2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
M
I have several adult students who would like to play stuff like Yiruma's River Flows in You http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhN7SG-H-3k or Yanni, etc. I have found Jeanine Yeager's Fresh Impressions published by Kjos that have that kind of sound but are appropriate for the beginner student. I'd like to expand my library with this sort of music, though, since it seems to be in high demand.

Does anyone else have suggestions for music that sounds new agey and modern for a beginner, but something that sounds mature?

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
Some of David Nevue's music might be simple enough..."Solitude" is his easiest, I believe. You can hear his music at his website and order sheet music from there, too: http://www.freesheetmusicguide.com/original.htm

Or check out Carol Klose or even Dennis Alexander I think has some music like that.

This website has a listing of contemporary composers and artists and is kind of interesting...you might find something here: http://freesolopiano.com/solo-pianist-site-directory.html

Good luck!

Jessica S.
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks Jessica. I think that might be a bit advanced for some of my students (they are in the middle of Book 1 of Hal Leonard's Adult Method), but I do have one that would be able to play the Nevue piece. The key of the piece and the chords might present some problems.

I didn't know Alexander wrote for beginners, and I forgot about Carol Klose. I'll check those out.

That website is a great resource! Thanks for sharing that.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
What about Kevin Costley? His Romantic Portraits and More Romantic Portraits are really nice, but probably about early intermediate level. Enya's cd folios have some lovely piano solos too.

Music School Owner
Early Childhood Music Teacher/Group Piano Teacher/Private Piano Teacher
Member of MTAC and Guild
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
You might like to Google, Hikari (kingdom Hearts), 'When the love falls', Yann Tierson, Utada Hikaru 'First love', 'Hokage's Funeral,
'To Zanarkand', 'Winter Sonata', Yiruma's 'Kiss the Rain.

Rob

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Those are probably going to be too hard, Rob, if "Solitude" is too hard. Morodiene, if you scroll down the sheet music page on Nevue's web site, you'll find a listing of his pieces ranked by difficulty. (He has a panel of musicians, plus adult beginners [I'm one of them smile ] rank each selection on a 5-point scale.) Some other very easy pieces of his you might want to look at is "Wonderland" and "Emerald Valley," and he does a new agey arrangement of "Amazing Grace" that's very nice and easy.

Martha Mier has done some 'romantic impressions' collections that have a decided new age flair. I've got one of her early intermediate sheet music books; I don't know if she has a similar collection for beginners, but if so, that might be a place to look.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've got some pretty easy sheet music at http://solosheets.blogspot.com

I wrote it myself and it's very easy and fun to play!

M
OP Offline
M
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Those are probably going to be too hard, Rob, if "Solitude" is too hard. Morodiene, if you scroll down the sheet music page on Nevue's web site, you'll find a listing of his pieces ranked by difficulty. (He has a panel of musicians, plus adult beginners [I'm one of them smile ] rank each selection on a 5-point scale.) Some other very easy pieces of his you might want to look at is "Wonderland" and "Emerald Valley," and he does a new agey arrangement of "Amazing Grace" that's very nice and easy.

Martha Mier has done some 'romantic impressions' collections that have a decided new age flair. I've got one of her early intermediate sheet music books; I don't know if she has a similar collection for beginners, but if so, that might be a place to look.

Right. These students are BEGINNERS, meaning they just started. Hands together stuff is very limited, and they don't know chords. If they like a piece, I'm sure a bit of a challenge wouldn't be too hard for them, and they have until February to get it ready for a recital. But more than one flat or sharp, working outside 5-finger positions, etc. are just too much. Simple LH accompaniments. That kind of thing.

I appreciate all the music, though, and I can certainly keep it in mind for when they are ready for that stuff!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
New Age and "beginner" don't quite match up. The genre implies a certain sound that isn't really possible using only one accidental and 5-finger patterns.

That being said, take a look at some of Nancy Telfer's work. She's published by Frederick Harris and there's a collection "The Sun and the Moon" that might have some things that fit. And in general, I'd say looking at music by Canadian composers might prove fruitful - due to the RCM syllabus repertoire lists, the new music coming out of Canada these days is a lot better than what we get here in the US. Most new early-level music in the US is pretty bland except for some of the pop/jazz inspired stuff. For impressionistic music (which I think sounds more New-Agey), the Canadians are far better.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
How about some of Robert Vandall's pieces - Celebrated Piano Solos Book 1 and his other books in similar series (Virtuosic Piano Solos, Jazzy Piano Solos, etc.)? The first books might be about right. He also has some duet books. His Preludes would be ideal for a new age sound, but they are intermediate and up.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I know this isn't doable for the total beginner, but it's the easiest collection of pieces that still sound like the original popular New Age recordings. Narada Easy New Age Piano Sampler I'm not sure how it's possible to have a New Age composition using 5 finger positions only and no chords since the arpeggios contribute a lot to the New Age sound, IMO.

Eweiss has a lot of fun-looking sheet music at his site. You should probably try those out first.

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I have just a moment before a lesson so here is a quick list off the top of my head. You might put these into the mix as your adults progress.

Paul Sheltel:
Wrote a song called Etudes and one called Psalm and others in a book that sound new age-y. I will look up the book if you are interested. I'd say they are both late elementary - early intermediate, but repetition of patterns with movable position makes Etudes enchanting to play, and the Psalms one I believe is a fixed position of A minor.

Noona:
Also, in one of the Noona method books there is a great piece called "Circles of Infinity". It's Early Intermediate and absolutely lovely.

Sakura:
I have a free copy of a nice arranged that while not "new age" is just spectacular for sound and drifting sound it brings the imagination to the oriental instruments, the blossom of cherry trees, and unhurried motion, very calming.

Betty

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
I should have added "Lyric Sketches" by Walter Finlayson to the list.

It may be out of print. My last copies were very hard to get. But....this is an exceptional book for moods and nuances. Each piece is less than a page long....each is complete with some poetry or story line to it. They are so musical and perfect. This book is Intermediate and Late Intermediate. The student sound like an artist playing these pieces. Beyond imagination!

Betty

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Apologies Morodiene.

I should have read the topic more carefully blush

Some great suggestion from others though. I shall be looking into some of them myself.

Rob

Rob
M
OP Offline
M
Odd, my latest post disappeared. Anyways, thanks everyone for the suggestions. If they're a bit too advanced, it might be a goal to work towards in the near future. smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission