2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
I was giving a very, very long 45 minute lesson to a 4th grade boy. He was bouncing all over the place and talking very loud. Every time he finished his piece, he stood up and walked around. He actually FELL off the bench today, that is how squirmy he is (every time!).

I was just getting ready to lose my mind when I said for the billionth time "Jimmy*, PLEASE sit still at the piano!". This time he was swinging his legs and feet in giant circles that were actually so big that he was kicking me!

He answered me with: "but my feet are just so happy today!" and smiled a gargantuan smile at me.

Okay fine! You win, you happy, happy boy!! smile smile

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
LOL how cute! Although it sounds like a 45 minute lessons might be too long for Jimmy. Do you have him dance and sing to his music before playing it? Getting him off the bench frequently will probably help him use up some energy, and then when he sits, insist on him being still and relaxed.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
It is hard to be serious with this guy, he's just a bundle of energy. We do a lot of energetic things before and during his lesson. I am still working on getting him to not talk while he's playing, not just "oops" and things like that, but all kinds of random talking! After we master that we will work on "sit still". Baby steps, lol. He's a recent transfer from an apparently VERY laid back teacher smile

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
P
P
LOL, that's cute (his words, not his kicking!). I have a very...energetic...student like that too. The talking is out of control! It takes us forever to get through his lesson book because he is always talking, usually about the most random things.

How long has your student been playing piano? 45 minutes seems like a long time for a 4th-grader, unless he's an intermediate or advanced student.

Private Piano Instructor
Member, Music Teachers National Association (MTNA)
M
M
I must say, that does seem like pretty immature behavior for a 4th grader. Is he ADHD?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory
I was giving a very, very long 45 minute lesson to a 4th grade boy. He was bouncing all over the place and talking very loud. Every time he finished his piece, he stood up and walked around. He actually FELL off the bench today, that is how squirmy he is (every time!).

I was just getting ready to lose my mind when I said for the billionth time "Jimmy*, PLEASE sit still at the piano!". This time he was swinging his legs and feet in giant circles that were actually so big that he was kicking me!

He answered me with: "but my feet are just so happy today!" and smiled a gargantuan smile at me.

Okay fine! You win, you happy, happy boy!! smile smile

Ask Jimmy and his mom if he is eating sugar right before his lessons. Students come to lessons often right after school, and sometimes the after school snacks are cookies, candy, sugar sugar sugar and then we get 'em!
One of my young students actually drank Starbucks caffeine mochas before lessons and she is 12. I talked to the mom and dad about this and now she drinks water and is not shaking and bouncing off the bench.

Piano Teacher
A
A
I had a 6 year old that bounced off the bench once. She was just so excited that she just sort of scooted off at the end.

Something I have tried with my talkative students is no matter what they say I repeat what I want them to do. So if they are talking about something they did over the weekend and I want them to play Pumpkin Boogie I just keep repeating it is time to play Pumpkin Boogie. For example--Have you seen this movie yet? "It is time to play Pumpkin Boogie" You really should see this movie it is great? "It is time to play Pumpkin Boogie" After the movie we all had ice cream. "It is time to play Pumpkin Boogie".

Don't change your tone of voice. Don't show any anger or frustration. Just keep repeating what you want the student to do.

On the other hand sometimes the student has come straight from school to my house for their lesson and they have something exciting to tell me. I do spend time listening and talking to the students too.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Sounds like a cute kid. smile And I'd infinitely prefer unbounded enthusiasm in the classroom than sullen apathy. thumb

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
All of my lessons are 45 minutes, even the 7 yr olds. You just have to keep the pace going, on and off the bench.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
M
M
Originally Posted by Minniemay
All of my lessons are 45 minutes, even the 7 yr olds. You just have to keep the pace going, on and off the bench.

And hopefully "off" is not as a result of falling! LOL! I once had a student who insisted on rocking the bench back and forth on two legs. Well, I kept telling them not to do that, and one day, sure enough, onto the floor they went. They never did that again! laugh

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
sounds like a handfull - what fun though
helps to balance out those overly methodical (not methodist - hehe) types.

Teaching since 2004
Private studio owner since 2008
www.ecsorota.com

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission