2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, drumour, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, 7 invisible), 1,251 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Does it have a touch adjustment? From Lite to Medium to Heavy. Also please consider that speakers do have a break in period of anywhere up to 100 hours or more. I'm not saying that the sound will be completely different after that break in period, but it probably will warm up somewhat.
I've also found that I had to find the 'sweet spot' on my volume control of my DP. Meaning that at a certain personal playing touch and weight, coupled with a master volume adjustment, the piano tone sounds nice, with the master volume set higher than that, the sound became strident and aggressive.

A common thing to do with a new DP is to turn the volume up too much. Try finding a happy medium with your master volume control and get used to it. Possibly start a little on the quiet side. When you find yourself banging too hard to listen at moderate levels, inch your master volume up a little.

P
OP Offline
P
I have tried but I didn't notice probably I didn't put the volume high up when i tested and possibly got distracted/confused with many other brands/models etc.

Anyway as the emenelton says, maybe I am not meant to play loud, and need to find a compromise where it sounds better and loud enough.

hi
F
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
F
pocoloco, I went thru the same process that you're experiencing now. Top quality 'phones will definitely improve your listening experience, because they'll let you hear the full quality of the included sounds. (The on-board speakers are too small for good reproduction of the bass register.) I use and recommend Sennheiser's HD 600's. Those 'phones are said to have a "flat" response. In this context, flat means that no frequency range is exaggerated. They're also expensive. Their predecessor, the HD 580's, used to appear on eBay. Worth looking for.

Ultimately I think that you'll want to combine 'phones with a software piano, which would be stored on your computer. (I got a year out of the 'phones before buying the first software piano.) I'm playing Galaxy II, which has three very tweakable pianos: Hamburg Steinway D, Bosendorfer Imperial, and Bluthner baby grand. The latter has what propianist described as a tone befitting a tired old thing that you might come across in a second hand shop. (The Bluthner was probably included because another German firm, Native Instruments, included an old Steingraber vertical in its Akoustic Piano package. IMO the package is not particularly well done.)

P
P
I have a CLP370 and I also find it quite bright. I´m perfectly happy with it´s sound though.
Of course you can change the settings from bright or normal to normal-mellow or fully mellow altogether. That would take the sharp edges off the bright sound, but you probably already knew that.
I also once heard from an experienced DP seller that there was some sort of test. The different participants, after playing a DP for a few months, all preferred the DP that they had played over that period. I don´t know where that test was done, when and on what scale, but it´s something to think about.
Just the same, if you really have serious doubts about this DP, try if you can bring it back or change it for something else. Don´t delay too much either, if you´re sure about the way you feel. That will only decrease your chances of getting a complete refund. I don´t think a break-in period of the speakers will solve it. Maybe they also have a Roland, which I believe is not as bright/sharp. Also don´t blame yourself too much. It´s very hard to decide in a store which instrument you like best (in my experience at least).
cheers.

P
OP Offline
P
Thank you for your comments pieper. I especially loved the don't blame yourself too much part smile

hi
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The sound of Yamaha is rich and bright......I own a CLP 320 PE and a love it. It's a sober and no-nonsense digital piano with very nice specifications and a great appearence!

I played in a musicstore the clp's and compared the sound with an accoustic upright yamaha and guess what.......the same sound.

Yamaha sampled the sound of the grand piano Yamaha CFIII3 and put it in all clp 300 series.....so you get the sound and touch of a Yamaha-grand (115.500 euro) for 1500 euro!!!

CLP 300 series...very nice digital piano's, you can play the very subtle pianissimo and expressive fortissimo.......

I play Schumann, Bach, jazz etc. on these dp.....and I love every minute playing....

Best regards,
Johan B

Last edited by Johan B; 10/03/09 07:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
Kawai CA95SB (Previous:Yamaha CLP320PE & DGX620)
Motto's:
'Music is a way of living' & 'Nil volentibus arduum'

https://youtube.com/user/JohanBenjaminsMusic
B
B
Originally Posted by Marty Flinn
Bobo wrote, "The general concensus here is that clavinovas are bright."
I am in and out of the digital-synths & keyboards forum on a daily basis and have never seen this commented on once that I can remember. To state there is a concensus is unsuportable........I have shown the Clavinvos to hundreds and hundreds of players and never heard this comment.

So it seems that the concensus here indeed is....that clavinovas are bright.

Last edited by bobbo; 10/03/09 07:21 PM.
M
M
"So it seems that the concensus here indeed is....that clavinovas are bright."

Agree, I don't know anything about Yamaha CLP sound, but in a month that I've been reading these forums I've heard the same thing several times. It's not something good or bad about the sound quality, but at least it 'IS'.

P
PLV Offline
P
I have recently bought a CLP-340 but I can't follow what you are discussing here. Would anyone attempt to define "bright"? Do you mean that trebles sounds relatively louder than basses, or is it more a sound quality that you refer to?

An impression I have is that trebles (and bass too, actually) have a much higher dynamic range than my old vertical piano that I used to play before. This is probably all well (old and average vertical piano have limited dynamic range) but it takes some time to adapt.

Another impression is that if I take a chord with both hands, bass seems to dominate and I have to work to make the treble stands out, which could be the opposite of "bright", if you refer to the relative loudness of basses and trebles.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"but in a month that I've been reading these forums I've heard the same thing several times."

Other than this thread, can someone direct me to posts on this digital forum, in the last month, that specifically refer to the tone of Yamaha CLP Clavinovas as being bright? I have never seen one.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
P
P
Marty,

Does it matter? You've seen several now. And almost all of them -- except the OP -- have not been criticisms. The Yamaha sound is the Yamaha sound. Maybe it's not as bright as it once was, maybe the digitals give you a little more control to adjust it, but the overall sound still tends bright. For most people who buy and shop Yamaha, that's not a problem, and many prefer it -- especially in a DP.

It's all relative anyway, and when people refer to Yamaha DPs as bright, they're most likely comparing them to Roland and Kawai. Compared to those pianos, they are bright. Again, not a criticism. Personally, I'm glad they don't all sound the same, and that people have options.

I don't know if there have been specific threads on their brightness before this one. But I have seen it mentioned on other threads -- multiple times -- when compared to other DPs. Just browse some Roland threads, and you'll see it. It's not all dissing either. What's wrong with observing that Roland and Yamaha are different or helping prospective buyers -- like me -- understand why they're different?

To shift back to acoustics. Personally, my own tastes have changed, and our C3 is brighter than I'd like (it's 9 years old). But it's certainly not harsh, nor is it anywhere near the brightest I've ever heard. That honor goes to a Kapteyn & Sons (Wilh. Steinberg IQ28 with dealer specifications). Horrific sound!

-Joel

P
OP Offline
P
Instead of proving what the previous consensus on CLP 340's sound quality, why don't we establish a brand new consensus here?

It has been a week already since I have my CLP 340, I am sort of getting used to it, maybe my original comment on treble being harsh was a bit too harsh. I think the volume is not meant to be 100% up, probably it sound the best around 75%. What do you think?

Still haven't had a chance to test with headphones.

Last edited by pocoloco; 10/05/09 02:08 AM.

hi
Wow! I keep the volume on my p155 at about 75% which sounds good and is plenty loud with the on board speakers. It's too loud for me with headphones. Just for fun tomorrow, I'll try it louder, though I don't think I'll be able to go the full 100%. I know it would definitely hurt my ears eek.

Love others and do what you love!
T
T
I believe that this is the standard response. After a while people get used to the sound of their DPs and come to like it a lot. I've read surpisingly few posts of DP owners that are unhappy with their instruments. Unhapiness may start only if after a while they get the chance to play on another piano - real or digital.

G
G
Originally Posted by emenelton

A common thing to do with a new DP is to turn the volume up too much. Try finding a happy medium with your master volume control and get used to it. Possibly start a little on the quiet side. When you find yourself banging too hard to listen at moderate levels, inch your master volume up a little.

We would consider too, that it could be the opposite : to produce the same intensity of sound, you have to hit the keys harder with a low master volume than with a high master volume. So, you could reach the 3d or even the 4th level of sample, wich are more brilliant, in particular for the 4th (more upper harmonics). A higher master volume will decrease the level of sample to produce the same intensity of sound, i.e. the 2th instead of the 3d (or even instead of the 4th), or 1th instead of 3d...

I think it does exist one ideal position of the master volume to produce the most realistic sound as possible. Not many, just only one (maybe one for the speakers, and another one for the headset). And I think that this position is rather high, perhaps the higher one (depending of the power of the DP). Don't forget that when you hit a lot of keys very hard on a real piano, you produce very much sound... A DP should try to reproduce this as close as possible, so the master volume should be high. In consequence, you'll have to hit the keys softer, to finally obtain a more realistic mellow tune produced by the first levels of sampling.

Last edited by Grigou; 10/05/09 05:15 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'll take one more pass at this then shut up.
I've got no problem with someone who plays and listens to a new Yamaha CLP340 and offers the observation/opinion that to their ear it sounds "bright" in comparison to other brands and models they have played or heard.

In this thread there have been nine posters who have claimed Clavinova "brightness." I would be curious to know, of those, how many have personally played or heard a new Yamaha CLP340? None posters on one thread on the Piano World Digital Forum does not a "general consensus" make. If you have a personal observation on tone on a given instrument, make it. Stand by it. But don't attempt to strengthen it by invoking a universe of opinion that isn't supported in fact.

I am not out to change opinion. I am out to keep potential customers judgements and opinions open until they have experienced the product for themselves. We all hear music (pianos) differently. Two customers on the same piano on the same day often describe the sound 180 degrees apart.

The comments I objected to were in the form of:
"It is the general consensus", "I have heard before", indicating second hand information or over generalization. If this type of comment disuades even one single shopper from at least auditioning a new Yamaha Clavinova for themselves, this is a disservice to the shopper and Yamaha.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
If this type of comment disuades even one single shopper from at least auditioning a new Yamaha Clavinova for themselves, this is a disservice to the shopper and Yamaha.

I think most of the regular posters here always encourage people to try out DPs for themselves before they buy them--precisely because they *do* sound and feel different. And you can't know which one you'll prefer until you hear for yourself. I played Yamahas and Rolands many times before deciding that I personally preferred the Roland sound and touch. But I've read many threads where other people did the same thing and fell in love with the Yamaha instead.

Anyway, the point is that nobody is really disparaging Yamaha here or telling people not to try them. If you hate bright sounding pianos, than you probably won't like Yamaha--but playing it is the way to discover that.

P
PLV Offline
P
I have bought my CLP-340 few weeks ago. After reading this forum I got inspired to to play around with the settings and now I have found a setting that sounds optimal to me. I share it with you in case someone wants to try it:

- "GRAND PIANO 1" voice
- HARD touch sensitivity
- ROOM reverb
- NORMAL/MELLOW brilliance (both are lit)

This works perfectly for me and actually improved my playing experience with the CLP-340 compared to the default settings.
You can save any configuration as default setup by using the backup function (check the owner's guide).

B
B

The comments I objected to were in the form of:
"It is the general consensus", "I have heard before", indicating second hand information or over generalization. If this type of comment disuades even one single shopper from at least auditioning a new Yamaha Clavinova for themselves, this is a disservice to the shopper and Yamaha.

Marty I assume you have an issue with my statement, heres my rebuttal...

Firsty, On this thread I haven't encountered a single criticism or downputting of yamaha. I personally think yamahas are top notch pianos too, I like them and i would always encourage DP shoppers to try out all the brands. I prefer Roland, it doesn't mean I'm on a Jihad against Yamaha.

I've been on these forums for years also researching suitable DPs for myself and I am certainly under the impression that many on this forum find Yamahas are brighter compared to say, the rolands.

Excluding the opinions on this thread alone...
Just a quick search using the search facility on this forum.....heres the first 6 results out of a hundred or so..the search is only limited to 2 years and so the opinions on whether yamahas are bright is going to go far beyond this tiny sample...

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/680411/Searchpage/1/Main/54252/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20Roland%20HP%20204%20(compared%20to.html#Post680411
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/658274/Searchpage/1/Main/51414/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20FP-7,%20HP-203,%20HP-207:%20same.html#Post658274
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/694759/Searchpage/2/Main/56113/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20Preparing%20to%20shop%20for%20DP%20-.html#Post694759
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/694856/Searchpage/2/Main/56123/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20Between%20Yamaha%20or%20Roland%20D.html#Post694856
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/699558/Searchpage/2/Main/56704/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20Buying%20top%20DP%20for%20the%20futu.html#Post699558
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/669634/Searchpage/1/Main/52838/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20CP33%20Grand%20Piano%20Sound.html#Post669634
https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/658274/Searchpage/1/Main/51414/Words/bright/Search/true/Re:%20FP-7,%20HP-203,%20HP-207:%20same.html#Post658274

I hope this sample plus the other 100 or so and the many more in the previous years are enough evidence for me to stand by my claim that there is a opinion by many here, that yamahas are bright, and if posters talk about quality of tone, the yamahas will be described as brighter than other brands. If this is a recurring statement on this forum, then that could be described as a concensus here. The opinions of posters on this thread strengthen the case.

I am very suprised you have not until now, not once, ever, read that posters have stated that yamahas are bright. I have read it many times, as others have stated on this thread too...plus there is now plenty to read if you search for "bright" in the DP forums, they will almost certainly refer to the yamaha sound.

I have played the entire yamaha dp range as my nearest yamaha dealer happens to stock only yamaha, everything from the console uprights to the CFIIIs and from yamaha keyboards to digigrands. they have quite literally, everything yamaha under the sun. I've had dealers also say that yamahas are brighter and people might prefer them for jazz or pop music, from dealers that stock both yamahas and other DP brands, and acoustics. Have I played the CLP340? ..you bet! When i try out the acoustic grands such as the CFIIIs and the S series etc, I don't find them bright at all, the sound is quite unlike that of the DPs imho.

Last edited by bobbo; 10/06/09 07:49 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bobbo,
"You have done your homework, defended yourself, and made a compelling case." That was my first blush to your post. Then I decided to read through your evidence citations. Oops?!
1. Refers to Yamaha acoustic pianos. This discussion is about CLP340 specifically and Clavinovas generally. -1
2. Refers to a response from the CLP280, an older model. But, yes indeed a Clavinova. + One point!
3. Refers to the tone in DPs in the $800-$1200 range. Certainly not a Clavinova. -1
4. Refers to a 200 series older model, not a CLP340, but a Clavinova +1
5. Refers to a CP33 model. Not a Clavinova. -1
6. Refers to a CP33 model and in the context of voice comparisons within the instrument relative to each other. -1
7. Is a duplicate of #2. 0

If the other 93 results for "bright" are as inconclusive as your first seven, it hardly seems a complete conclusion.

For the most part I believe the bulk of the rap of Yamaha being "bright" on this forum is directed to their acoustic pianos. Yes, I read this all the time. I honestly had not heard or read what I believed to be a "consensus of opinion" on Clavinovas in general and certainly not in the CLP340 specifically. I see your broader more global scope to include all Yamaha products from keyboards to concert grands.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission