2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 10 invisible), 1,878 guests, and 343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
OP Offline
T
I read in this forum about improved piano sampling used in the new Kawai CNx2 series and was curious when it would appear on the CA series ... guess what I found?

link to google translated announcement

Looks very promising but not sure when (or whether) they will be available outside of Japan ...

If you know something or would like to comment on these pianos please feel free to share ...

Tony

Last edited by Tony Lau; 09/22/09 12:18 AM.
T
OP Offline
T
Some new features when compared with current generation:
- a new wood RM3 Grand keyboard with ivory feel
- ultra-progressive harmonic imaging (UPHI) with 88 key stereo sampling (I believe there are 4 samples per key)
- USB interface

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Tony,

(I believe there are 4 samples per key)

I am curious as to why you believe this to be the case - may I ask if you have read this information somewhere online?

USB interface

Yes. This allows MP3/WAV files to be recorded and played back directly.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
T
OP Offline
T
Hi James,

I got the idea from this page:

http://www.kawai.co.jp/ep/products/ca93/UPHI.html

The diagram showed samples (from weak to strong) D, C, B, A.

I don't know if this is technically correct or it is just an illustration of the idea.

Hello Tony,

You are correct, this illustration is intended to provide a general explanation of how the new 'Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging' system is employed. However it over-simplifies the process somewhat, and is therefore not technically correct.

KAWAI will be using a similar illustration in it's non-Japanese CA93/CA63 marketing materials, however I shall ensure that readers are fully aware that the image is a simplified interpretation and not a technical representation of the process.

Many thanks for highlighting this important point.

Kind regards,
James
x

T
OP Offline
T
I recently noticed a subtle difference between CA93 and CA63 beside the number of tones (80 vs 60) and the speaker system (soundboard vs none). The CA93's keyboard provides a "let off feel" (hope I translate it right), which probably means the simulation of the escapement.

Correct.

James
x

Wow sounds cool! so what is so special about this new action compared to their old AWA PROII?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by KAWAI James
You are correct, this illustration is intended to provide a general explanation of how the new 'Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging' system is employed. However it over-simplifies the process somewhat, and is therefore not technically correct.

KAWAI will be using a similar illustration in it's non-Japanese CA93/CA63 marketing materials, however I shall ensure that readers are fully aware that the image is a simplified interpretation and not a technical representation of the process.

Many thanks for highlighting this important point.

Kind regards,
James
x

How about giving us a more technical and complete explanation here? This is a very important point, particularly given the crossroads the industry seems to be standing at in choosing between better sampling and physical reproduction technology on the one hand and modelling approaches on the other.

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Oblacone
Wow sounds cool! so what is so special about this new action compared to their old AWA PROII?

I checked the Kawai Japan website and this translated page may help explain some of the new features of the RM3 action:

CA 93 features

The ivory feel and escapement are new. There are some other subtle refinements such as key material, weighing and pivot positioning (fulcrum) for black and white keys to make it feel even more like a grand piano.

My piano playing skill will not do CA93 justice :), but I am eager to find out how much CA63 will sell for in Canada when it arrives. Hopefully not a gigantic jump from the current price of the CA51.

Tony

I wonder when... These babies should be released before Christmas.

People can buy CA63 in Japan for $2,555 (to be shipped on the 13 of November) via Yahoo shopping.

I hope someone will enlighten us with first impressions of CA93 later this month. Anyone from Japan?

Last edited by Nikola Tulimirovic; 10/03/09 01:02 PM.
T
OP Offline
T
A local dealer (in the Greater Vancouver area in Canada) mentioned it may not arrive until Feb-March next year. The dealer does not know the price yet.

If that’s the case, I guess they first want CA51, CA71 and CA91 nearly sold out. I hope this is not Kawai’s strategy. It would be very nice of KAWAI James to let us know when to expect CA63 and CA93 in North America and Europe.

Originally Posted by theJourney
How about giving us a more technical and complete explanation here? This is a very important point, particularly given the crossroads the industry seems to be standing at in choosing between better sampling and physical reproduction technology on the one hand and modelling approaches on the other.

I believe the V-Piano is still the only purely modelled digital piano currently available. While I am sure we will see this technology filter down to other - presumably less expensive - products in the future, I believe sampled pianos (or a combination of sampling and modelling) will remain the preferred choice among digital piano manufacturers for the time being.

Without wishing to avoid your question (!), as KAWAI's Harmonic Imaging technology is a proprietary system, I'm afraid I cannot go into great detail explaining how the piano sound is produced . However, as you might expect, the most recent UPHI implementation allows for an even greater level of expressiveness than previously possible with the current PHI ('Progressive Harmonic Imaging') and original 'Harmonic Imaging' techniques.

When consumers play test the new CA93/CA63 (and other upcoming instruments that will use the UPHI sound source), I'm confident that they will be pleasantly surprised by the improvement in sound technology over the current CA91/CA71/CA51 models.

Cheers,
James
x

Nikola Tulimirovic, I am aware of your queries, and shall attempt to respond to them a little later.

Kind regards,
James
x

That’s great. Thank you, James.

I am tired so my calculations may be wrong, even simple ones. It looks like the price of CA63 in Japan is between the price of CA51 and the price of CA71.

Hello Nikola,

I'm afraid I do not really have any fixed dates for the US/Europe launch - this is decided upon by KAWAI US and KAWAI Europe. My recommendation would be to contact each subsidiary company to ask when the new models will be available.

It looks like the price of CA63 in Japan is between the price of CA51 and the price of CA71.

Yes, you are correct. However this pricing structure may/may not change when the instruments are introduced outside of Japan.

Kind regards,
James
x

Neither North America nor Europe will see these digitals in 2009. I’ve got replies from both Kawai US and Kawai UK. I’m still waiting for Kawai Germany and a bit more precise estimate from Kawai UK, but I expect no dramatic changes and intend to make my final decision soon. That decision will almost certainly be buying CA51, as soon as possible.

I am a bit disappointed (really wanted to get my fingers on RM3), but also happy to put an end to all this madness. laugh

Now I really have to work and sleep for a while...

James, thanks for your help and effort. Good luck to all of you waiting! I’ll keep you posted in case I get any news on the topic.

T
OP Offline
T
I probably will "struggle" with my Casio CDP-100 a few more months before deciding what to get. In the mean time I plan to try out the CA51 to get a sense of what a it feels and sounds like.

Keep us posted.

Tony, in terms of sound comparison, I would recommend play-testing the CN32/CN42 (or CN22/CN18 if the higher specification CN instruments are unavailable) over the CA51. The more recent KAWAI models utilise the 88-key sampling source which will also be used in the CA93/CA63, albeit by way of the more expressive Ultra Progressive Harmonic Imaging system.

Cheers,
James
x

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission