2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
M
M
I am an adult starter too. I used to play violin as a child. Started piano lessons when I was 24. Now I am 39. I plan to play at parties or as an accompanist or whereever I could play. I practise 4 days a week for 5 hours.

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I've often wondered if how much of the difference in adult language acquisition has to do with the fact that, as far as I know, no one spends a few years talking to an adult learner without expecting a verbal response, the way we do kids...no one talks to adults the way they do babies and toddlers. I'm not talking about baby talk. I'm talking about single words and simplified sentence structure. If an adult spent a couple of *years* in full-immersion language learning, doing nothing else, the way kids do, being talked to the way we talk to toddlers, being corrected the way we correct toddlers, how well would they learn?

The same with music. I think it was the musical fossils webpage or another webpage like it, where a teacher, who was currently visiting a piano pedagogy conference and listening to others' students play, commented that if one of their own adult students was 7 years old instead of 40 (or whatever), their skills and amount of progress would impress the other teachers and they would get a tremendous amount of positive feedback. Since it was an adult, however, no one would be impressed.

I think smaller stages of accomplishment get significantly more praise in children than they do in adults. For things like music and language acquisition, I think that's a big part of the picture.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
K
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by madrigal
I am an adult starter too. I used to play violin as a child. Started piano lessons when I was 24. Now I am 39. I plan to play at parties or as an accompanist or whereever I could play. I practise 4 days a week for 5 hours.

Wow! I find it hard to make an hour a day -- and that probably comes at some cost to family life in general smirk
Still I should be grateful -- I imagine a lot of people with small children can't even find that much time.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ProdigalPianist
I've often wondered if how much of the difference in adult language acquisition has to do with the fact that, as far as I know, no one spends a few years talking to an adult learner without expecting a verbal response, the way we do kids...no one talks to adults the way they do babies and toddlers. I'm not talking about baby talk. I'm talking about single words and simplified sentence structure. If an adult spent a couple of *years* in full-immersion language learning, doing nothing else, the way kids do, being talked to the way we talk to toddlers, being corrected the way we correct toddlers, how well would they learn?

The same with music. I think it was the musical fossils webpage or another webpage like it, where a teacher, who was currently visiting a piano pedagogy conference and listening to others' students play, commented that if one of their own adult students was 7 years old instead of 40 (or whatever), their skills and amount of progress would impress the other teachers and they would get a tremendous amount of positive feedback. Since it was an adult, however, no one would be impressed.

I think smaller stages of accomplishment get significantly more praise in children than they do in adults. For things like music and language acquisition, I think that's a big part of the picture.

Many moons ago I used to teach English as a second language in Central America at a place that took exactly this philosophy. We attained amazing results with adults -- even with people of limited literacy.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by theJourney

Many moons ago I used to teach English as a second language in Central America at a place that took exactly this philosophy. We attained amazing results with adults -- even with people of limited literacy.

What do you mean by amazing result? Could they speak without Spanish accent? I have no doubt that they can learn the grammar. The grammar can be learned quickly, but the pronunciation that is very difficult to improve. I have been in the States for 18 years, I have to put a lot of effort to pronounce ANY word so that my accent will not come out too much. It is the same like playing Schumann's Traumerei...It is not that difficult to just play, but play beautifully is different matter.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Therefore, critical periods for higher levels of musical expertise are probably quite fluid, and it is clear that there are multiple pathways to achieving musical expertise.
No doubt it's more to do with dedrites- 'About 80 percent of dendrites form after birth, and a large percentage of them form during the first three years of life.'

Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
It is the same like playing Schumann's Traumerei...It is not that difficult to just play, but play beautifully is different matter.
I've seen plenty of kids in my school start with an accent at age 11, they never lose it.

Tim, I didn't really go into what you actually wrote the first time.
This developmental step is an either-or proposition, but the handicap is not complete and may in fact be minor. This step is probably around age 8, and most of us miss that for both music and foreign (but not native) languages.

I question this. That's what I refer to as the "hot wax" idea. I work in languages including occasionally teaching it one-on-one and am learning a new language at a relatively late age - more successfully with less effort than as a young adult. I don't know if you could follow my convoluted treatise.

After mid teens, acquisition of either skill continuously and slowly deteriorates.

I question this as well. I am also not convinced that we can know such things. People devise tests, print out results of such tests, and interpret them. That does not make the interpretation true or absolute.

I've seen so many other parents try to keep up with their children at piano lessons, fall behind, and give up as something they just can't do.

Before I put my foot in my mouth, are you the observing teacher? Can you explain more? In what kind of a scenario would a parent and child be taking the same lesson? Is this like Suzuki, where the child is being taught and the parent participates in order to help? Or something different?

Last edited by keystring; 09/24/09 03:22 PM. Reason: changed "that does not make..."
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by keystring
I work in languages including occasionally teaching it one-on-one and am learning a new language at a relatively late age - more successfully with less effort than as a young adult.

Just to add another element to this already thick stew - is there not evidence that acquiring new languages is quite different and easier for an adult who already has a few, than for a person who is trying to learn their first (outside of native) new language?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"Aha! You just gave me an idea for a new version of Damn Yankees especially for PW members!"

We should be so lucky. Whatever happened to those great show-stoppers like, "Whatever Lola Wants, Lola Gets"--- numbers that put the "tang" back in tango.

I think one reason piano used to be so much more popular is because people used to dance to it. It was fun, it was sexy, it was not the marathon of isolation-endurance that it has become.

Clef

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Uh, Jeff? I think this thread probably ought to be left to die a peaceful death. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission