2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 121 of 136 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 135 136
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Btw, has anyone tried the Yamaha digital Avantgrand N3 that was advertised in Sat's Life a few weeks ago? Seems like a really cool toy, but the price (SGD20+K if I remember correctly) is pretty high. I thought my Yamaha DGT2A GranTouch was super-ex, but for a digital, the N3 blows everything away price-wise.

Am contemplating the new Roland C-30 digital harpsichord... very itchy...

Last edited by Roxane; 10/07/09 09:54 AM.
F
F
Looks really quite nice, but haven't had the chance to try. I would suppose it's the top end if you need a silent option for practice at night (which I certainly do!)

I think there was a sale at the launch such that it was exactly SGD20k. RIght now it's rather expensive.

In progress

Beethoven: Op 109, Op 110
R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
fj_s, the N3 is also quite heavy as well as big (equivalent to 4' baby grand). As I understand it, the technology is the same in N3 and N2, so unless aesthetics is an issue, maybe the N2 upright would make more sense in terms of size and economy.

I just hope Yamaha has improved the key action in the Avantgard. Although my GranTouch is supposed to share the same wooden keyboard as their CFIII concert grand, playing it hard gives me hand fatigue quite quickly because the key depth/dip (I think that's what it's called) is quite shallow – akin to the jarring feeling one gets when stepping down from a step that turns out to be shallower than one thinks.

Last edited by Roxane; 10/07/09 10:55 AM.
F
F
I hear the N3 has some nifty progressive pedaling technology (whether it is worth an additional $5k is a different story.

I'm thinking of heading down to try to Avantgrand this week if I can find the time; will keep people posted. smile

I would say though after trying out a few Yamahas that they tend to have more shallow (or at least it feels less 'meaty') key touch, which is ok with me as I own a Yamaha, but it would be quite different in your case. smile

In progress

B
B
Originally Posted by Roxane
Bihua, you are bo liow now because that little package is still neatly in your tummy... wait until you pop!

The little package is coming out soon....so excited...haha...ya, by then I think I will not have time to bo liow anymore:P

B
B
oh, I saw that in the Yamaha shop as well...haha...I am very bo liow...but I didn't try...it is called a "Hybrid piano" right? Was wondering why so ex? What is the difference between this one and a digital piano? As in, it is still digital right?

And how is this compared to those silent pianos? I would thought silent pianos have a upper hand?

F
F
Well they promise much more authentic sound reproduction, plus a grand-type action in a smaller space, as well as tricked out pedaling, which means that the technology is superior to the silent pianos. Also, Yamaha claims to reproduce the CFIIIS concert grand in a 4 foot package, which is quite useful for people short of space. smile

In progress

F
F
Dropped by Yamaha to try the Avantgrand. It's really quite nice, and feels like a C1/C2/C3 with additional functionalities.

The touch is light, but very responsive and the sound is a few steps above all of the other Yamaha digitals. I'm not sure if it would feel shallow though, though it felt definitely much lighter than say a Bohemia. smile

Would I buy it? The biggest virtue is its small footprint, multiple functions, while feeling like a C1/C2/C3.

On the other hand, I can't get over the nagging feeling that it's a good fake for a real piano. (The Tactile response system, the touch, tone, sound, etc are all a little too consistent - is that good or bad?)

So far, apparently they have not managed to sell a single one, despite Singapore being a nation of apartment dwellers. Perhaps pianists are all too traditional...

In progress

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Thanks for the test-drive review, fj_s! It sounds really interesting and I hope to go and try it soon for myself.

Not surprised they have not sold any. It's the price, lah! If it were around the $12K mark, they might persuade those who buy the silent U1 to step up for the Avantgrand, but $20K for the N3 is hard to justify for a digital.

F
F
Yeah, $20k is a bit steep. $15k on the other hand... (looks wistfully)

They now have a silent U3, but I would say that the N3 feels and sounds better than both the silent U1 and U3, though it would be a far far cry from your current grand piano. smile

In progress

E
E
Hi I am new to this forum. I have advanced piano grades in the past but have not played for a long time. I am looking to buy a piano for my own leisure and for my young kids to start lessons in the future. I intend to keep the piano whether or not they continue lessons. However resale value is still a consideration. I had played on an East German Alexander Hermann when I was growing up but the piano is now in a bad condition.

It would be a great help if some of the more experienced members here in Singapore could help me out.

It seems to me for Band 1 (S$5000 or less), the options are brand new Hailun HL125 or used Yamaha U1 or U3 or Kawai K3 or K5.

The next band up would be Band 2(S$8K to S$11K). The safe choices would be brand new Yamaha U1 or U3 and Kawai U1 or U3.

Sauter sounds like an excellent choice for budget of S$30K and up. Say call this Band 3. All these bands are made up by me of course. smile

What are the good options that are above Band 2 but below Band 3? I hear very little discussion of the German brands like Wilh. Steinberger and the English brand Kemble sold by Chiu Piano. These seem to be in the S$20K range.

Comments or advice on the above are welcome. Thank you!

F
F
For that range, I like the Seiler uprights (The eduard seiler impuls 126 is available at around $15-18k), which has a very nice and responsive touch, though it may be a tad light for many. (But still no problems paying pp.) The Seiler 132 Konzert SMR is slightly more expensive, but has a very nice, silvery treble, and a responsive touch.

You could also probably get a "Band 3" used upright for that price, though they are rare.

That being said, at the Band 2-3 range, you are better off getting a grand piano if you have space. After testing a lot of uprights, the high-end uprights are generally better in terms of sound, but not necessarily touch viz baby grands. However, once you get to around the 6 foot range for grands, the grand piano almost strictly dominates.

$20k+ can get you a decent grand that can out-compete with a high end upright. (e.g. Kawai RX1/GE30, Yamaha GC2, Hailun 178, Wilhem Tell, or one of the premium Korean brands or even a relatively new RX2/3 are all for less than $20k, and are very very good.)

In progress

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
I like the Seilers too. You might wish to see if you can get your hands on an IBach. A friend reported seeing a couple at either Beauty World or Bukit Timah Plaza last year for about 18K. They are not well-known and have financial misfortunes recently, but they are ranked right up there with Steingraeber and Steinway, etc. My friend eventually found an old IBach for 5K, and while not the best-preserved specimen internally, I can testify that its action will put even the 6' Yamaha C3 grand to shame. While a Yamaha grand might have a bigger sound, good European uprights can give more pleasure in their overall tone and touch.

F
F
Yes, I have heard good things about the Ibach too, but have not had the fortune to try them. frown

I agree with Roxane that very good uprights can put even a quality grand to shame. It's just that they tend towards $30-45k in price, and for the same price range, the grands tend to have an advantage.

But if you can get one of those very good quality uprights for a discount (Ibach for 18k comes to mind - mental note to self to look for an Ibach to audition), it would be a good deal. Also, if space is a premium, then that's a completely different story entirely.

In progress

K
K
Hi, All PIANIST Here !

I spent 5 hrs reading posts since 2006........my conclusion...........

This forum is just like a SHAOLIN TEMPLE of PIANO PURCHASING smile

I am new in this forum and wish to obtain some advice for piano shopping.
My son age 13, started his piano lesson with a YAMAHA Clavinova CLP230 since
Jan this year, due to his hard work & determination, he has qualified to sit for the grade 6 exam in this coming December.

Thus, i am urgently searching for a piano for his need, my max budget is approx.$4K some friends recommended me KAWAI US50 & YAMAHA U3 but i have no idea which is a better piano.

Hope can get some advice from gurus in this forum.

Last edited by kenviz; 10/17/09 04:29 PM.
G
G
You might get more attention and more responses if you started a new thread as your queston is not related (I don't think) to buying a piano in Singapore.

Baldwin Hamilton 243
V
V
uh, assuming kenviz is from singapore, isn't his question about which piano to get for $4k related to the topic?

anyway here's my opinion:
for $4k, i ended up getting a hailun 125.

But then, somehow, i guess i don't have much good things to say about it. firstly, the spring loaded lock at the top right front corner of the piano tends to vibrate in the note F, in any octave. Unlocking and relocking it usually solves it for a short while and the problem comes back again.

secondly, the keys are very tiring to play. perhaps not so for a seasoned pianist, but its hard for a grade 1 pianist like me, so perhaps your son might not take a liking to it. they are quite heavy and thus needs energy to press down.

etc. etc. lols. but after considering its price tag i think i'm happy with it (: for now.

i'm always asking stupid questions
H
HNB Offline
H
Hi all,

Somebody mentioned above that they were looking at a Kawai K-5 ATX (ie silent version), for just over SGD 12k. Is this the correct price??

I'm in Perth, Western Australia, and am very interested in getting a K-5 ATX. They don't seem to be available at all in Australia. But SGD 12k is so very very cheap... it's only about AUD 9,500 which is a thousand dollars cheaper than a plain K5!

So I guess my question is... is that a usual price for Singapore... and would a piano from Singapore be suitable for the Australian climate?

Thanks heaps,
Dave

B
B
Vigelic,

Did you highlight your problems to Piano Master? Think they will send someone down to help you to resolve them if you call them up.

As for the heavy keys, you can opt for lighter actions actually. I tried their lighter ones, not as heavy, which may suit you better, you might want to ask for a swop? smile

R
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Hi Bihua *waves*, have you "popped" yet? grin

Page 121 of 136 1 2 119 120 121 122 123 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission