2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Just wondered who/what the 'Spiders' are?

Who's Online?
188 registered (acortot, 4evrBeginR, -Frycek, 8ude, Acoustic Dave, Agilita), 823 Guests and 86 Spiders online.

Edit: unless the arachnids really HAVE gained sentience and are populating the PW forums...?!

Last edited by Euan Morrison; 09/24/09 06:50 PM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I once found a wierd half-done web site that listed those of us in the recitals and what pieces we played, as part of a larger database I think, where you could supposedly look up a song and get a list of on-line places to hear it. Something like that. It was nebulous to me.

Anyway, someone suggested that the database was put together by an automated program that combs the web for information - he said he wouldn't be surprised given the number of spiders here. So I associate them with data-finding programs.

I'm sure the techies here will know more.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Spiders (or spyders or web crawlers or a bunch of other names) are automated programs from places like Google that "crawl" around the web following link to link and indexing all of the pages they can find for the search databases of the world. Some spiders are looking for web content to index (like Google) but others are just looking for email addresses or other specialized information.

In other words, a spider is a program "browsing" the web rather than a person.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
It's impressive how many of them are browsing us at any given moment!

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Frank assured us once that spiders are a Good Thing. They help insure that PW comes up near the top in any google search. That helps Frank attract advertisers. And that helps keep PW afloat. thumb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Frank assured us once that spiders are a Good Thing. They help insure that PW comes up near the top in any google search. That helps Frank attract advertisers. And that helps keep PW afloat. thumb

Spiders are the way to get your web content added to the major search systems. But they are also the way people give away their email addresses and other personal information in signature blocks, personal web pages, blogs, and similar ways.

There is no alternative today if we want the web to be broadly indexed and searchable, but folks just need to know that anything they put on public sites like this, or anything they put on personal sites that are linked to public sites (through signature blocks for instance) are fair targets to any spider anywhere.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Monica K.

Yup! And, not only does PW come up in the top of Google, Google indexes posts here SUPER FAST.

People go through all kinds of pain trying to "get indexed" (have Google recognize their site and start showing it in search results).

I've noticed - if I post something here, then do a search for that topic on Google, my post shows up (near the top of the results even!) really strangely fast.

smile I think it means that Google likes us here wink probably because there's so much going on, lots of new stuff added daily. Or maybe we're just a likeable crowd wink

At any rate ,we're being watched!

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Though the idea that spiders are watching us is strangely disturbing to an arachnophobe like me smile

Du holde Kunst...
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Hi Currawong! Not to worry... I just learned tonight, according to my piano teacher... spiders do not like the smell of sheep (thus, sleeping on wool will keep spiders at bay.)

I'm not sure how we end up on this stuff sometimes wink

So the remedy here should be very easy wink Wool blankets for everyone!!! laugh

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by saerra
Hi Currawong! Not to worry... I just learned tonight, according to my piano teacher... spiders do not like the smell of sheep (thus, sleeping on wool will keep spiders at bay.)
Ah, some piano teachers are just full of really useful information! Thanks for that smile

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by packa
Spiders (or spyders or web crawlers or a bunch of other names) are automated programs from places like Google that "crawl" around the web following link to link and indexing all of the pages they can find for the search databases of the world. Some spiders are looking for web content to index (like Google) but others are just looking for email addresses or other specialized information.

Can spiders see inside a member's profile? I've noticed that some members have their email there but not in their signature.

I assume that spiders can't read text that is part of a graphic image, so on my website I made a small .gif image that shows my email address. Humans can read it but they have to type it instead of clicking on it.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In general, spiders don't analyze images nor can they find web resources hiding behind logins and passwords. There is no technical limitation that would prevent someone from pairing a web crawler with some image analysis software, but most spiders today still deal only with text harvesting. It's easier and suits most purposes.

One of the other things you see sometimes is email addresses that have been "disguised" to fool programs looking for the @ sign syntax that distinguishes an address but that still try to be obvious enough for a human being to decode: "smith(at)xyz(dot)com" might be an example.

Some researchers have called the wealth of web stuff hiding behind commercial login screens the "hidden internet" and estimate it may be as extensive as the visible internet (although there is really no way to know). I'm taking a couple of grad courses this semester and the university has given me subsidized access to hundreds of online resources that I couldn't otherwise access without buying a personal password.

The scope of this hidden internet is really fascinating: virtually all scholarly literature published in the last 15-20 years is available online in full-text PDF and there are archives in some subject areas that go back much further than that (I just downloaded an article published in 1962 in a fairly obscure information science journal). Little of this kind of content is available to spiders.

Last edited by packa; 09/25/09 10:46 AM.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you Packa. Very helpful information.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
B
BDB Offline
B
Spiders are those heavy contraptions with large casters that grand pianos that are moved around a lot are placed on in lieu of individual casters on the legs. They are also called piano trucks.

(That is the on-topic answer to the off-topic question!)

Semipro Tech

I can't figure out if this is off or on topic, but it's fascinating as heck nonetheless:

NYTimes article about scarf made out of spiderwebs

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Wow! It's beautiful. But probably out of my league, price-wise speaking.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Spiders are also known as Bots (robots).

Theoretically you can create a robots text file that controls where the spiders "crawl" on your web site.

It works to a certain extent, but doesn't work with all of them (each search engine employs their own sets of bots).

If you click the "Whos Online" link and scroll down you can see which search engines are visiting us at the time. You will often see multiple bots from the same search engine as they send out many of them at a time (it's a big web). Of course sometimes it's just one or two that happen to be crawling all over the forums.

And yes, the search engines do like us because of all the fresh content, and yes, that is a good thing.

The other method for getting a search engines attention is to create a "site map".
Google, Yahoo, and MSN have a particular format they prefer.
Creating a site map helps guide the search engines to the content you want indexed.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Them spiders are doing a great job.
There have been several occasions where my search results have returned the very topic I posted on PW. The first couple times I was at first very surprised, thinking, "WHOA!! Somebody is asking the same question practically word for word!!".

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Radiant!

Humble!

Terrific!

Charlotte made me love spiders so much I named my daughter after her.

heart

Last edited by Nikalette; 09/25/09 11:51 PM.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Triryche
Them spiders are doing a great job.
There have been several occasions where my search results have returned the very topic I posted on PW. The first couple times I was at first very surprised, thinking, "WHOA!! Somebody is asking the same question practically word for word!!".

Hehe I had that reaction too - more along the lines of "WOW! That looks like EXACTLY what I was looking for! ... oh, oops!"

wink

The spider article was fascinating! It doesn't sound terribly economical yet, but the incredibly strength of the spider-silk sounds pretty amazing...

Although... having the silk gently pulled out the spider... errr... doesn't sound so pleasant, for the spider or the person doing the pulling! shocked

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission