2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,848 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Phixit Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hello,

I played piano for 3 years in my childhood. I also played tenor saxophone for 2 years at high school. I'm now 23 and I'm looking to learn piano again. I saw several threads about digital pianos, but I want to know what you guys think of these specific models.

Casio PX-130
Casio CDP-200
Yamaha P85

I need something that has a MIDI connection and a headphone output. Is it a good choice for a beginner ?

Thank you.

Last edited by Phixit; 09/30/09 06:03 PM.
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Phixit,
All three pianos you have listed have the features you are looking for. Out of the 3 you have listed, I think the PX-130 is the best. The piano voice is better than the CDP200 or the Yamaha P-85. All have MIDI capability although the Casios do MIDI through a USB port while Yamaha has MIDI In/Out jacks. The action on the Yamaha is GHS which is very light in my opinion and is not Yamaha's best action. Also the piano sample is a single layer sample. The Casio piano action tends to be heavier than Yamaha and is a subjective thing. You need to try out whatever you are considering buying in a store and bring headphones to compare the sound.
The CDP 200 offers a lot for the money if you're looking for additional sounds and on board rhythms to play along with. The sound source (HL) is not as good as what the PX-130 has (AIF) and the polyphony in the 130 (128) is higher than either of the other two. The piano sample in the PX-130 is a 4 layer sample and is comparable to the sound of a Yamaha P-155. There is a thread on this forum documenting user opinions. Use Search to look for PX 130/330/730 Reviews. Good Luck.

Last edited by galaxy4t; 09/30/09 06:30 PM.
L
L
I don't think the PX130 has midi connections but the PX330 does. The yamaha P85 has midi connections but I'm thinking there are more updated models like the P140 and the P155 but of course more money. You'll get more opinions here i'm sure but it may be just as easy for you to google each model and read the specs for yourself and also go to someplace like musicians friend (.com) and read reviews for each of the models you're looking at. ---If you want midi though i'd go with the casio PX330 (possibly get it for $560 at music123 if they'll still honor their 20% sale) or if you have a higher budget i'd suggest looking at the yamaha P155. The P85 I'd probably say avoid even though it has midi.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
The other thing that the CDP 200 has is the "Step UP learning system" with 152 included songs, including some good classical ones.

I already have a DP, but the practice and learning stuff, although good, doesn't allow for measure by measure/phrase by phrase practice...I didn't want to spend quite as much as the CDP, so I chose to get a WK 200 which should be here in a couple of days.

Anyway, if I were going to buy now I would get the CDP 200.

All of them would be good for you though.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I agree with the first two posters. I'd avoid the P85 and get the PX-130 or possibly the PX-330, if MIDI features, additional sounds and a line in/out are useful to you. If you can afford to spend a bit more, than the Yamaha P-155 is even better.

I would also consider the Korg SP-250, which is about $700. This lacks recording and has only 60 polyphony, but has an excellent action and a very good piano sound.

M
M
Originally Posted by Phixit
Hello,

I played piano for 3 years in my childhood. I also played tenor saxophone for 2 years at high school. I'm now 23 and I'm looking to learn piano again. I saw several threads about digital pianos, but I want to know what you guys think of these specific models.

Casio PX-130
Casio CDP-200
Yamaha P85

All those instruments would work, but I'd recommend visiting the Canadian equivalent of Guitar Center first and trying the different actions. Some people prefer the feel of the Yamaha actions, others like Casio or Roland.

I think the Yamaha piano samples are still more beautiful than Casio's or Korg's, although the PX-130 seems to be a major improvement in that area.

My general impression is that the Yamahas are more geared towards Classical pieces, based on their piano tone and instrument selection, while Casios and Rolands have an edge for contemporary music, so it also depends on what kind of music you intend to play.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission