2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 252 of 425 1 2 250 251 252 253 254 424 425
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by loveschopintoomuch
Perhaps they spelled it this way then or Schumann was mistaken.

The translator misspelled the English word, inadvertently choosing a nonsensical homophone instead. Schumann's meaning in unter Blumen eingesenkte Kanonen is unmistakably "cannon."

Originally Posted by Elene
you got me wondering whether there are any canons in Chopin's work?

Steven

J
J
Elene: At first I was horror-stricken that I had misspelled "canon." But the quote came from Schumann, as such:

"If the mighty autocrat of the north knew what a dangerous enemy threatened him in Chopin's works in the simple tunes of his mazurkas, he would forbid this music. Chopin's works are canons buried in flowers." I do believe the canons are the national pride so many believe Chopin wrote into his music.

Kathleen: your source got confused over the root and gender of the word in question. Schumann's original (from a review of the two concertos, in a section by "Eusebius") reads "Chopins Werke sind unter Blumen eingesenkte Kanonen". Schumann refers to "[die] Kanone", not "[das] Kanon." The feminine "die Kanone," here in the plural "Kanonen" is "cannons" or "guns" in English; the neuter "das Kanon" (whose plural would be "Kanons") is "canon".

I take Schumann's point to be that, under the flowery surface of Chopin's music there lie powerful (national) meanings that threaten the power of the oppressive tsar of Russia (Schumann's "mighty autocrat of the North").

Jeff

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you Steven and Jeff.

Now I am thoroughly confused. confused Are these plural feminine canons? I hope so because it is the "female" in every species that is the most dangerous. laugh

Steven: I appreciate your comments although I can't say that I totally agree with them.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Chardonnay: And just what is your excuse for letting us know so late about the Kissin concert? I know that LisztAddict is a big fan of his.

You mean, you would have come to Boston?? grin
Actually that would have been fun- although I suspect that LA is a bit tired from all his travels!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"...I loved his [Garrick Ohlsson's] interpretation. And still do to this day. He never received the credit he deserved. I presently own Rubinstein's complete collection (minus the etudes) and Ashkenazy's. I am hopelessly in awe of Rubinstein's performances, but I do have to say that Ashkenazy is a very close second. Budget concerns prevent me from buying any more."

Thanks for your note, Kathleen. It's too true, there are so many worthwhile musicians who are neglected or unknown, though I guess Garrick probably stays as busy as he wants to. His "Complete Works" set is very rich; I'll have to take it in in over time. Yes, tell me about having to budget--- I'm trying to keep mine in check. My wardrobe is a disgrace, but I spend money on CDs, concert tickets, music books, sheet music, piano and tech to go with it. Priorities. I'm trying to catch up on a really bad music education; it's a darkness that doesn't yield readily or cheaply, but if you want light, you have to put yourself where it is.

I have Rubenstein's rendering of the "Waltzes", which I've listened to again and again and have had a whack at playing. No Chopin by Ashkenazy; the recordings I have by him have been a little too punchy to listen to very comfortably, but maybe I haven't found the right thing.

"You sound like quite an expert on the details of specific recordings. Do you like to compare certain performers? What do you look for? Do you follow using sheet music?"

I'm hardly a great expert, just a person who listens attentively and tries to learn and enjoy. I do compare interpretations by different pianists; it can be an eye-opener. I look for works and players who make me feel something, and I don't always understand why this is or how it works, but it's either there or it isn't... though I rarely catch the whole effect in a single listening. I do follow in the score when I'm preparing to learn a piece (a copy usually, so I can mark it up). As my tech, who used to be a Performance major says, some of them are easier to read than they are to play. All too true.

I'm also very interested in pianos: their construction, how they work, how they're different. And I have a more than passing interest in the technical aspects of recordings; it's an art in its own right.

"Post again soon. We are always happy to hear from everyone.

"Kathleen"

Thanks again for your very kind welcome.

Clef

J
J

Now I am thoroughly confused. confused Are these plural feminine canons?

No, plural feminine cannons. And grammatical gender in this instance only helps us figure out what the word means; I doubt there's anything else to be read into it.

Jeff

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Whew... that means I won't have to beg to revise that blub.

Many thanks, Jeff. I took Latin for 4 years over 50 years ago. It has helped me with Spanish, Italian and English (of course). German, not so much. grin

Kathleen

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 09/23/09 07:47 PM.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I agree. Chopin sounds the best for piano solo. He is THE piano master. Without him piano playing just wouldn't be what it is.

CA

I'm not sure what you're agreeing with. smile

The two posts before mine seemed to point out that Chopin's solo piano music is better than other instruments + piano, and I agreed... wink

Originally Posted by sotto voce
Chopin wrote at least ten pieces for piano and other instruments, and I would much rather hear the music the way he wrote it than transcribed for piano solo. Even a piece in which the orchestra has such a minor role as the Grande Polonaise Brillante Op. 22 is, to me, preferable in its original form.

Steven

Edit: Obviously, it's okay to prefer the music Chopin wrote for solo piano to the pieces written for piano plus other instruments! I'm sorry if I misunderstood. smile

Yes, that's what I meant, I just "feel" it more... 3hearts

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by -Frycek
Originally Posted by ChopinAddict
I agree. Chopin sounds the best for piano solo. He is THE piano master. Without him piano playing just wouldn't be what it is.

CA

I wonder what modern pianiasm would be like without both of its great 19th century figures, Chopin and Liszt. I wonder how prominent the piano would be in classical music today if neither of them had lived. Anyone care to speculate? Would there even be a Piano World?

They are both absolutely great, that must be while there are addicts to them... smile

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Whew... that means I won't have to beg to revise that blub..

Many thanks, Jeff. I took Latin for 4 years over 50 years ago. It has helped me with Spanish, Italian and English (of course). German, not so much. grin

Kathleen

Good grief! I must read my posts more carefully. Obviously, that word should be "blurb" not "blub." Although I must admit the latter sounds more like me than the former. crazy

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Welcome home, LisztAddict!

What a trip you have had! I wish I could place a wreath of roses around your neck, for you are a winner in our opinion. thumb

Did you take any pictures? When you can tear yourself away from the keyboard, can you share them with us?

My very best to you, heart
Kathleen

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Whew... that means I won't have to beg to revise that blub.

Kathleen

Add to those romantic languages, French. I can remember just one sentence in French, and I can only say it once a year. Then, of course, I have to say it to someone who understands French. It translates to: "This is the first time it has snowed this year." grin

Last edited by loveschopintoomuch; 09/24/09 09:45 AM.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Kathleen, my Polish is just barely ahead of your French! I am hoping that eventually the hundreds of words in my head will arrange themselves into some ability to actually SAY something to someone, beyond the most basic greetings. Of course that would mean remembering all the case endings, and that hasn't happened yet-- every time I try, my eyes cross and my brain shuts down. Must buckle down more.

Last weekend we had an International Festival in our neighborhood, and I went up to the Polish booth, where I was plied with tourist booklets, good quality ones that I think will prove useful next year. But nobody was interested in helping me with the language, not even the guy who thought he might like me to treat his back pain.

Steven, I figured that if Chopin had written any canons, you'd know about it. I was able to listen to that YouTube snippet once, but since then (last night) YouTube hasn't been willing to load at all for me. It seems like something is wrong at their site. Anyway, this bit of the canon reminded me a little of the first movement of the first sonata. I can't think of any canon sections of larger works, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something somewhere. I haven't been able to find out anything more about this piece.

Schumann was prescient about Chopin's music being banned by the authorities-- the Nazis attempted to stamp out all Polish music (you can see how well that worked out!), and if I'm not mistaken, playing Chopin was a capital offense during their occupation.

Elene

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Elene
Anyway, this bit of the canon reminded me a little of the first movement of the first sonata.

I thought of that, too! And then I realized that the Minuet of that selfsame sonata is an even better example of a canon.

I've been trying to think of other such writing in Chopin. For what it's worth, the lyrical subject of the Allegro de Concert is given a canon-like treatment in Kazimierz Wiłkomirski's outstanding and beautiful arrangement for piano and orchestra; the soloist introduces the melody, and the strings begin to repeat it one measure later.

Steven

J
J
In case you didn't see it, an interesting article on Chopin in Warsaw appeared in today's NY Times:

Chopins Poland

It appears, though, that Mr. Kimmelman does not know of the excellent new book by Marita Alban Juarez and Ewa Slawinska-Dahlig called Chopin's Poland: A Guidebook to Places Associated with the Composer (Warsaw, 2008). (Sorry for the lack of diacritics in the authors' names - haven't figured out how to do that here.) The book details a whole host of places that one can visit, including in Warsaw, that have associations with Chopin (churches and salons especially).

Some nice photos with Mr. Kimmelman's article, though.

Jeff

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Jeff, thanks for pointing us to the new Warsaw book. That should prove most useful to pilgrims next year.

As for canons: slightly off-topic, but I think this YouTube version of a Bach one is too excellent not to point out:

Crab Canon on a Moebius Strip

L
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
L
Thank you, Jeff. The article was interesting if not heartbreaking. I guess it proves "you can't go home again."

The "36 hour" tour article will be extremely helpful to those who plan to visit Poland next year. But, again, where is Chopin? I read somewhere in one of the articles that Poland was the first country the Nazis invaded but the last country they destroyed.

MaryRose: That Bach youtube segment was spellbinding. Did you create it? I can certainly appreciate Bach's music. So many voices saying something different. Very difficlt to play, at least for me. I guess I think on a linear basis, so I find Chopin's melodic line easier to follow, not easy, just easier.

Question: Did Maurice have rheumatism?

Thank you all,
Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"(Sorry for the lack of diacritics in the authors' names - haven't figured out how to do that here.)"

When I just have to, I use Word, then cut-and-paste it into the post. I rarely find it really necessary; more of my attention goes to keeping my foot out of my mouth.

Clef

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Being in attendance at last Sunday's Frederick Historical Concert, all of the devoted members of Chopin were very much in my thoughts as I prepared to listen to a program of Chopin works played by Robert Finley. He had selected the 1840 Erard for his performance.

http://frederickcollection.org/2009Sep20.html

Robert announced he had recently returned from Warsaw where he had played the same program he was about to perform.

When Robert mentioned the competition in Warsaw, I suddenly thought of LisztAddict and recalled him mentioning here that he was planning to attend a competition in Warsaw. Then with all the info provided I came across both Robert and LA's name on the competitions webpage and a few pictures!

During Sunday’s concert intermission I noticed Robert standing in the balcony of the Ashburnham Community church, where the concerts are held, checking on his video camera and suddenly all I could think of was: YOUTUBE!! This would be the first concert I’ve attended in the past few years where I could ever recall the guest performer recording his performance.

I forwarded a few pics to him sitting at the Erard after his performance and asked in my email if he had plans to share his recording of the Erard on YouTube. I didn’t receive a response but after a simple search, appears Robert is not a stranger to Youtube as I found several other performances he has shared.

[Linked Image]

I’d like to also add that Robert Finley is the founder of the Boston Piano Amateur Competition that started in 2001.

I am so delighted in finding a few recordings of Robert Finley’s 20thSept performance as part of the fall Frederick Historical Concert series on the 1840 Erard and being able to pass on the youtube links.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Oooh, thank you for sharing these with us, dear Terrytunes! I played the Mazurka one but it sounds strange on my laptop so I'm off to fire up the Viao.

Page 252 of 425 1 2 250 251 252 253 254 424 425

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission