2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney
Hmmm, those that claim they can make a certain distinction, criticize others for not meeting their standards, yet cannot or will not articulate the difference when push comes to shove: there is a lot of that kind of empty monkey business going around these days.

Thanks for your "contribution". It was yet again better for your post count than for progressing a meaningful discussion.

All I said was that your "summary" in the first post was not correct. In fact, I have no idea why you think what you wrote in your OP represents any consensus of opinion. I even explained why I wouldn't be able to summarize opinion(no consesnsus) about tone at PW even if I wanted to attempt to.

If a poster starts a thread with what I think is a false assumption, then I think saying so seems like a valid contribution.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 10/04/09 12:04 PM.
M
M
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
"...Seems to me there was one poster who claimed that hammer flex was a component to tone above and beyond the velocity of the strike..."

If I recall, the poster was Kawai Don and the information about the flexure of hammer shanks came from ultra high-speed photography. It wasn't just a blue sky pronouncement. But the speed of the strike is a factor in how, and how much, the shank will flex.

This may be a factor in the tone that a specific piano delivers, but I fail to see how a player could control it independently of volume, except in his mind.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here is an example of controlling the tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3OOwglVldI

V
V
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Originally Posted by VirtuosicOne

It would be a figment of the IMAGINATION that even the most gifted pianist can make an early 20th century Mason and Hamlin sound mimic the "tone" of a late 21st century Yamaha by exercising complete PURPOSE and CONTROL.

I think it is a figmant of your imagination that anyone at any point was saying anything related to this totally random and unrelated point. I will counter it and support my arguement with an equally relevant point. Flying monkeys are dissimalar from toast! laugh

The identifying marker that you're referring to that distinguishes one pianist from the next is their PHRASING, the way music that finite music, though unchanged in notation, is subject to variation and interpretation by manipulating performance parameters, not some supernatural ability to uniquely change the acoustic profile of the instrument from player to player.

Though there is an infinite way to rephrase the same music, the acoustic profile of an instrument can only be changed by altering the instrument itself.

The original poster was writing about a classical pianists obsession with tone. If you are using tone and an instrument's acoustic profile as interchangeable, then you are not addressing what the original poster was writing about.
It seemed like you were saying that one can't change the tone on a piano. You can change the tone on a piano by striking a key twice in exactly the same way, but once with the damper pedal engaged and once with the damper pedal not engaged. You can change the tone on a piano by striking a key twice in exactly the same way, but once with the una corda engaged and once with the una corda not engaged. You can change the tone of a piano by striking the key with more force or with less force. It is not only the dynamic that changes, but also the tone. It will still sound within "the acoustic profile" of the instrument, but "the acoustic profile" includes many many different types of tone.
Now, I am pretty sure that you understand this, but your definition of tone and changing tone is something else. You seem to be saying that the only way that a tone on a piano could be legitamately changed would be if a pianist made one piano sound like another. And then you ignore the change in tone that occurs on a piano that occurs from basic techniques of playing such as engaging the pedal or changing the speed of attack.
You are aware that the definition of tone is not limited to "the acoustic profile of the instrument", right?

According to your definition of tone, each musician has his own unique tone, regardless of whether he's playing a Bosendorfer concert grand, or Linus' toy piano. It's a ridiculous hypothesis.
Each pianist has his own STYLISTIC TOUCH.
Perform this simple experiment by striking two pianists. Both will issue forth with a different tone when struck dependent on to what degree you bent their shafts, and in which direction. cool

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Although I was pretty aware of this before, I am thoroughly convinced that you simply want to troll, clinging to your points and definitions regardless of logic or relevance, and conveniantly ignoring anything that shows you to clearly be wrong. You win.....I wasted my time with you. Hopefully though, anybody intelligent who is reading this and interested in learning about piano tone wont be confused by your trolling.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
V
V
Originally Posted by Keith D Kerman
Hopefully though, anybody intelligent who is reading this and interested in learning about piano tone wont be confused by your trolling.

I guess I'm not worthy, since basically, I know enough about physics and acoustics to disagree with almost every word you write on the subject, the only correct words in your acoustic treatises being and, of, in, on, and other connective devices betwee the fonts of misinformation and magic.

Now this in itselfisn't anymore your fault than it was medieval man's beliefs in magic and witchcraft due to a lack of proper scientific understanding of thunderstorms, diseases, and other natural causes.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hopefully we can stop the fighting and get back to topic.

Keith, I understand what you're saying. The OP, I thought, was concerned with the unique identifiable sound of each pianist. And there is no doubt that their tone is recognizable regardless of piano.

I think you were both talking past yourselves here. I think you are both right. My teacher has a particular style of playing where he constantly rides the soft pedal when playing jazz. In effect, he's using the physical characteristics of the instrument to enhance the other things he can control. So in that sense, he's altering the piano tone.

In another sense, he knows what kind of tone he wishes to produce and realizes it is not something he can manipulate on stage so he has a specific tonal profile for his piano that his tech creates for him (softer hammers).

He also makes sure to create the proper recording environment to enhance the sound he wishes to create.

Thus, he comes up with a unique tone on his recordings.

But I don't think you're suggesting that you buy the idea of flexing shafts and that some aftertouch on the keys affects the sound after the hammer is released. Or do you?

Pianoclues.com for Beginners
My Jazz Blog
Hamburg Steinway O, Nord Electro 4 HP

V
V
Originally Posted by jazzwee
But I don't think you're suggesting that you buy the idea of flexing shafts and that some aftertouch on the keys affects the sound after the hammer is released. Or do you?

I'm not exactly sure of the exact earliest date that an escapement was first introduced and incorporated into the keyboard action, but on pianos as we know them, an escapement, a device assuring that once a hammer has struck the strings, it falls back from them, allowing the strings to vibrate undamped, but due to this escapement, aftertouch is a myth, nothing more.
You see it all the time. A pianist rocking his finger back and forth on a key depressed to the keybed to emote "vibrato", but alas, he can rock his finger from now until the end of time, hard enough to push the key right through the piano, but no vibrato will be heard.
Once the escapement removes the hammer from the strings, whatever aftertouch is applied to the keys is a moot point.
Quite possibly, he believes differently.

V
V
I took this post, quoted verbatem, from a guitar forum thread that discusses "tone" from guitarist to guitarist:

It's understandable that someone would want to get into the ballpark of a specific musician's tone, but I thought it would be helpful to note some of the factors, major and minor, that effect things. I'm open to contributions.

Factors that effect tone:
String gauge, life, brand, type
String break angle over the bridge
Hardware brand, type, density, and metal
Tonewood of body, neck, and fretboard
What tree the tonewood came from - no two trees are the same
Body size and construction (including how many pieces)
Set neck or bolt on or neck thru
Pickup types (magnets, brand, position, windings) - no two pickups are the same
Tone and volume knob settings
Quality and type of pots and electronics
Amp type (brand, model, etc)
Tube type, brand, bias, age, position
Cab wood
Cab size
Speaker size, brand, type, magnet, the way they are built into the cab, the way they are wired
EQ on amp and mixers and processors and programs and all that stuff
Gain and volume settings
Pedals (even pedals that aren't on can effect tone too)
Microphone type and position
Processing before and after the mastering process (once the recording is mastered it makes a difference)
Recording equipment (mixers, programs, etc)
Recording environment - temp, humidity, type of room (sound proofed? wood floors? etc)
Recording process - overdubs, production, style
Producer and engineer
The players fingers, style, sweat composition, mood that day, level of inebriation, sexual tension, nervousness, excitement, what he ate that day and how his body processed that food, level of ear fatigue
Cables used - brand, type, length, metal, soldering
The list goes on...

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I took this post, quoted verbatem, from a guitar forum thread that discusses "tone" from guitarist to guitarist:

It's understandable that someone would want to get into the ballpark of a specific musician's tone, but I thought it would be helpful to note some of the factors, major and minor, that effect things. I'm open to contributions.

Factors that effect tone: [...]

Do those factors effect tone or affect tone? I imagine that some do both, but the distinction is central to the topic.

Steven

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Some might find this an interesting read.

http://www.speech.kth.se/prod/publications/files/999.pdf

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
V
V
Originally Posted by sotto voce

Factors that effect tone: [...]

Do those factors effect tone or affect tone? I imagine that some do both, but the distinction is central to the topic.

Steven

Those weren't my words. As I said, I lifted the direct quote from a post on a guitar forum re a discussion on tone. IMO, affect and effect are interchangeable or can be combined, as tone is AFFECTED by all and more of the factors he mentioned and the resultant tone is a byproduct of variable EFFECTS, some occuring in nature and others, electronically.
The primary thing to consider is that alot of our listening is through electronic mediums that impart a huge influence on the tone of the music.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
It was clear that those weren't your words, but the two verbs have different meanings. I suspect the original writer meant to use "to affect" instead of "to effect," and I thought it was worth considering what factors are responsible for the existence of tone and which are responsible for altering it.

They're not interchangeable, unless there's no difference between creating tone and merely having impact on it.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have ideas about Journey's original question - and if everybody is nice to me I will share them.

Classically trained, jazz trained, pop trained or whatever, the question of beautiful tone is either important to a pianist or not. Conceivably a jazz pianist might opt for a harsh tone at times for expressive purposes. But that said, someone who has heard a good pianist at a good piano produce a singing melody, or a perfectly even scale, or a bell-like tone - the famous broken pearl necklace - might be moved to try to produce the same thing in his or her playing. Classical music demands very fine attention to all sorts of expressive resources, and so does certain types of jazz performances. It is not as simple as 'classical pianists obsess over tone'.

When Bach said that playing the keyboard is easy 'you just press the right note at the right time' he was partly being facetious, but was also contrasting the keyboards of his time with the study of the violin and the voice, for which years have to go in to producing a beautiful tone. If you play on a modern 'acoustic' piano, regardless of the type of music you play, the issue of tone production can become something you 'obsess' over, if only because the results of perfecting this aspect of playing are so beautiful and compelling.

Certainly the piano itself contributes the most to differences in tone. But a well trained pianist will bring out the expressive qualities more dramatically than an ill trained one. The string of a grand are under thousands of pounds of pressure and they respond with great sensitivity to the input from the hands. The hands deliver an impulse to the mechanism - a signal with a high frequency content. The transients from the initial impulse quickly die out and the boundary conditions imposed by the fixation of the strings themselves support a set of vibrations related harmonically. Because of the random nature of the initial transients, and the high pressure of the strings, it is very easy to overdrive the mechanism and create a harsh tone - a tone with a loud transient and unavoidable non-linearities. The limits of useful tone - tones which are both full and not harsh - are narrower than a novice player might suspect at first. The piano can be tricky this way.

The challenge of the situation is to be able to produce a full tone without overdriving the mechanism, on the one hand, and the production of an exquisitely soft tone without the notes 'dropping out' or sounding weak. The first task, limiting the transfer of power from the arms to the strings, is overcome by keeping a flexible wrist - a shock absorber - and using fluid motions with the hands. THe second task, producing a full tone at low dynamic levels, is a matter of practice at that keyboard and finding the point at which who have given it just enough.

And then all the other techniques mentioned above- timing, balance, etc - are used to support the illusion of a singing tone. If you listen carefully to recording of Richter or Kempff or Rubenstein you can hear that they create the illusion of a singing tone - or an orchestral brilliance, or clarity of tone, or separation of voices - by an almost superhuman exercise of control of the parameters mentioned.

Whether or not someone has use for this level of control within a particular style of music seems to be entirely a personal choice.

Last edited by Schubertian; 10/05/09 01:18 PM.

"There are so many mornings that have not yet dawned." -- Rg Veda
V
V
Originally Posted by sotto voce

They're not interchangeable, unless there's no difference between creating tone and merely having impact on it.

Steven

With regards to tone, they most certainly are, used in the manner in which I'm thinking of. There's an entire world of acoustic instruments that can be AFFECTED tonally by electronic EFFECTS, which can AFFECT any of the sonic parameters, for one, TONE, once recorded electronically.
Electronic effects will AFFECT the entire sonic profile, especially with regard to the timbral spectrum, which is the major defining component of tone.
Effects affect tone.
Shouldn't we be discussing this on a grammar forum? Or do we really need to flog horses over grammar when we all know exactly what's being stated?
If you really need grammar to argue a point that I'm wrong somewhere along the line, that's fairly weak.
Why not used scientific FACTS about acoustics instead? Or are there no scientific facts available to dispute all the "holes" that you perceive in my theory of pianists being able to change the timbral profile of the piano, not by changing the piano itself, or moving it into a different environment, but by some arcane methods, for no other reason other than to prove me wrrong?
BTW: I put an extra r in "wrong" to give you fuel for your next argument.

V
V
Originally Posted by Schubertian
I have ideas about Journey's original question - and if everybody is nice to me I will share them.

Classically trained, jazz trained, pop trained or whatever, the question of beautiful tone is either important to a pianist or not. Conceivably a jazz pianist might opt for a harsh tone at times for expressive purposes. But that said, someone who has heard a good pianist at a good piano produce a singing melody, or a perfectly even scale, or a bell-like tone - the famous broken pearl necklace - might be moved to try to produce the same thing in his or her playing. Classical music demands very fine attention to all sorts of expressive resources, and so does certain types of jazz performances. It is not as simple as 'classical pianists obsess over tone'.

When Bach said that playing the keyboard is easy 'you just press the right note at the right time' he was partly being facetious, but was also contrasting the keyboards of his time with the study of the violin and the voice, for which years have to go in to producing a beautiful tone. If you play on a modern 'acoustic' piano, regardless of the type of music you play, the issue of tone production can become something you 'obsess' over, if only because the results of perfecting this aspect of playing are so beautiful and compelling.

Certainly the piano itself contributes the most to differences in tone. But a well trained pianist will bring out the expressive qualities more dramatically than an ill trained one. The string of a grand are under thousands of pounds of pressure and they respond with great sensitivity to the input from the hands. The hands deliver an impulse to the mechanism - a signal with a high frequency content. The transients from the initial impulse quickly die out and the boundary conditions imposed by the fixation of the strings themselves support a set of vibrations related harmonically. Because of the random nature of the initial transients, and the high pressure of the strings, it is very easy to overdrive the mechanism and create a harsh tone - a tone with a loud transient and unavoidable non-linearities. The limits of useful tone - tones which are both full and not harsh - are narrower than a novice player might suspect at first. The piano can be tricky this way.

The challenge of the situation is to be able to produce a full tone without overdriving the mechanism, on the one hand, and the production of an exquisitely soft tone without the notes 'dropping out' or sounding weak. The first task, limiting the transfer of power from the arms to the strings, is overcome by keeping a flexible wrist - a shock absorber - and using fluid motions with the hands. THe second task, producing a full tone at low dynamic levels, is a matter of practice at that keyboard and finding the point at which who have given it just enough.

And then all the other techniques mentioned above- timing, balance, etc - are used to support the illusion of a singing tone. If you listen carefully to recording of Richter or Kempff or Rubenstein you can hear that they create the illusion of a singing tone - or an orchestral brilliance, or clarity of tone, or separation of voices - by an almost superhuman exercise of control of the parameters mentioned.

Whether or not someone has use for this level of control within a particular style of music seems to be entirely a personal choice.

Great explanation of overall DYNAMICS and internote DYNAMICS.

The carefully controlled amount of force applied to keystrokes, relative to the whole, and each other.
However, sure as the dynamics that Charlie Parker applies to his playing while playing a plastic alto sax (he used one on several sessions while his regular horn was in hock) versus Charlie Parker playing his usual top of the line Selmer remians the same, Parker didn't produce the same TONE on both instruments.

The timbral profile of any instrument will remain unchanged, regardless of how you affect the keys, unless you EFFECT the timbre, acoustically, electronically, or by altering the instrument in some fashion.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Well said.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
V
V
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

they create the illusion of a singing tone

Well said.

ILLUSION being the key word here. An illusion created solely by overall and internote dynamics. Not by controlling the tone.

Possibly I listen differently. I would hear it as excellent DYNAMIC control, not a change in the TONE of the piano, or "singing tone" (vibrato, portamento, slurs, breaths, yodels, et. al.)

A superb pianist will use DYNAMICS to elicit the full POTENTIAL of the richness of tone inherent in the piano.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
With regards to tone, they most certainly are, used in the manner in which I'm thinking of. There's an entire world of acoustic instruments that can be AFFECTED tonally by electronic EFFECTS, which can AFFECT any of the sonic parameters, for one, TONE, once recorded electronically.
Electronic effects will AFFECT the entire sonic profile, especially with regard to the timbral spectrum, which is the major defining component of tone.
Effects affect tone....

Do you think then that the person you quoted meant to list things that affect tone rather than effect it? Perhaps he wasn't even aware of the distinction or that the inadvertent choice of the wrong word would change his meaning completely; the way it stands, he's asserting that all those factors produce tone, not that they have an effect upon it.

I don't understand your aggro, your defensive posture for such a new member, or your wish to trivialize my query as an issue of grammar policing. It's not. If a simple typo or an obvious misspelling were made, it wouldn't be commentworthy—so you can discard your suspicion about any alleged "fuel for my next argument."

All I seek is insight into or speculation about whether that writer meant "some of the factors ... that affect things" and "Factors that affect tone" where he wrote "some of the factors ... that effect things" and "Factors that effect tone"; despite your remonstrations, that simple question hasn't been answered.

Steven

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
How about those of you who believe that the tone quality of a piano can be changed by a player explain to us nonbelievers how it is done?

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission