2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,301 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hahahaha, that's funny!!!!! So much for spell check which I don't have and wouldn't help in that case anyway!! I guess, close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades me thinks?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
B
Originally Posted by Sam Casey

I had a deal on a Baldwin spinet I tuned a year ago. Set the appointment up with the old man, (always hazardous) came to the house and lady met me asking how much to just tune the brassy notes? I quoted my fee for tuning, AGAIN and said that was the cost. We don't just tune the "brassy ones." Can I call my husband? By all means do so. She comes back and says, I think it really sounds fine, it just a few brassy notes. By this time I had wandered over to the piano. THere were about 10 pieces of tape on different notes. One the top was tin cup with paperclips. I hit a note and lifted the cup. THis kind of brassy note? No more brassy. If you want the piano tuned, call me, says I and left. I then switched on me Blackberry and deleted the record. Never to see me darken THAT door again.

Kind of reminds me of an email I received recently. She asked how much I charge for a piano tuning, that she has an old upright that has been regularly maintained. I write back "My standard fee is $x".

She writes back "How much to tune a spinet?"

tired

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Jim Alfredson
Musician / Tuner
www.organissimo.org
It amuses me to see how some people think the price of a tuning is outrageous, even though they only tune once every several years. On the other hand there are those customers that tune regularly and never complain about the cost.

We are a colorful and varied lot.

Registered Piano Technician
Serving Colorado Since 1978
randy@karasikpiano.com
www.karasikpiano.com
B
Bob Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
She must have one of those rare big old uprights with the spinet conversion option. Saw one of those once. It was on the wrong end of a catapult......

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Had 3 this week like that.

One lady called yesterday and insisted that I charge her X amount to tune her piano instead of my regular fee which was $40 more. I said nope. She was very persistent. To the point of becoming very annoying. So I was just as persistent. Well then, she said, I will just have to look around. OK I said, good luck finding someone that is willing to compromise quality to meet your price. It doesn't work that way. There are elcheapo tooners out there. If all you're interested in is price good luck.

Had another that asked if I would give a discount because the economy is down in Michigan. Nope.

Had yet one more that asked what my price was. After I quoted it she said "I haven't been able to find anyone that will meet MY satisfactory price for a tuning." I thought, yea, what is it $2.00? I said, and with your expectations, you won't either. I didn't get that one... grin

With each one of these, I said look, my expenses certainly are not going down, nor is my gas bill, electric, vehicle expenses or anything else. I cannot afford to give every person a discount that wants one and you really don't want me to compromise my quality to do so and I refuse to do that in any case so, no can do...

One thing is for sure, people are getting more and more gutsy.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
J
JBE Offline
J
That's happening around here too. I never give in to the price shoppers either. They must think that we're desperate. Another thing that I've experienced more lately is last minute changes and cancellations. People calling the night before to say their son needs to go the doctor in the morning or whatever. I'm almost getting to the point where I'm considering a one strike and your out rule.
You can usually tell if it is a real emergency or something else.

R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
If you open the phone book and look for building contractors or plumbers or electricians, you will find MANY more than piano techs! Perhaps hard line negotiation works there-I don't know...but like most good techs we're booked WAYYY out into the future and we just don't need to put up with abuse.

People sometimes try, in good faith, to negotiate price...Jane takes the calls, and she's VERY up front about our pricing being consistent and fair.

I have never, ever, (not even once in 30 years!!) been happy with any client who starts the relationship on that basis. Last month I had an elderly customer tell me that, by offering to do more (very needed!) work on his much neglected piano, that I had been, in his words, "lowballing" on the phone so I could raise my rate in person. I calmly packed my tools, waived the service call and speaking kindly (he was elderly-its my upbringing!) I left. He called back a few weeks later and we arrived at an understanding and it turned out ok...I returned and did some work for him.

But, that illustrates that if you base your service on pricing alone, you really will have problems with price shoppers trying to hold you to exact numbers in a very NON exacting situation-namely, their non-maintained pianos.

But...you certainly can't blame them for trying every now and again!!..somebody reads a book on assertive business or something, and they assume that we technicians are going to leap at the chance to compete for their account...For our part here, we just decline the work and send them to somebody else. Life is just too sweet to spend it in negative relationships. Who was the famous financial teacher (?) who said "Trust me, there is some money you just don't need in your business!"

RPD

MPT(Master Piano Technicians of America)
Member AMICA (Automated Musical Instruments Collector's Association)
(Subscriber PTG Journal)
Piano-Tuner-Rebuilder/Musician
www.actionpianoservice.com
DEALER Hailun Pianos
B
Bob Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Everytime I've settled on a fixed price prior to seeing the piano, I've been sorry. You arrive to find everything sticking, a broken pedal, and the piano is two notes flat. I give customers a price range.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Here, we have a public school system that has or, had about 250 pianos in locations all over GR. Every year, they would send out bids to every tuner in the phone book. I never bid on them. Last I heard, they were still being tuned for something like $35 a tuning and that the school system is so demanding it's pathatic. I read the bid once for fun many years ago. It stated how a certain amount of pianos were to be tuned by such and such a date all throughout the school year. If they were not completed by that date, the bid was null and void and open to bidding again and you could only get paid upon completion of said work. HAH!

Recently, I got to view first hand a few of these pianos up close. What a fricken mess they were in. For that price, all they have been getting is tuning and nothing else. And rotten tunings at that IMO. They only tooners they could get was the worst of the bunch because nobody else would bother bidding on it. I finally sent them a letter telling them to stop wasting their paper on me.

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Bid:

At 1st tuning (September), only the middle strings will be tuned. Temperament strip shall remain in piano to mute left and right strings. At second tuning (January), right hand strings will be tuned to center strings (which will still be in tune from September) (haa haa) and temperament strip will be adjusted accordingly. At third and final tuning (April), Left hand strings will be tuned to complete the unison and temperament strip removed.

hee hee

Ya... but what about the bass unisons...?

ha

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Leave um, they don't count. grin

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
Jerry,

Your comment about the GR Public schools hits home...

Way back in 1989-1990, when we first moved here, I accepted a contract to tune all the pianos in the Kalamazoo school district...it was $25 each THEN! I did it for a couple years and told them I was submitting a sheet on every piano and needed repair.

They were unable (or unwilling) to spend even an additional $20 per piano, and I gave up the account...

As for bidding, I don't bid for anything anymore. I used to get bid letters from one of the local colleges, but after a couple years I realized they were just using my bid to meet their standards of getting multiple bids, and I too asked them not to bother me again LOL!

Funny...we all have the same life experiences. So guys...I'm 50 this year. Those of you who are older, how about telling me what is coming next?!

On second thought, I think I'd rather not know!

RPD

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
3 more years of the same crap??? cry wink I turned 53 this past May. Congrats on the 50th. Big bash?

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
R
RPD Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
R
NO bash...I snuck up on it and the year is almost past and nobody's noticed...except, now I'm in the extreme youth of old age, rather than the extreme old age of youth. ;-)

RPD

(Subscriber PTG Journal)
DEALER Hailun Pianos
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Is there a difference? wink It's all in our heads. I've been accused of acting like a 10 year old. Gee, I can't imagine why!!!??? grin I refuse to grow up. Make me! Nope! Can't do it! Won't do it! Life is much to fun for that!

Jerry Groot RPT
Piano Technicians Guild
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.grootpiano.com

We love to play BF2.
B
Bob Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
A customer today had an big ole ugly/cute bull dog. The dog sat next to me for the whole tuning, slobbering and snorting the whole time. I had to crawl under the piano to adjust the sustain, and I'm putting it off, because that dog would be slobbering all over me the minute I laid on my back under the piano. Finally, the dog left the room and I took my chance, and rushed under the piano. No sooner was I there, and the dog came galloping back in the room and I had to jump up from underneath. A minute later the dog leaves again, and this time I was able to make the adjustment. Back at the keys, I realize my adjustment is a tiny bit short, so I dive underneath the piano and in gallops the dog. I jump up once again - that adjustment will have to wait till next tuning!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Bob, you might want to stop at the pet store and pickup one of these... set it up and work inside.. [Linked Image]

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate

Yes and make sure it's big enough for the Piano and you and the stool/bench. Rough!

Good one Monster! thumb

Scott
Associate Member Piano Technicians Guild
RsgPianoService
We love to play BF2
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
The customer see our price for tuning the piano and thinks this person is earning a lot of money for a hour or so of work. They don't take in account for gas, traveling time and most important the government taking at least a 1/3 of our tuning fee.

Wayne Walker
Walker's Piano Service
http://www.walkerpiano.ca/
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission