2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,220 guests, and 341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T

I am sitting my Amus exam for piano in less than 2 weeks. I am starting to stress and was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the exam? Especially the general knowledge content. What type of things do you need to know about the piece, composer and period (in detail)? Also what type of questions do they ask you, and how good do you need to play to pass?

Also does anyone have the AMEB syllabus? I don't, and was wondering if someone could tell me exactly what is says for the General Knowledge section of the Associate Diploma?

Thank you so much guys I am stressing so badly.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I can't be of any help, but I can't help but ask :

Isn't it a little late to be worrying about these questions at this stage of the game?

Does your teacher not have answers to these questions, and, if so, why weren't they answered some time ago?

Good luck.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Whew - like Bruce I'm wondering why your teacher hasn't been dealing with this. But anyway, I'm in a position to give you some help smile
First, if you go to the AMEB website, there are some tips on diploma exams.
As for the GK requirements, here's what the syllabus says:
Questions will be asked in the following areas:
- formal structure of piece, including keys and modulations.
- terminology - any markings, terms or titles
- repertoire of the composer
- style/historical context of the works presented e.g. texture, ornamentation, performance practice etc
- instrument - historical development of the instrument as it relates to the works presented.

Ideally it isn't something to cram at the last minute, but wide reading over the time you've been preparing the program. Don't panic if you can't answer a specific question - just try to talk intelligently about what you do know. Try to appear confident and interested - they will try to put you at ease.

If you can borrow the syllabus from your teacher there's a summary of what sorts of things they are looking for in your performance, but here's a brief summary:
- fluent, expressive and coherent performance
- ability to differentiate between musical styles
- sense of professional presentation (in other words, act like you are in control. Be poised).

Don't let wrong notes throw you. No-one is expecting a perfect performance. They're expecting a musical one.

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Also, you can expect the General Knowledge section to last about 15 minutes. One of the examiners will be conducting the exam and asking the questions, and the other will be writing most of the time.

And, good luck smile

Du holde Kunst...
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
The tips on diploma preparation weren't easy to find, so here's the link:
Diploma preparation.

Du holde Kunst...
T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Wow, thank you so much, I have been asking everyone and everywhere for information on this. Thanks again! The information was very useful. My teacher has only ever had 2 students sit the exam and one to pass.

As for the general knowledge, I have been learning things for a few months, not heavily though. I just started cramming a couple of weeks ago because I'm the type of person that doesn't do well unless I'm under pressure. My piano teacher has looked for the general knowledge requirements in the syllabus but couldn't find anything, and I don't have one myself.

Do you know if it's true that there is a quota for the day? There is only 2 AMusA exams as I don't live in a very big area, and I'm really worried because I know for a fact that the girl going in before me (who is a couple of years younger) will give a perfect, flawless performance as well as general knowledge. Will this make me look less professional (compared to her)?

And if its not too much to ask... how does this sound for a program?

Bartok - 6 Romanian Folk Dances
Haydn - Sonata in F major Hob.32/XVI
Bach - Suite III Prelude from English Suites
Brahms - Intermezzo in A Op118 no2

Is this a good or bad order and why?

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Tarna91
Do you know if it's true that there is a quota for the day? There is only 2 AMusA exams as I don't live in a very big area, and I'm really worried because I know for a fact that the girl going in before me (who is a couple of years younger) will give a perfect, flawless performance as well as general knowledge. Will this make me look less professional (compared to her)?
There are always rumours about this quota, but I have a friend who is an examiner and no, there is no quota. They judge each performer against their criteria and do not rank them against each other. I guess it would be unreasonable to expect them not to notice if there was a significant difference between one candidate and the next, but it shouldn't influence the way they evaluate you against the criteria. That's my inside info, anyway smile

I think your program is fine, and the best order to play it in is the one that you feel most comfortable with. If it were me I'd probably go in chronological order, but there's no real reason to. You want to start with a piece you feel very confident with.

Du holde Kunst...
I agree totally with the excellent advice currawong has provided. I did my AMusA a couple of years ago (just done my LMusA this year) and, whilst there is a lot of hype surrounding it, they want to see that you can deliver a professional, polished performance. Everyone makes mistakes- even professional pianists sometimes- but if you have something musically interesting to say about the piece through your interpretative and technical skills, then that is what is most important. In terms of the General Knowledge, this equates to knowing much more than what's on the printed page- you should be able to talk intelligently about the composers and give your opinion on a musical matter if asked...treat it not so much as 'question and answer' but as a discussion. For your piano teacher's information, the requirements are found in the front of the Manual of Syllabuses, in the regulations section.

Be aware that this is a performing diploma, so it is quite different from Eighth Grade. As currawong suggested, it is probably better to play your program in chronological order (Bach, Haydn, Brahms, Bartok), but there doesn't seem to be a rule saying that this is a must.

Good luck- and breathe! It'll be all over before you know it. Let us know how you get on!

Andrew

T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ok, just sat the exam..

is it an automatic fail if you restart a piece..

I played my first one (6 Romanian folk dances) well, stuffed up the last line but it was mostly fine.

I then played the first line of my sonata and went blank, so I restarted the piece. Would I be right in saying this is an automatic fail?

My bach went fine, my Brahms went ok, one slip up but it wasnt bad.

I didn't get asked much general knowledge (was this because I had already failed and there seemed no point in asking too much general knowledge?)

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
There are no "automatic fails". I don't think we can predict how you went smile. Just from what you say it doesn't sound like a disaster, but of course it all depends on the quality of the playing in between the stumbles. Don't stress now, it's all over. Just play some new music while you wait for the result.

Du holde Kunst...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tarna - did you get your results? I'm sure you very well.

T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I haven't got my results yet. I will probably receive them in about a week, at least thats how long it took for my friend last year.

I'm almost confident I failed. I walked into the exam and didn't have a book with me so I asked to go back out of the theatre and get it - and it wasn't out there either. So I went back in all shaking and stuff and it turns out I had given it to the examiner with the programs. I must have looked like the most unorganised person in the world. The female examiner told me to take time to calm myself so I must have looked bad.

Secondly, I had a few small errors in dance 5 of the Romanian Folk Dances (Bartok), but I didn't stop or anything and it wasn't too bad, then the big climax at the end of the 6th Dance - well I totally blew that. The ending was still powerful I just didn't get the right notes at all.

The BIGGEST and WORST thing was when I stopped at the end of the first line of the Sonata, then started again. The sonata went fine the second time, but I can't believe I re-started it.

I think my Bach went alright, my Brahms was going great until I got a note wrong and went back over it. TWICE.

There wasn't much general knowledge asked, but the examiner wouldn't let me stop and think about the questions before answering them. So I didn't get to answer one question. He also added things to my answers as if to say my answer was wrong. The general knowledge only lasted about 5 minutes if that, which is making me think that the examiner didn't see a point in asking me much because he had already decided that I'd failed =[

I'm going to try again in Brisbane in December though. Just wish I could've focussed more for a measly 45mins of my life!

Tarna,

Thanks for sharing your exam experiences with us. First of all, know that you've done great just to get to this level- a lot of people don't ever reach AMusA. It usually takes a little longer to process Diploma results, also depending on where you live- one would hope you might have them by the end of the week; if not, certainly next week.

It's hard to tell whether you've passed or not, as examiners are unpredictable people and some are more constructive and positive (in terms of marking, comments or the way they write their reports) than others. I'm not as familiar with the examiners in Queensland, being from Victoria myself. However, I do know that the AMEB generally are making it a lot tougher to get the AMusA- they are really cracking down on the level of playing that is required to get the award. Bear in mind, too, that the vast majority of people do not pass their AMusA or LMusA first time around.

I personally don't think that just because you looked very nervous that would be detrimental- it's natural to be nervous and perhaps forget simple things like where you put a book! (I've certainly done it.) What counts is what happened in your performance- whether you let those nerves get to you or whether you were able to continue. In no way do they expect perfection, so a few wrong notes are not so much of an issue as whether you presented a confident, mostly accurate performance without stopping. If the restarting/going over spots did indeed cost you, then it's a matter of gaining more performance experience so you can avoid doing that; nothing to do with not putting in your best or not focussing hard enough- exam pressure can do terrible things to us!

As for General Knowledge, I don't know whether this is one of your strong areas or not but be aware that a lot of examiners add things/interrupt, etc.- some are just like this! And they can also vary in time. So don't make judgements until you get the report- but whatever happens, take it as a learning experience...after all, if you want to go again in December you have time to get more experience for an even better performance!

Let us know when you have your result.

Andrew

Last edited by 20thCentury; 09/22/09 04:53 AM.
T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks so much. I was feeling really down but it helps now to know that a lot of people don't get it on their first go.

I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Results are back....!

I PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. So many things went wrong, still can't believe I passed.

The comments were really nice, the only bad one said that parts were "insecure" (this was the part I went blank and started again)but I carried on in a professional manner, the examiner wrote the nicest comments. Even general knowledge said it was 'well researched'. And I got heaps wrong!

Wow, I really want to go for my Lmus after I finish uni now!

or maybe do music at uni instead.

STILL CANNOT BELIEVE I PASSED!

=D

C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Congratulations, Tiana!! I'm really happy for you.

Du holde Kunst...
T
Tiana Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks!

Tiana, I'm so happy for you! Obviously your stumbles were not much of an issue- they could see you 'carried on in a professional manner', which is what the performing diplomas are all about.

That is absolutely fantastic and it should give you confidence in your playing and desire to maybe pursue your studies further. The AMEB makes a point of saying that the AMusA is highly respected in the international music community so to have gained it is a really fantastic achievement!

Congratulations!

Andrew smile

congratulation, but may I ask what the LMusa is?

"Nie Dam Sie!"
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Philip Lu
congratulation, but may I ask what the LMusa is?
LMusA = Licentiate in Music, Australia. It's the second highest performing diploma offered by the AMEB (Australian Music Examinations Board)(the higher one is the Fellowship diploma).

Du holde Kunst...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission