this forum (first post) and purchased a George Steck grand. I found in my shopping that though many piano's are from the same company, brand, model, they still have their own feel and sound. They will also sound different in another room. Perhaps you may want to take her to a shop (as something to do) that has several piano's (such as those you mentioned) and let her play them. Pay attention for the one that she likes and buy it later if you want to surprise her, or on the spot doesn't hurt either. Hey, I've been married for 27 years, so these things work. Good Luck.

Estonia L190 #7051
O
O
I think it's a really beautiful idea. As the others have mentioned, if she already plays piano then she probably has a preference, however if she's like I was until a few weeks ago, and has been desperate for a piano since she was a child but doesn't yet play then I think she'll delighted with whatever she gets. She'll get used to the one she's given, I know I would have taken anything, prior to looking around to buy when I didn't know all the options available. The suggestion someone made about taking her shopping to just look at pianos and take note of what she likes is a great idea and surprise her later. All I know is, if I had a boyfriend a few years back that surprised me with a piano, it would have been the greatest most thoughtful gift I could have imagined and would have loved it no matter what one it was. I think the main thing is what is her current experience with pianos, if none, then less risky in surprising her with one.

Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Book #1
Week 7
Kawai K-3
P
P
I suspect his GF has some experience since his thread in the DP section stated: "I am buying my girlfriend a DP for Christmas. Her favorite acoustic is a Bösendorfer (much preferred over a Steinway)."

Kurzweil K2600xs - yeah, it's purple :p , Alesis M1 Active MkII Monitors, [b]Roland RD-300s Restoration Project[/b] completed.
P
P
Giving cash, checks or gift certificates can seem cold, as if it is a scapegoat for the often-arduous effort involved in finding just the right gift. That said, how it's perceived is all in the presentation. Here's another thought on making it special:

Find out what her favorite piano pieces or composers are. If not directly from her, maybe her parents or siblings know. Or find some of her old piano books, paying special attention to those that are tattered, falling apart, written on with beat-up corners from being bent one too many times. Buy a new replacement book, books or individual pieces. Now do a google map search for all the acoustic and digital piano stores near you. Print the map out along with the names, addresses and phone numbers. Put the print-outs in an envelope with a note or card from you pledging the $3000 towards the purchase of a piano. I would steer clear of gift certificates as that locks you into one store. Cash and checks have a tendency to get deposited and used to pay bills. Wrap the music and envelope in a box such that the first thing she sees are the books and the last thing is the envelope.

P
P
Yeah I know . . . I need to stop posting in this thread (sorry), but I have one question that really needs to be asked considering your talking about a significant expense (for most people anyway).

Are you sure you shouldn't be scaling down the Christmas present and saving this money for use towards an engagement ring?

If you're in any way thinking that you or she is not ready to get married, you may want to rethink the $3,000 piano idea.

I think it may be difficult to sneak a piano in the house and put it under the christmas tree. If her favorite is a Bösendorfer (much preferred over a Steinway) as mentioned earlier, better add at least one zero on the 3000.00

Estonia L190 #7051

Well, if the OP isn't sure whether he wants to get a digital or acoustic, then the "coupon" hidden in a piano trinket idea is sounding even better. He may not have a strong preference between the two, but odds are the girlfriend would.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Giving cash, checks or gift certificates can seem cold..."

Each to his own. I find it quite otherwise--- it's always just what I wanted, always the right size, always the right color, goes with everything, and no embarrassing hassles when you try to exchange it.

And I never tell the giver, "Oh--- you shouldn't have!"

You may not have heard the old saying: "Never say anything bad about money--- it might hear you."

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 10/07/09 06:13 PM.

Clef

N
nstaff Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Sorry it took me so long to respond....definitely NOT digital (she would kill me). I understand about it being a bad idea to buy a piano for someone...what to do, what to do wink

Thanks to all for your input

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission