2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, 12 invisible), 1,952 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 90 of 452 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 451 452
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I was stuck on that one for quite a while, BarbVA. I'm not sure what made it finally come together for me - except persistence. I don't have the book on me right now, so I can't comment on your specific question about the notes. But it will click and you will get it, and wonder why it gave you so much trouble. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Just an update on me.....

Still working on "Cafe Vienna" and "Lullaby", but I do have "Rock it away" down. I have only had about 15 min a day on my piano unfortunitely. But I did get my 8 yr old son into piano lessons ( so now we have to share :rolleyes: ). He had his first lesson last tuesday and he enjoyed it. So I get to look forward to maybe a mother and son duet in the future laugh . Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that i am still on board. Just a little busy at the moment.... smile

KaylaX cool

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
KaylaX,

As a dad of three, age 11 and younger, I hear ya about being busy! Great job hanging in there and squeezing in that piano time. Thanks for the update!

Angelo

D
D
Originally posted by BarbVA:
I'm up to Beautiful Brown Eyes and I have to say it has a tricky move in it. On the third staff down, where the chord changes to C (third measure). They have on the treble, quarter note c followed by a half note tied to the next measure, on the bass they have quarter note g followed by two quarter note c/d combos.

For the life of me, I can't get that rythm right. Its like when you first learn how to pat your head and rub your belly and your hands get confused as to which one is doing what. I've tried slowing it way down, and its still a challenge over the silliest little thing.

Any advice on that measure, that seems to be the only one that is holding me back on that song.
I think you will find there are several pieces that give allot of us problems and that was one for me. My latest is the can can a rhythm I haven't been able to get yet even though it goes through my mind.
going back to topic have you tried isolating the 2 bars and repeating them several times until they become automatic, I find that helps me, sometimes I do it many times and repeat the exercise over a few days. I find to, listening to the tune a few times helps me in finding a rhythm.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Still working on "Why am I Blue" and polishing "Marine's Hymn" and "Can-Can". "Why am I Blue" has one of those constant rhythms that you have to keep up while playing a tricky right hand. I find that if I concentrate too much on keeping that chord rhythm, I butcher the melody, and if I concentrate on the melody I forget to play all the chords.

I also put "Lullaby" back on the polishing list, after reading several members having trouble with this one I revisited it and found that I didn't know it as well as I thought I did.

I'm also working on "Moon on the Water" from the Faber book. It's easy and kind of pretty. I'm only part way into that book, as it is only one of the books I use as a supplement to Alfred's. I do like the 3-minute exercises that Faber sprinkles in between the units. They are musical, and fun to play.

Also, still working on "Love Makes the World Go Round" from the Alfred Adult Pop Songbook. Unfortunately, I left the Pop Songbook at a friend's house on Thursday, so I won't be able to play from it until I go there again next Thursday. I'm sure that I can find something else to take it's place if I get bored.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Is it me, or is "Good People" on p.117 of the All in One Book quite a leap forward??? eek

Did I miss something between p.116 and 117??? eek eek

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I had the same reaction when I looked at p. 117 today. eek eek But I'm not actually ready to start "Good People" yet, so I'll be looking forward to hearing how you make out with it. Good luck!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
eek eek eek

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Working on Can-Can and Marines. I feel I have made really good progress on my sight reading. Took a peak at @ Good People eek lot of flats. Will make reading more difficult. Looks as if the wall is around the corner.

E
E
Just an update on where I am at. I had my 6th lesson yesterday. Now that I am progressing in Alfreds book 1 I notice each piece is starting to take much more time and effort for me to master. Last week I had to learn Little Brown Jug, Chiapanecas (my teacher had me skip O Solo Mio), Jericho and Greensleeves.

Last two were far from satisfying during my lesson (and before neither), so they remain for next lesson. Strange thing is she gave me some clues on fingering and after playing them for one hour after she left, they significantly improved. I again got remarks regarding my posture and hanging shoulders, which I am aware of and working on.

Another remark I got since last lesson, is regarding equal rithmic playing with both hands. I realy have trouble playing both hands exactly on the beat. When she plays (man, does she play beautiful!), left and right are completly in sync, they sound as one.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

E
E
By the way: "Go Down, Moses" and "Scarborough Fair" are also up for next lesson (in two weeks). She also wants me to order John Thompsons "Very First Etudes (24 miniatures)" and do the first piece. She says they are great exercises. I will let you know my findings.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Enjoy to play:
I'm sure many of us do, that's just part of being a beginner! I struggle with keeping my volume even too, when I come to a section that I'm not so confident about I tend to play harder and louder, especially with the left hand. My left hand frequently drowns out my right too, I'm sure that's a common problem.

I'm at about the same place as you in Alfred's so I'll be interested to hear how you get on with "Very First Etudes" I had a look at it on Amazon looks pretty basic (and old!) but could still be useful. Loads of material that I think could help with my sight reading!

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Another remark I got since last lesson, is regarding equal rithmic playing with both hands. I realy have trouble playing both hands exactly on the beat. When she plays (man, does she play beautiful!), left and right are completly in sync, they sound as one.

I am working on "why am I Blue" ( not a favorite by the way). I was trying to work on the right hand but having a really hard time with the counting. I don't know this song- but I wanted to try and figure the melody out on my own. Well, today I decided to throw the left hand in even though I had not worked out the right hand. To my amazement the left hand set the beat and the counting fell right into place. Doh! :rolleyes:
There are so many different levels to playing a piano. And you know what they say about old dogs and new tricks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm right with you, Carl Mc. I've been working on Why Am I Blue for two weeks now (not one of my favorites either). This is a hard one for me, but it's getting there. I had trouble with the counting/timing at first too, but I "understand" it now, I just have to get my fingers to do it. :-) I managed to get all the previous ones eventually, so I'm sure this one will come along too. Keep working at it!

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
J
J
Just made it through to page 54. So far not too bad. I went ahead and got the supplemental 'Greatest Hits' book. Hopefully that'll add some variety!

B
B
I received the Alfred's Greatest hits book in the mail yesterday, I think all in all I'm going to like it. I haven't had much time to spend with it yet, but I was able to sight read the first piece (Love Me Tender) pretty well for a first try, and I also gave Puff the Magic Dragon a shot and my dh knew what it was supposed to be without me telling him, so it must not have been too hateful.

What I am noticing is that some of the songs seem to have some fingering patterns I haven't yet learned in the Method Book, so I'm not going to try more than the two I'm working on for now, and concentrate on getting to the point in the method book that explains the proper fingering for these pieces.

Hi All,

Im still here. Hanging on by a thread, frustrated, and stuck in the same spot in Alfreds. I just cant get that "Cafe Vienna" down. I also havent had much time to practice either. Tomorrow im going to go to the music store and get me some new books. I think im going to get Faber and Fabers piano adventures 2a books just to supplement. I need to back pedal a little bit when I reach a frustration rut. I need to be able to conquer a few pieces in one sitting and then I will be able to move on and tackle my hard stuff again. And maybe I will pull put my alfreds greatest hits agin too, since some of you have been playing around with it. Anyway, thats just an update on me.

It sounds like everyone else is just cruising right along. Although I am not looking forward to some of those tougher pieces that you guys are talking about. YIKES!!!!!

Anyway, keep up the good work everyone, and have a great weekend!!!!! Thank Gosh Its FRIDAY!!!!!!

KaylaX

Hey does anyone else out there feel like they are getting no-where???????

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
KaylaX, I'm at a standstill too. I am still working on "Why am I Blue" and I think it's doable, but it's going to take a while. The next two look impossible. I too want to put my Alfred's aside for now. I'll see if I can make more progress in my Faber book and a few of the supplemental books until I can get past this roadblock.

For what it's worth, Cafe Vienna didn't come easy for me either. It isn't one of the ones that I kept in my "repertoire" after learning it, so I probably couldn't play it right now without relearning. But I did learn it once, and if I can do it, you certainly can. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Mom3gram,

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it. By the way, where are you in the Faber all in one book???

I still have mine. I havent done much in it cause im in a rut with that book too. But its not a bad rut. I think I can iron that one out this weekend.

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
KaylaX, I'm up to Star Wars in the Faber book - still in the relatively easy ones. :-)

I will continue to work on "Why am I Blue" and other recent Alfred songs that I am still a little shaky on, but I'm not moving on for now. I'm going to move up in the Faber book instead.

I got my "Pop Songbook" back from my friend's house, so I can practice "Love Makes the World Go Round" too.

Sometimes I still think I'm working on too many things at the same time, and I have a list an arm long of other books I want to buy. I'm trying to hold myself off. After all, I only have two hands. :-) Problem is, I have some books that are too easy, and some that are too hard, and not all that many that are just right.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Page 90 of 452 1 2 88 89 90 91 92 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission