2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
39 members (Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 11 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Snarky, indeed!

Originally Posted by cardguy

... look to the animal world, which is just another way of looking at ourselves.

Just have a look at sotto voce's photo.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Many hard core scientists believe in God's existence for example and many theologians have written extensively about the compatibility of faith and science, without having to resort to belittling evolutionary science. (including Catholics, Presbyterians, Jewish and others .. Don't know where Anglicans stand on this).

The Anglicans (essentially equivalent to US Episcopals with some important exceptions) accept compatibility of faith and science, and fully respect evolutionary science. Aside from internal squabbles over ordaining women and gay bishops (which few outside of the Church could care less about), most of the differences within the Anglican Church relate to (and I'm oversimplifying) how close or far from Rome any given church is. Canterbury has no set guide lines, and some Anglican churches are very 'low', i.e grape juice, whilst others -in Brighton or Cornwall for example- are almost indistinguishable from an RC church.

Jason
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
Originally Posted by argerichfan
[...] Evolutionary principles in such an ignorant part of the world must be a hard sell indeed.

[...]

Now Jason, I admire your posts in general, but that's unnecessarily insulting. I expect better of an intelligent chap like you. wink

You did?

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sotto voce
[...] Evolutionary principles in such an ignorant part of the world must be a hard sell indeed.

[...]

Now Jason, I admire your posts in general, but that's unnecessarily insulting. I expect better of an intelligent chap like you. wink

H., you and I agree most of the time, too, yet in this case, if there was any insult there I think it was toward ignorance and ignorant people rather than toward the U.S. generally. There are always beacons of knowledge as well as bastions of backwardness in most any community, but it's inescapable the prevalence of either one does not have equal geographic distribution.

I heard on the news just yesterday that 25% of high school students in a certain state that I won't name did not know who the first American president was. For years I've heard the canard about the number of kids who thought that Chernobyl is Cher's full name, and I'm coming to suspect that it has more than anectodal basis. smile

Steven

Steven,

I certainly hope that you are correct and that Jason meant it that way, but I really wasn't sure at the time. And I must agree that those are sobering statistics. I saw it too. frown As to Chernobyl, you gotta be kidding. shocked I'm guessing you aren't. smile

H, like Steven said, I wasn't insulting the US, just questioning the ignorance of a certain set of people, generally found in the Bible Belt. Faith and Science should coexist, not be mutually exclusive. I totally fail to understand those who, against overwhelming scientific evidence, still think the Earth was created only 10,000 years ago, etc, etc. It's all rather beyond me, and OT anyway!

Jason
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Damon

[...]

You did?

Thanks, Damon.

Jason
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sotto voce

[...]

H., you and I agree most of the time, too, yet in this case, if there was any insult there I think it was toward ignorance and ignorant people rather than toward the U.S. generally. There are always beacons of knowledge as well as bastions of backwardness in most any community, but it's inescapable the prevalence of either one does not have equal geographic distribution.

I heard on the news just yesterday that 25% of high school students in a certain state that I won't name did not know who the first American president was. For years I've heard the canard about the number of kids who thought that Chernobyl is Cher's full name, and I'm coming to suspect that it has more than anectodal basis. smile

Steven

Steven,

I certainly hope that you are correct and that Jason meant it that way, but I really wasn't sure at the time. And I must agree that those are sobering statistics. I saw it too. frown As to Chernobyl, you gotta be kidding. shocked I'm guessing you aren't. smile

H, like Steven said, I wasn't insulting the US, just questioning the ignorance of a certain set of people, generally found in the Bible Belt. Faith and Science should coexist, not be mutually exclusive. I totally fail to understand those who, against overwhelming scientific evidence, still think the Earth was created only 10,000 years ago, etc, etc. It's all rather beyond me, and OT anyway!

It's all good then. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A

Many thanks my good mate, Horowitzian, though Damon seems to have a problem with me. I suspect it is more political -ultra liberal I am grin - than musical.

I always enjoy Damon's posts. Whatever his experience and age, I don't feel that my musical knowledge is in any way inferior.

Jason
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
smile

grin

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D

Many thanks my good mate, Horowitzian, though Damon seems to have a problem with me. I suspect it is more political -ultra liberal I am grin - than musical.

I always enjoy Damon's posts. Whatever his experience and age, I don't feel that my musical knowledge is in any way inferior.

Thanks, I enjoy yours too, when they are musical. I live in the bible belt and don't know anyone who thinks the world is only 10,000 years old, or flat. Darwin is another matter. As you guessed, my politics are 135 degrees from yours.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Damon

Thanks, I enjoy yours too, when they are musical. I live in the bible belt and don't know anyone who thinks the world is only 10,000 years old, or flat. Darwin is another matter. As you guessed, my politics are 135 degrees from yours.

Okay Damon, no problem. Thanks for your post, and cheers...

So musically we will still interact... and you might PM me sometime. Would be interested to know more about your background.

Jason
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Nobody has to date been able to (a) devise a musical IQ test that taps into aptitude (independent of learned performance) and (b) show that these aptitude scores predict musical expertise (controlling for practice), the way that IQ tests have been developed and shown to predict intellectual outcomes.

I will confess to feeling sympathetic to the logical argument that there should be some normally distributed underlying individual difference aptitude for music analogous to the 'g' of general intelligence. But we don't have the data at the current time to support it... as opposed to the data in favor of the importance of deliberate practice, of which there is a huge amount.

A few thoughts here (mainly for Monica, I think):
[1]You appear to be assuming that performance ability is where it's all at. There is much more to being a musician than technical facility. It's not just an athletic skill but an artistic one. The fact that deliberate and sustained practice leads to technical facility shouldn't surprise anyone. What I'm wondering is about that extra which goes to make an outstanding musician (who may in fact not even be able to play an instrument well but still may have considerable ability in areas such as composition).
[2]Are there really no tests of musical aptitude which don't rely on learned performance? Are there no such tests of pitch discrimination, rhythmic perception, musical memory etc? Or are you just saying that there are no tests like these which prove a correlation between such abilities and achievement as a musician?
[3]I wonder how the "hard work only" camp would explain the musical savant? And if in this case it can be explained in terms of some inbuilt gift, then why not in anyone else?

These are rather random questions, but I thought we were going too far down the technical ability=musical ability path.

Du holde Kunst...
L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by currawong

[3]I wonder how the "hard work only" camp would explain the musical savant? And if in this case it can be explained in terms of some inbuilt gift, then why not in anyone else?

I still don't see where the "hard work only camp" is. I haven't seen anyone defending this idea.

Music is like love, it is not a private club for a select few, it is for everybody. Every human being has this capacity.

There are countless reasons, countless factors that can keep a person from developing their potential, in love as in music, starting from the first days of their life. The famous 10000 hours of practice are not what will unbind a frustrated potential. It is a much more profound human experience, that might dure 5 minutes.

A case of adultery: the mistress says, he's an Adonis, a wild animal, his Apollo-like body is insatiable. And the wife's jaw drops with disbelief, it isn't her poor slob of a TV watching, lawn cutting husband, with whom she's been bored for years. 10000 hours in the matrimonial bed together would never have brought to life this big, this enormous, this gigantic ... how can we say ... potential.

Anyone remember Babbit?

The genious gene, or the virtuoso gene, will never be found, or the gene of aptitude for the violin instead of the piano, because, like the lover gene, they simply don't exist. Genetics is a new field; the study of the brain as well. All of the studies that orient towards a precise identification of behavior in the genetic pool will be laughable in a few years.

Trying to understand human behavior as individual behavior, viewing a human being as an individual alone in the universe, with a certain dose of potential, is absurd. Human beings are social animals. Playing music is a social activity, a kind of communication, a confirmation of the essentially social existence of the human individual.

A music teacher only wants to work with kids who are ready. OK. An advanced teacher only wants to work with students who are ready to advance rapidly. Ok as well. It is not their problem to unlock the potential of "every Tom, Dick and Harry".

But that doesn't mean that this potential doesn't exist.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by currawong

What I'm wondering is about that extra which goes to make an outstanding musician

That works in the opposite sense as well.

Outstanding musicians can become mediocre. It is a frequent occurence.

Last edited by landorrano; 09/20/09 04:42 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by landorrano
I still don't see where the "hard work only camp" is. I haven't seen anyone defending this idea.
Philip Lu did, back a page or two. And this quote from Monica seemed to suggest her leaning that way:
Originally Posted by Monica
If 'musical talent' independent of practice exists, we ought to be able to measure it. The Ericsson article talked about efforts to come up with motor coordination and hand independence measures that ought to predict piano ability, but those measures didn't work.

I will confess to feeling sympathetic to the logical argument that there should be some normally distributed underlying individual difference aptitude for music analogous to the 'g' of general intelligence. But we don't have the data at the current time to support it... as opposed to the data in favor of the importance of deliberate practice, of which there is a huge amount.

Du holde Kunst...
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
And Monica also wrote:
"Innate talent" (if it even exists) plays only a negligible role (if it plays a role at all).

W
W
A very good thread that I've chimed in late to, just to say that Monica K writes fantastic posts, sensibly thought out, logically argued and backed up with data and references. Puts most of the rest of us to shame, and I thoroughly agree with her.
Anyone can learn to read Chinese (just ask one of the 1 billion or so literate chinese), speak French, drive a car, fly a plane, play golf and play the piano.
Differences will be found (I guess in a gaussian distrubution pattern) in the rate of progress in piano playing ,and the amount of effort that an individual has to expend to overcome difficulties.
I assume - but have no data to support this- that the final proficiency beyond which any individual is capable of reaching given all other equal factors (ie that put down to innate talent) is also in a gaussian distribution pattern.
The original poster asks "how far can a late starter get?". I take this to be where is the peak of the Gaussian curve descibed above and I suspect a realistic goal for any pianist is beyond grade 8 ABRSM provided they have suitable environmental circumstances such as lack of physical disability, motivation, time to practice, good teacher and of course a reasonable piano to practice on.
Not sure where God, Darwinism, Protestantism and the innate stupidity of Americans fits into this - but any other calls apart form "Beyond grade 8 ABRSM"?

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Wombat66
A very good thread that I've chimed in late to, just to say that Monica K writes fantastic posts, sensibly thought out, logically argued and backed up with data and references. Puts most of the rest of us to shame, and I thoroughly agree with her.

So, Wombat, you genuinely believe
"Innate talent" (if it even exists) plays only a negligible role (if it plays a role at all).

???

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianovirus
Originally Posted by RonaldSteinway
I agree everthing is possible. But using Thomas Yu as your example may not be a good idea. Thomas Yu or Christopher Shih is a superman. These two are not only smart at their regular school, but also very good in piano. They are basically not a NORMAL human being.

RS, I don't think it's ever advisable to state certain people are "supermen", "not a NORMAL human being" etc - neither in piano nor any other area of human life. The reason is that this excuse is leading oneself immediately to accept mediocrity and not to strive for realizing one's full potential. Thus, this attitude is just building up a mental barrier for yourself without helping you in any way.

Of course, there's a difference between thinking that you may reach a certain goal, as opposed to thinking that you definitely will. The latter is a sure way to disappointment and frustration, whereas the former is a positive way of thinking which does not involve any self-imposed barriers.

Just my personal opinion, of course smile

What are you smoking today that made you feel so good? Just curious...

Last edited by RonaldSteinway; 09/20/09 09:03 AM.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Anyone can learn to read Chinese (just ask one of the 1 billion or so literate chinese), speak French, drive a car, fly a plane, play golf and play the piano.

So, of course, every one of us is a potential Confucious, Voltaire, Dale Earnhart, Claire Chennault, Tiger Woods or Lang Lang?

Somehow I doubt it.

Proclaiming talent doesn't exist is like saying bears don't exist. If you haven't seen one it just means you haven't been in the woods long enough.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S

Perhaps Monica has an innate talent for cogent verbal self-expression.

I reckon that precious few of those one billion or so people had a different native language and learned Chinese in adulthood. The fact remains that even if every adult could learn any of those tasks, they can't learn to do them equally well even with comparable background, motivation and amount of practice.

Not sure where God, Darwinism, Protestantism and the innate stupidity of Americans fits into this ....

No one has postulated anything about "the innate stupidity of Americans" until now, so perhaps you can elucidate us.

Steven

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission