2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (beeboss, Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,277 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
OP Offline
E
Can you tell me some? I am going to start teaching soon, and don't want to do the wrong thing! Is there any traps you see many new teachers falling into?

Also, I was wondering what kinds of things to put in my "commitment form" or contract.

Thank you!!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Not thinking through your studio's operation. You want to teach piano/music, but you're operating a business. I don't know what your music school taught or required you to learn, but mine was a big fat zero. I took pedagogy courses from the college of education and business courses from the school of business, and it has made a huge difference.

One of the most useful texts I have found on the practical side of teaching is Dr. Martha Baker-Jordan's "Practical Pedagogy" which is loaded with how to solutions, sample studio policies, a CD-ROM with down-loadable documents. It's not expensive, and will pay for itself in weeks, not years!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
M
M
The biggest trap I see new teachers fall into is in trying to refund, reschedule or make up students missed lessons. Students/parents may ask to reschedule for many reasons from soccer games to birthday parties. In many conservatories and community music schools, the policy states there is no deduction from the monthly fee or rescheduling for missed lessons due to student absence. Rescheduling is only done in the event of teacher absence. If the student cancels or fails to attend the scheduled make-up lesson, the missed lesson will not be rescheduled nor will the monthly fee be credited.

Of course, there are some exceptions to this policy- long lasting illnesses (3+ weeks), broken bones, religious observances (outside of the common school year calendar's scheduled days off). So, in addition to your studio policy, I recommend also providing students with a studio calendar to let them know which days are off, and that the fee you charge has already factored these off days, so there is no pay reduction for short months.

Best of luck to you as a new teacher!

~mstrongpianist

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Umm, was the question primarily intended to be about how to ensure that you can rake in much filthy lucre as possible? I was kind of thinking that is might have come from somewhere slightly more altruistic- ie. about what traps to avoid falling into with regard to aiming to help the students as much as possible? Couldn't we focus a little more on that aspect of things?

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 09/27/09 10:44 AM.
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
"The Piano Education Page" might be a good referance for you. I've seen lots of advice written there about the business operation as well as about teaching. (Google)

The website of Dr. "Martha Beth Lewis" is full of information for teachers, students and parents.

"Beth Gigante Klingenstein" is a very capable resource having had a music teaching business column in the American Music Teacher" magazine from MTNA (Music Teachers National Association. She now teaches at a college in South Dakota where she has developed on online pedagogy class for teachers - leading to MTNA Certification. She also has had a book on the market for many years that is still available.

Frances Clark Center for Music Study (New Jersey) along with the "Keyboard Clavier" magazine and many books and videos is a huge resource for professional teachers.

All you have to do is google these names and so much materials will come up. My own list of referance materials for pedagogy and business operations in a music teaching service is huge and I still have many to read on my list after 38 years of teaching.

Best wishes to you!

Betty

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Nyiregyhazi
Umm, was the question primarily intended to be about how to ensure that you can rake in much filthy lucre as possible? I was kind of thinking that is might have come from somewhere slightly more altruistic- ie. about what traps to avoid falling into with regard to aiming to help the students as much as possible? Couldn't we focus a little more on that aspect of things?

So, you didn't read her sentence about "what kinds of things to put in my "commitment form" or contract"??

One of the biggest problems with piano teachers is that they don't consider themselves business people. I think that aspect of piano teaching deserves as much attention as the 'altruistic' parts.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by dumdumdiddle

So, you didn't read her sentence about "what kinds of things to put in my "commitment form" or contract"??

One of the biggest problems with piano teachers is that they don't consider themselves business people. I think that aspect of piano teaching deserves as much attention as the 'altruistic' parts.

Well, I just found it rather notable that you tranposed the "also" into the main question about traps. Is getting as much money in as possible the most important issue here? I'd like to think that up and coming teachers would be primarily concerned with the traps that they don't want to fall into with regard to actually teaching, over the issue of how much money they can get out of it.

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 09/27/09 02:36 PM.
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
I didn't transpose anything. YOU started with the attitude when you commented about "how to ensure that you can rake in much filthy lucre as possible". I was commenting on THAT.

Geez....

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
"I am going to start teaching soon, and don't want to do the wrong thing! Is there any traps you see many new teachers falling into?"

Sorry but you indeed transposed the 'also' part of the post into the above question.

I'm really not looking to start an argument here, but I think that the traps about how to teach are far more important to advise young teachers upon than the issue of how to maximise their earnings. Make the odd mistake with contracts and you might lose a few pounds. Big deal. You can learn from the mistake and move on. Make a mistake with teaching a student and you might screw up their playing up for life. I think we ought to be a little more concerned by the main question, than with the secondary issue that was mentioned. Personally I couldn't give a damn if a student doesn't want to come for a lesson occasionally (provided that they let me know in advance). I'd like to think that I've got more important things to worry about than extorting money out of people for not actually doing anything. To think that I thought teaching might be a vocation first and a means of raking in the cash second...

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 09/27/09 03:59 PM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
"I am going to start teaching soon, and don't want to do the wrong thing! Is there any traps you see many new teachers falling into?"

Sorry but you indeed transposed the 'also' part of the post into the above question.

I'm really not looking to start an argument here, but I think that the traps about how to teach are far more important to advise young teachers upon than the issue of how to maximise their earnings. Make the odd mistake with contracts and you might lose a few pounds. Big deal. You can learn from the mistake and move on. Make a mistake with teaching a student and you might screw up their playing up for life. I think we ought to be a little more concerned by the main question, than with the secondary issue that was mentioned. Personally I couldn't give a damn if a student doesn't want to come for a lesson occasionally (provided that they let me know in advance). I'd like to think that I've got more important things to worry about than extorting money out of people for not actually doing anything. To think that I thought teaching might be a vocation first and a means of raking in the cash second...

At the risk of sounding like an extortionist here,
IMO one of the main "traps" teachers can fall into is definitely the money issue. I think that's why so many of us commented on that first. A business plan serves as a strong foundation, along with pedagogy training.

Piano Teacher
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
OK, Nyiregyhazi, so far your advice is don't think about the money. Anything else to offer, or is that all there is to it?

Du holde Kunst...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
What's wrong with thinking about the money anyway?

N
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by currawong
OK, Nyiregyhazi, so far your advice is don't think about the money. Anything else to offer, or is that all there is to it?

I didn't say don't think about money at all. I suggested that maybe there are more important issues to advise a new teacher on- other than how be in a contractually enforcable position in which to demand money for a lesson, in the event that the kid should warn you a week in advance that they won't be able to come next week, because they are going to their grandfather's Birthday party, say.

For one thing, make sure you grab your students arms plenty, to check that they are loosening up in the right places. In order to play comfortably, you need grip in the fingers but looseness in the wrist. Lose either and you have problems. The only way to ensure these things are working is to check by lifting the student's forearm while they are playing. They need to know what it's like to feel genuine pressure resting on a depressed key at the fingertip, while still having total freedom at the wrist. Unless they chance upon this for themself (which is highly unlikely) you need to show them what this actually feels like. Try pushing their fingertip into the keys slightly, to give that feeling of stable contact. Then simultaneously move their forearm and wrist around at the same time, to show how you have both freedom in the wrist and a very stable contact at the fingertip at once. Some things can only be done by feel, no matter how many words you might use. Always check their permission first, but you simply cannot convey technique adequately without a hands on approach. It's also very useful to get the student to do the same thing on you. There's a tendency not to fully believe the idea of a loose arm, unless you can prove it to them. Ideally play something quite fast and loud and ask them to try to whip your arm away without warning mid-flow. They are always surprised, when they realise how easy it is to pull my arm away from the keyboard. It's a good way to show that not only do you mean what you say, but that you are actually putting it into practise for yourself (rather than simply telling them something that might otherwise seem impossible).

Last edited by Nyiregyhazi; 09/27/09 06:52 PM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
If I could suggest some of the "traps" I fell into when I first started teaching (a Long Time Ago) it may be helpful.
[1] Not thinking through how I was going to manage the business side. It's worth spending time organising this, as others have pointed out. That's if you actually need to eat and pay bills, as most of us do smile . (Disclaimer: I put this as #1 not necessarily because I think it's the most important.)
[2] Taking on too many students at the beginning before I'd had time to properly work out what I was doing.
[3] A tendency to not demand enough from some of the students.

Some of the things I did right:
[1] I wasn't afraid to try things. Or to ditch them if they didn't work.
[2] I did a lot of reading, talking to other teachers, and exploring music.

Du holde Kunst...
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ellechim
Can you tell me some? I am going to start teaching soon, and don't want to do the wrong thing! Is there any traps you see many new teachers falling into?

Also, I was wondering what kinds of things to put in my "commitment form" or contract.

Thank you!!

Start and end lessons ON TIME. Don't feel the need to go over time with anyone, when another student is waiting. I fell into the trap of not using time wisely. Be efficient and make the best possible use of time. Prepare ahead of lesson time as necessary: materials handy and ready for each student.

Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Barb, not only is that great advice for a beginning teacher, it's darn good advice for more experienced teachers as well.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You need to start each student with the proper boundaries, particularly the beginners, so that discipline doesn't become a problem. You need to be friendly without trying too hard to be bosom buddies.

There's no shame in expecting the proper amount of money. If you are not in business anymore because you've let people get away with too much, then you won't be able to fulfill your commitment to students who rely on you for the whole year. Eking out a living isn't hauling off "filthy lucre."

E
OP Offline
E
Thank you!

I definitely wasn't looking for any tips on getting rich. Who would go into teaching piano to get rich? lol

My question was mostly general, because I sincerely was looking for advice in any and all areas of teaching.....both guiding students and the business side.

Thank you for all the insight!

Know that it's okay to make mistakes (with the teaching aspect, not just the business side.) You can't be the perfect piano teacher over night.

A little bribery can go a long way. (In an ideal world, it's not needed, but let us be realistic.)

Don't try to teach too much too soon.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M

You are speaking hypothetically, so does that mean you are not a teacher?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission