2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
frogdog Offline OP
OP Offline
F
There's something I don't understand. I've read different and conflicting information on the value of a piano after 10 years. 1) I read that the value after 10 years is roughly 60% of the new price. 2) I read that a piano can be resold at 10 years for just about the new price. So which is it?

If a piano has a life of 30-40 years--before major work is required, then wouldn't it make sense to buy a 10 year old piano for 60% of its new price and get, for example, a 40K piano for 24K that still has a 20 to 30 year life span? Or in my case buy a 25K piano for, say, 15K?

Thanks, Cynthia in Calgary

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile, I caught heck for.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren, 1891-1974
P
P
Originally Posted by frogdog
There's something I don't understand. I've read different and conflicting information on the value of a piano after 10 years. 1) I read that the value after 10 years is roughly 60% of the new price. 2) I read that a piano can be resold at 10 years for just about the new price. So which is it?

The magic of generalized price inflation. If you bought a high end brand of piano ten years ago for $X, then it's quite possible that if you sell it privately today and are very patient you might get $X or very nearly that much for it. This is because a new copy of the same piano will cost $X+10 years worth of inflation, which is probably considerably more than $X. This doesn't make the piano an investment on the level of, say, high quality corporate bonds. But considering all the other junk you can buy and have it become immediately worthless the day you open the box, it's not half bad.

If a piano has a life of 30-40 years--before major work is required, then wouldn't it make sense to buy a 10 year old piano for 60% of its new price and get, for example, a 40K piano for 24K that still has a 20 to 30 year life span? Or in my case buy a 25K piano for, say, 15K?

It certainly does, as long as you're mindful that your savings are because you're giving up 10 years of the piano's life. For many people it's a completely sensible tradeoff.

F
frogdog Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you. When a piano needs major work at the end of its 30-40 year life, what does it generally need, and what would it cost? I understand it may be different for each piano, but give me an idea in general terms. If you pay X for a new piano, a piano of quality 7 out of 10, and assuming the sound board is fine and the exterior is fine, and the piano was only played for a couple of hours after church on Sunday, what will it cost to get it back to 7 out of 10? thank you

Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile, I caught heck for.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren, 1891-1974
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
In my mind there's different factors at play here.

The basic fact is that a piano costing 15k will have a different depreciation rate than a piano costing 60k this, from the very beginning - it's mere mathematics.

Depreciation from original price logically follows a different incremental scale, again this is basically mathematics [a bit as stock market works...]

Now it becomes more 'interesting' when the 15 k pianos is actually bought for 25% less ["undervalued" merchandise] and the 60k piano for also 25% less [ incrementally "more" undervalued merchandise] - the ideal situation for savy investors. [stocks anybody?]

Problem is that for many the industry has 'floating' prices and nobody seemes to ever fully understand how much a particular piano is supposed to cost in the first place.

Including all too often dealers themselves........ frown
[hey, we strictly go by 'looks'!!] help whome

Next consider the availability [or *not] of identical pianos on the market available *used*, being often the greatest competitor to their new counterparts.

In this regard the massproducers of this world in particualar will have to increasingly keep jumping over their own shadow - something we have been getting the taste of things by now for some time.....

Let's also not forget that some makers have by now damn near exhausted their realistic potential for future price appreciation [it didn't seem to work for Schimmel...] while certain others, especially the strong *climbers* may *not* - or at least not to the same extent.

IMHO only those with upward mobility will stand a greater chance to hold their price over time showing again a different [lesser] rate of depreciation than certain others.

Perfomance and success in the marke will IMHO depend on continually improved quality resulting by continually postive market reports and with it,increased market penetration and recognition of such product.

Last not least - consistent and steady recognition and upgrading by King Larry Fine in his bi-annual reports.

Anybody thinking the man has no power/influence on the market?

Think again....

Now the only question in my mind left is this:

What was first: the "chicken" or the "egg"??

Norbert wink

Last edited by Norbert; 09/11/09 01:42 AM.

Z
Z
The problem is supply. Its like with cars. A 1 year old car can depreciate by almost 20%, so you'd have to be crazy to buy a new car thats just 1 year newer for that much more right? But the fact is nobody buys a car and sells it 1 year later unless theres something wrong with it.

So theoretically the price of a 10 year old piano will be a much better deal, but the supply of good ones is small.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

Hi:

You raise a good question.
Piano depreciation has, in my experience, been greatest in the last 10 years or so. Pianos bought 10 years ago for 5 - 6,000 are not selling at $1500 today. The exception for this level of depreciation would be Yamaha, Steinway and a few others. Just this week someone called with a 1999 Baldwin console they bought new for $7200. They will be lucky to get $1800 for it and maybe only $1200 or so. The reasons that I see is the decrease in piano prices at the low end. A new entry level piano today costs a dealer less than one 20 years ago (as someone with a 20 year old Young Chang found out yesterday.) There is also the internet factor. It's so easy and free to advertise a used piano these days. Before, you had to put an expensive ad in the paper and answer the phone to many people. Now, a free ad on Craigslist with pictures and e-mail makes it easy. The only way a piano can hold value is if new pianos increase a lot and the supply of used pianos decreases. This is certainly not happening now, but in 10 years, who's to know what will be?

Steve

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Our research demonstrated that new piano values take a dip in value, below the purchase price, for the first five or six years. By year six or seven the value of it used should come back to about what you paid for it. In years 10-20 it should sell for a little more than you paid for it.

Here are the caveats:
1. You paid a fair price originally.
2. You bought a recognized name brand and popular model.
3. You are selling to a private party and not to a dealer.
4. Your piano has been well maintained with no damage.
5. The economy does not have a complete meltdown.

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission