2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (Cheeeeee, Carey, Dalem01, danno858, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 8 invisible), 2,059 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1278509 10/01/09 09:51 AM
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Does anyone have the Zoom Q3 yet? Any reviews? I'm still really interested, not just for recording the piano, but also just for use as a general video camera, for weddings, football matches....

Does anyone recommend it or advise against it?

Thanks,
Stevj016.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

[Monica gnashes teeth wildly in frustration] I've had one on pre-order since summer, Stevj016, and every couple of weeks I get another call from Danielle, my personal Sweetwater representative with whom I am now on a first-name basis, telling me that the shipping date has been pushed back yet again. bah The latest I've heard is that I should receive mine "by mid-October," which is consistent with amazon.com showing an Oct. 9 release data for the Q3.

Danielle also told me that Zoom has agreed to air-freight their deliveries in order to get them to customers as soon as possible, so maybe it really will happen. Cross your fingers.

Just as soon as I get the little sucker in my hands, I'll record something and post it here for all to see. thumb

p.s. Forgot to address the "would I recommend it" question. To the extent that I would recommend ANY product strongly without having actually tried it out in person, yes. wink Everything I've read about the Q3 suggests that it is exactly what I want for my own purposes: recording piano with the excellent sound quality of the Zoom H4, but being extremely easy to use. I would not hesitate to recommend it for that purpose.

As far as your other stated purposes (weddings, football games, and the like), I'm less optimistic the Q3 will prove satisfactory. Because it's such a tiny little thing, the developers had to leave out certain functions like a good optical zoom or image stabilization. The Q3 also does not currently come in a HD option. So I wouldn't want to videotape something as important as a wedding with it. And I think it would be a nightmare to try to videotape the action of a soccer game on one of them.

I *still* haven't gotten my Q3, but Ed Weiss alerted me yesterday to this YouTube clip that somebody posted showing them playing guitar on the Q3:

As I noted in my comment on the video, I was not surprised by the high quality of the audio, but I *was* extremely surprised and pleased at how sharp the video image was.

Now I am truly on pins and needles waiting for mine to show up. crazy

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Oh drat, Monica! I was so sure this message was going to be you saying that yours had finally arrived! Not that I'm even in the market for one myself, but your saga of endlessly delayed gratification has us all on tenterhooks!

(lap steel guitar is so pretty...)

Last edited by tangleweeds; 10/03/09 06:54 PM.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Wow that is really clear for a youtube video. It's nice to see what your videos would look like ahead of buying the unit.

I think the ABF is going to have a fire sale of gently used H2's & H4's just in time for x-mas. I'm not kidding!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've got a brand new Zoom H2 for sale. Anyone? If interested PM me. Bought for $150 on Amazon. Will sell for $97!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
You know, maybe we should start a *Zoom for sale* thread as its a win-win. Q3 buyers want to unload their non video recorders while people who only need the audio (high-ish quality btw) unit can save a good amount.

I doubt there could be much "wear & tear" since they are digital (unless you dropped it in a pool or something).

Anyway just compose a list of whoever wants to sell theirs and let the bidding begin. Then you can do it all over again next year when the newer Q4 or something comes out with truly HD resolution. Not yet though as the mfgs really want you to buy three units each! (H4, Q3, Z4?........)

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by mr_super-hunky
You know, maybe we should start a *Zoom for sale* thread as its a win-win. Q3 buyers want to unload their non video recorders while people who only need the audio (high-ish quality btw) unit can save a good amount.

I'm in the market for a Zoom H4n. PM me if you're looking to sell one. smile

C
C
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Everything I've read about the Q3 suggests that it is exactly what I want for my own purposes: recording piano with the excellent sound quality of the Zoom H4, but being extremely easy to use.

I thought Q3's audio is the same as H2?

You're probably right; to be honest I can't remember. But I've also never heard much difference between the H4 and H2 audio. It'll be good either way. thumb

A
A
Here it says it uses the same capsules as the H4n and the pattern is the same, though it is 120º fixed, not 90º. I suppose recording quality must be between h4 and h4n, it doesn´t have the h2 mics as the first prototype had, also the design is different, the mesh if you compare the videos.
Official Site
Also take a look at the maximum recordable times, very nice to go estimating in advance. With a 32gb sdhc card one is good to go for quite a while.
Here is the "manual"... it is a quick guide and doesn´t provide much information.
Quick Guide
What concerns me is the ac adapter that should go with it for endless usage is going to be sold separately, Zoom AD-14 and can add 20-30usd with shipping included.
So far it is the best solution for highest audio quality WITH video capability. And can be used as a stand alone audio recorder for better positioning for example, and feed a camcorder with mic in if wanted. The other way around is limited, for example a camcorder of whatever quality and price, with mic in, the converters, dynamic range, etc, are not gonna be the same. In the end for high quality HD recordings, it cannot be helped but to use separate units and sync later.

Thanks for the heads-up about the adapter, AryReisin! I wonder if it will accept the same adapter that I already have for the H4. Hmmmm.... a question for Danielle the next time I talk to her.

I think I'll hang onto my H4 for the time being. I may want to experiment with comparing the sound from the H4 placed in the optimum recording position for audio, which isn't going to be the best position in terms of video camera angle. If it turns out to make a difference I may use both simultaneously and then use the audio from the H4 when I compile my annual CDs.

Monica,
Still waiting for my Q3. I had to call the vendor tomorrow.
Doy

[Linked Image]

Amazon is still showing a release date of Oct. 9. Sweetwater is just saying "preorder now." [bites fingernails nervously]

I have family coming from out of town next Wed. With my luck the Q3 will arrive the same day, and I won't be able to play with it. frown (My kids I can banish to the basement. My dad, I don't think so. laugh )

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Amazon is still showing a release date of Oct. 9. Sweetwater is just saying "preorder now." [bites fingernails nervously]

I have family coming from out of town next Wed. With my luck the Q3 will arrive the same day, and I won't be able to play with it. frown (My kids I can banish to the basement. My dad, I don't think so. laugh )

Really? They keep moving the date up then cause I seem to remember a release date of Oct. 7. Hmm.

Actually, I almost want to wait for the reviews to come in before I purchase.

C
C
Any news on Q3 shipping?

I'm eager to see what the Q3 can do. It sure would be nice if this were going to be a full HD video camera with Zoom-quality audio, but the more I listen to YouTube piano videos, it's the bad sound that makes me give up on certain ones. I was just looking for a decent version of Grieg's Notturno, and several of them didn't make it past the first seconds because of scratchy, poor quality audio. So, the Zoom Q3 will at least fill that audio niche.

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
It seems to be good and the price is also good.
I bought the R-09 Edirol last year as a Christmas present to myself... smile It was down to about 350 dollars from 800 (Aussie dollars that is), so I thought it was a good deal. I am very happy with it.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

C
C
Q3 is available from Amazon now.

But I wonder how long the 2 AA batteries will last?

I saw that, C.Y.! And I just got off the phone after an uncomfortable conversation with my Personal Customer Representative Danielle, who told me that the one I ordered from Sweetwater probably wouldn't get to me until the 22nd or so. I weighed feelings of obligation and customer loyalty and the individualized service you get from Sweetwater vs. being able to get the Zoom on Tuesday (with 2-day shipping)... and I simply couldn't delay the gratification. crazy So I canceled my Sweetwater order and have a confirmation from amazon that my Q3 will arrive on Tuesday...

My batteries on the H4 last at least 3-4 hours. I don't know if the video unit will make them run out appreciably faster. I'll probably go ahead and order the AC adaptor for it if the one I already have doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission