2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, 13 invisible), 1,860 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1272231 09/21/09 05:18 PM
B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Note: I try to disguise my identity in all my posts so I change genders, ages, locations, often so plz no accusations that I lie or am a troll. Thx.

Any conservatory piano teachers here who can explain to me why my request for a new piano teacher at the conservatory for a child who is a major talent has descended into a major trauma for all involved? The teacher feels slandered although I told everyone it was just a chemistry problem and maybe he worked my child a little too hard. I feel slandered bc this teacher has told the others on the faculty that I'm the parent from he'll which I am not. And my child is afraid to go back to the conservatory bc he knows his old piano teacher is very upset with him.

The main problem is one of just chemistry. The man is an excellent teacher and I feel very badly that my child never clicked with him. I tried to point out his good qualities but it's hard to get a 9 year old to appreciate things like professional reputation, access, dedication, etc. Plus the man is not too warm-and-fuzzy with young kids and my child kinda needs that.

Plus problems never got resolved when I talked to the teacher. He refused to take no for an answer, or he made me feel stupid for questioning anything he did or how he acted. I thought he didn't understand young children well -- for instance, he once spent 45 straight minutes on the fingering for just measure of music alone with an 8 year old child. I took piano lessons at age 8, and I would have broken down and cried if my teacher did that.

So are we finished at the conservatory merely bc we bruised an important teacher's ego? I didn't tell him in person that we wanted to change teachers bc I didn't want to listen to him try to talk me out of it and I had already made up my mind (plus my child was adamant about not continuing lessons with him so I knew I had to make a change). I feel horribly guilty (and he made sure that I did feel this way too!)

This really takes the joy out of making music, and I think that's why my child wants to quit music for a year or two (he associates it with trauma and angst because of what this teacher put us though once he heard our request).

Last edited by BusyMom; 09/21/09 05:44 PM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BusyMom,

Does your chameleon routine extend to having multiple identities at PW? If so, that is something that can lead to being banned from the forum. We value honest interchange and having multiple personalities is regarded as dishonest.

B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I can't be truthful about my personal details bc it can lead to my identification and that will not allow me to speak openly about my child's music education. there are not too many conservatories in the USA and not too many children who play at my child's level. So the chances of one of his conservatory teachers reading this and figuring out his/her identity is relatively high. I don't have multiple identities. Thanks for the warning though.

Last edited by BusyMom; 09/21/09 05:53 PM.
No one wants to know your personal details. All we ask is that you have only one identity here. If you have multiple identities that is explicitly prohibited.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by BusyMom
I can't be truthful about my personal details bc it can lead to my identification and that will not allow me to speak openly about my child's music education. there are not too many conservatories in the USA and not too many children who play at my child's level. So the chances of one of his conservatory teachers reading this and figuring out his/her identity is relatively high. I don't have multiple identities. Thanks for the warning though.

BM, while I can commiserate with your desire to remain anonymous, I would think that the particulars of your situation are so rather narrow that even with the information you've given, that if your kids teacher or someone else who is knowledgeable about the situation, was here on this forum, that they'd be able to suss out who you are. Certainly providing details such as:

"for instance, he once spent 45 straight minutes on the fingering for just measure of music alone with an 8 year old child."

would likely make it obvious if the teacher was reading this site, who you are.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Just out of curiosity, what IS your child's level?

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
?? I don't know the exact level.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
How then can you say not many children play at your child's level if you don't know what it is? What do you have to compare it to?

M.M., Piano
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Well, if you do live in a major US city, there are probably many well-qualified piano teachers to teach your child. Keep looking.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I think you need to take a less "hands on" role in your child's piano lessons.

B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by boo1234
I think you need to take a less "hands on" role in your child's piano lessons.

OMG you have no idea how much I want to get out of this music business and let my child handle it himself but he's too young to be running around the city on his own and I really am preparing him for a professional career in music. I just told my son now ... "I'm dropping you off at the front door and don't expect me to come inside and see these people!" It will kill me to go to the recitals and concerts but my child would be hurt if I did not show up. Before this, I loved this school and I was well regarded as a parent.

I have learned one valuable lesson from this and I will give this advice to all music parents: when you know you want to change teachers, say the problem is "just chemistry" and do not give your honest reasons! And when you audition for a new teacher also say "just chemistry" and do not tell the piano dept your real reasons either bc hatever you say will be twisted to make you look like the parent from he11.

Last edited by BusyMom; 09/21/09 10:04 PM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
What kinds of things is he playing?

M.M., Piano
Note: I try to disguise my identity in all my posts so I change genders, ages, locations, often so plz no accusations that I lie or am a troll. Thx.

Any conservatory piano teachers here who can explain to me why my request for a new piano teacher at the conservatory for a child who is a major talent has descended into a major trauma for all involved? The teacher feels slandered although I told everyone it was just a chemistry problem and maybe he worked my child a little too hard. I feel slandered bc this teacher has told the others on the faculty that I'm the parent from he'll which I am not. And my child is afraid to go back to the conservatory bc he knows his old piano teacher is very upset with him.

The main problem is one of just chemistry. The man is an excellent teacher and I feel very badly that my child never clicked with him. I tried to point out his good qualities but it's hard to get a 9 year old to appreciate things like professional reputation, access, dedication, etc. Plus the man is not too warm-and-fuzzy with young kids and my child kinda needs that.

Plus problems never got resolved when I talked to the teacher. He refused to take no for an answer, or he made me feel stupid for questioning anything he did or how he acted. I thought he didn't understand young children well -- for instance, he once spent 45 straight minutes on the fingering for just measure of music alone with an 8 year old child. I took piano lessons at age 8, and I would have broken down and cried if my teacher did that.

So are we finished at the conservatory merely bc we bruised an important teacher's ego? I didn't tell him in person that we wanted to change teachers bc I didn't want to listen to him try to talk me out of it and I had already made up my mind (plus my child was adamant about not continuing lessons with him so I knew I had to make a change). I feel horribly guilty (and he made sure that I did feel this way too!)

This really takes the joy out of making music, and I think that's why my child wants to quit music for a year or two (he associates it with trauma and angst because of what this teacher put us though once he heard our request).

Is the child upset because the teacher spent 45 minutes on a passage or the parent upset? I notice that you said you couldn’t handle it at eight. I also noticed that you called the child a “major talent”.

I wasn’t surprised that the teacher spent that amount of time perfecting some difficult measures to play at the level that you suggested your child plays.

Do you think it would be different with another conservatory instructor? I don’t think children get special attention. in these schools. Good or bad I think a school expects a certain "product". I think more is expected. I don't think they get special treatment. If you feel the environment is bad for your child, remember they are a child first and only once, then maybe find a teacher from a music association or University.

Also, maybe the child is in a period where he or she doesn’t enjoy it quite as much or sometimes kids have bad days or weeks. They get sick of routine just like adults. It can be difficult for a teacher when a child goes through that.

Best wishes. Regardless. the resolution will be difficult.

M
M
Having a good communication with parents is extremely important to me being able to do my job well. Perhaps having your son with this teacher with whom you didn't along was a bad idea from the start. But please, do not disregard communicating with your son's new teacher, whoever it may be as a result of this. Not everyone is like that.

Interview your son's next teacher before signing up. Find someone who has the same goals as you do for your son. Since your son is upset about going back to the conservatory (and there are many in the US, btw), then look for a private independent teacher. Not every child flourishes in a high-stress and competitive environment that sometimes happens at these schools. I know it would have crushed me.

Go to www.mtna.org or www.getlessonsnow.com or some other online places and get a list of names. Then start calling, asking questions, and when you find some good possibilities, see if they will meet with you and your son in person first.

There's a perfect teacher out there for your son. Don't stop looking until you find them. smile

Last edited by Morodiene; 09/21/09 09:03 PM.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Yes, one of the problems was that this teacher was too busy to take the time to explain things well to me. When I interviewed new teachers, I learned some of the reasons for the annoying things he did and I learned that some of my child's complaints were not valid. Remember to stop the lesson early and take the time to communicate well to avoid these problems.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Is your child the one who is complaining about the teacher or is it you watching what is going on and thinking it is too much or not right?

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Exactly what did you hope to accomplish here by your posting?

I can't imagine that your hysterics here are helpful to your child who as you say just 9 years old. When you said: "My child was adamant about not continuing lessons with him", could it be
your child was comfortable with his teacher and is now greatly embarrassed for his teacher to have been caught up in an argument involving his mother.

If your child hasn't expressed interest in changing teachers before your altercation with the teacher there is no reason to act upon it. If progress was being made and there was mutual respect between them they needed to keep that situation. If your child has not complained to you about anything occuring in the lesson you are in danger of destroying his self confidence and his future work.

No conservatory career has ever been helped by a parent making demands and accusation against a teacher.

Are you paying full tuition or is he a scholarship student?

I wonder if you have an idea of the conflicts you will create for your son if you don't learn how to talk to people when you need their assistance in creating a new scenario for your son?

This is serious stuff and when you say "trauma" and "angst" the only person whom I see showing those kinds of emotions to us is, unfortunately, you.

Your child and his talent is going to be undermined severely by things such as you've told us. I predict that your child will continue to be the middleman of a situation he has no control over. That alone would make him want to quit.

Actually I feel a little heartbroken at hearing this story.

It's a story where no body wins.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
BusyMom, I don't know anything about conservatory politics. But I *am* struck, and concerned by, the juxtaposition of these two statements of yours:

and

I really am preparing him for a professional career in music.

Two things are noteworthy here: One, you and your son do not appear to be in agreement regarding his career goals. (I won't even get into the issue of how seriously one can talk of career goals in a child of 8. Or 9.) Two, your phrasing in the second quote is curious: "I am preparing him for a career in music," rather than, say, "He tells me he wants a career in music" or "He is preparing for a career in music."

Just sayin'.

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
As others have said, good communication on all sides, is essential, and I agree with Betty, that this seems to be a situation where nobody wins.

What really concerned me, however, was your statement:

"I just told my son now ... "I'm dropping you off at the front door and don't expect me to come inside and see these people!" It will kill me to go to the recitals and concerts but my child would be hurt if I did not show up."

This seems to be putting enormous pressure on a young child to be a go-between in a situation not of their making.
I would not be at all suprised if your child wanted to quit under these circumstances.

Hopefully, there is still time to resolve the problem, before it gets worse.

Rob
B
BusyMom Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Well that's why I plan to drop him off at the front door and not even get involved with his teachers anymore! I will tell them to write things down for him and to make things real clear for him and to call me and leave messages about anything real important like "he has a recital on this date" but don't expect me to do more than that. This way I figure I'll have no more conflicts with any teachers.

Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
Exactly what did you hope to accomplish here by your posting?

I can't imagine that your hysterics here are helpful to your child who as you say just 9 years old. When you said: "My child was adamant about not continuing lessons with him", could it be
your child was comfortable with his teacher and is now greatly embarrassed for his teacher to have been caught up in an argument involving his mother.

If your child hasn't expressed interest in changing teachers before your altercation with the teacher there is no reason to act upon it. If progress was being made and there was mutual respect between them they needed to keep that situation. If your child has not complained to you about anything occuring in the lesson you are in danger of destroying his self confidence and his future work.

No conservatory career has ever been helped by a parent making demands and accusation against a teacher.

Are you paying full tuition or is he a scholarship student?

I wonder if you have an idea of the conflicts you will create for your son if you don't learn how to talk to people when you need their assistance in creating a new scenario for your son?

This is serious stuff and when you say "trauma" and "angst" the only person whom I see showing those kinds of emotions to us is, unfortunately, you.

Your child and his talent is going to be undermined severely by things such as you've told us. I predict that your child will continue to be the middleman of a situation he has no control over. That alone would make him want to quit.

Actually I feel a little heartbroken at hearing this story.

It's a story where no body wins.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission