2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TheSockPuppet:
Ken,

Are you new at this? Is the power going to your head? What is this extreme act all of a sudden over a relatively trivial non-existent rule?

As a SockPuppet myself I am highly offended by this anti-SockPuppet discrimination. I insist PW immediately write a SockPuppet Bill or Rights and start a SockPuppet anti-defamation league.

I’ll bet that every participant in this thread has registered themselves on PW more than once at one time. What exactly is the big crime? Most of the time people just forgot their password or did not realize they could change their name otherwise. Anything could be abused. A person could actually participate as more than one person at the same time, be a dealer or post while they were banned. But Ken said these people were not being mean suggesting they were doing anything else wrong.

You all need to lighten up. This is the internet. Nothing is real. Most people have made up names. There has been a concern that the piano world need to attract more people. One way to do that is develop a sense of humor and not take things so seriously.

In light of that, here is a joke for you all.

Q. What is the only thing lower on piano world than a sock puppet?

A. A Samick, Young Chang, Hailun piano dealer.

(I hope none of the PW moderators sell these. I do not know for sure.)
ajahns [aka TheSockPuppet],

Yes, for some odd unexplained reason a couple of your posts still show you as ajahns. I wonder what motivated you to change your screen name to TheSockPuppet. Some folks need to get attention any way that they can. Does that apply to you?

FWIW, I believe Pianomadam forced the hand of PW to apply an interpretation to a self-promotion rule that is certainly understandable, but had not been used before. Pianomadam's one-trick-pony agenda for the Steinway family of brands was unimaginative and boring. She had grated the nerves of several of the pious regulars here posting under her own avatar. When she got caught manipulating a sock, it inspired hundreds of retaliatory posts.

Pianomadam stated that she did not trash other brands. Although she constantly alluded to Steinway brand superiority, it is true that she did not trash other brands. She was also a model of polite language and composure even when being assailed for her litany of talking points.

My guess is that the outing of ThreeBees [Fake.....] gave the mods an opportunity to apply this new interpretation of the self-promotion rule without singling out Pianomadam. I believe that's the reason why Pianomadam was left twisting in the wind so long while her fate was being decided. When Fake / Threebees was researched and proven, the rule could be applied to more than one puppeteer.

Incidentally, a day after being banned, Fake was doing research on old Hailun threads according to the thread view page here. Perhaps banned members can still use the search function under their banned avatar. Whatever, I suspect Fake is reloading his pop gun for another run at Hailun with a new avatar. Maybe he'll call himself SockPuppet2.

You mentioned something about being mean. If you read one of Fake's last posts here on the recent trade-in thread, http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/25577/2.html#000034,

he made the following 'mean' comment to a member who had bought a Hailun piano.

The only thing that got "liquidated" is your checking account. Are you trying to kill the dealers around here with laughter? That's a new strategy. The markup on that piece of furniture was at least $2k. And you think you got a deal because he gave you $200 for your trade in. That's the oldest trick in the book.

Dealer tears have been streaming down the PW topic list. Are the good times gone forever? I guess not guys, look at this. This one bought a Helium out of piano dealer pity. The piano dealer good times are here again.

Promote this junior member to platinum.
Fake is one of several curious members here to take shots at Hailun pianos (as opposed to other lesser brands of pianos from China that are not factoring all that much into piano sales in the US). One might surmise that Hailun is considered a threat to some of those who sell against it, rather than being a singularly deficient piano from China.

You have ended with a tasteless and stupid joke about Hailun, Samick and Young Chang. What do you sell?

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks guys for the new sock puppet rules and enforcement.

I came under fire from a sock, I recognized the writing style as someone I knew and had the moderators quietly deal with it in a non public way. Some of you may remember that Three B's and I had a run in. Something was off about him and a number of you private messaged me when the Fake Larry fine showed up that he sounds suspiciously like Three Bs. Good detctive work guys! thumb

Glenn Treibitz

Hollywood Piano Co. - Est.1928
http://www.hollywoodpiano.com
http://www.facebook.com/HollywoodPiano

1800 MY-PIANO

Steingraeber,Grotrian,Mason&Hamlin,Petrof,Estonia,Steinberg,Schulze-Pollmann,Baldwin,
Ritmuller,Perzina,Pearl River,Hardman,Roland,Used Steinway
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
if I'm not mistaken, you can only change your name once.

I added a star to mine for a silly reason, and couldn't take it off.

apparently people have changed their names many times. Some threads just invite me to review the recent posts of a poster.. just to see if they are legit... and the names change alot when the person is phishing.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
I'm not a forum person mostly and alter would be the word i would have used so i didn't get what did you mean by a sock for some time so reading about zero tolerance towards socks and sock owners really made me think that OP had a good batch of LSD. : )

btw, ppm1994 and gyro are probably the same person. Did anyone realize that too?

Both music and dance
Are voices of the Way.
-Zenji Hakuin
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I feel like a fool in that I wanted to believe PianoMadam. I thought she was sincere in her apology, but I was wrong. I try to give people the benefit of the the doubt. I do agree with the new policy. Thanks to Frank et all!

RickG
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TheSockPuppet:
In light of that, here is a joke for you all.

Q. What is the only thing lower on piano world than a sock puppet?

A. A Samick, Young Chang, Hailun piano dealer.

(I hope none of the PW moderators sell these. I do not know for sure.)
[Linked Image]

Jeff Bauer | Keyboard Concepts

Yamaha | Schimmel | Bösendorfer | Knabe | Restored Steinway

My soundcloud page
I'm the one who got blasted by "Fake Larry" in the quote above. His comments were so over-the-top, I had to wonder if he is deranged.

Brad

Ah, Jeff, I had never seen that one. It's perfect, right down to the knowing smirk on the paperclip's 'face.' laugh

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally posted by apple*:
I added a star to mine for a silly reason, and couldn't take it off.
I always thought your star was rather distinguished...

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by David-G:
[b] I added a star to mine for a silly reason, and couldn't take it off.
I always thought your star was rather distinguished... [/b]
Me too.

WHAT???????
Yamaha S6, U5C, P120
http://michaelstith.com
oh thanks.. you can call me apple.

i had a sock puppet once for a couple weeks, I don't remember his name or password.. i can't even find it.

please assign me some penance.

While I wouldn't use a sock puppet on this site, there are sites (political) where I have used a sock puppet when an egregiously stupid poster says something that requires his stupidity to be mocked in a fashion that only a sock puppet will do, effectively. For example, when posting on a site where some college kid with a big vocabulary tried to BS everyone, I created a College Kid with a Big Vocab sock puppet, in order to mock him with all the big words I was making up as I mocked him.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
oh thanks.. you can call me apple.

i had a sock puppet once for a couple weeks, I don't remember his name or password.. i can't even find it.

please assign me some penance.
So, your sock puppet was a male. Too funny!!

I hope the management reports your penance publicly. laugh

Will Johnny Come Marching Home?
The fate of the modern wartime soldier
it would be so interesting if the data entered in our profile information could be sorted, so one could actually search by IP address. some of the dealers have been doing it for so long, they probably have 20 socks.

(one of the most entertaining was also the nastiest... stephen - boy was he funny.. very smart)

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
How effective is it to use IP addresses? Don't the majority connect to the Internets with dynamic IP addresses issued by their ISP?

Gary
it is extraordinarily tedious to search by address.. one can spot them tho.

Apple, was your sock puppet a good puppet or a bad puppet? smile

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Gary - I asked this question and Ken said that the router we use at home/work is the IP address that is tracked rather than the dynamic one on the computer itself.

My router and ISP link provides the facility for me to change the router IP address at will (not that I do - no need), so I am not sure how effective the tracking system is.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
Originally posted by Scherzophrenic:
Apple, was your sock puppet a good puppet or a bad puppet? smile
i don't know, it was just a character.. i was trying to develop a pedantic, snobby, personality .. just messin around.

W
W
As Ken said, "the router we use at home/work is the IP address" and it is quite effective by tracking it.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission