2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, 11 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
[quote=Hugh Sung
Ustream.tv actually has an option to apply a password to the broadcast for private viewing. [/quote]

Apologies. I stand corrected blush

I only had a quick look, and wrongly got that impression.

I am still looking forward to the day when Skype offers video conferencing. They advertise it, but then say it is not yet available.
Apart from that, I find Skype to be most reliable.

Slightly off topic, but I am interested, Hugh, in how you use multiple cameras?
I use two analog cameras with Skype, using a video switch box to flip between the two.
A more elegant solution, would be great.

Last edited by R0B; 09/11/09 09:50 AM.

Rob
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I've only read part of this thread.

Is the main idea of the series to enable beginning students to be able to play a much more advanced and beautiful work then they would normally be able to do so they will become inspired and love to play/practice the piano? Or is this meant to be a method for learning every new piece? Or is the idea to have a video of measure by measure "pre instructions" so they can deal with a piece that they normally would find too difficult?

Or something else??

Thanks.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 09/11/09 10:03 AM.
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Hi, pianoloverus -

There's a discussion in the teachers forum in which much of this is addressed that you might find interesting:

Hugh Sung's Claire de Lune

It's really helpful to read the whole thread, because the comments from the people following along will shed some light on what the videos are addressing for them - I think there's been some of all of the above here. Hugh also responds with his thoughts on what he could offer differently. You might have some of your questions addressed before starting to have them duplicated here.

It might turn out it's not for you, but the other participants have some interesting insights. It might turn out that something similar might work for you, but not this particular set of videos. Dive in -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
Woody-
I am no tech person either, but it took me one morning and a bit of the afternoon to figure out how to quickly make a video with what I already had which was web cam that came with my Toshiba laptop computer. You might find this thread helpful.

https://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...20video%20for%20YouTube.html#Post1263301

Cheers!

Cathy,
Thanks for posting the link to the teachers' thread thumb. I've been busy watching AB thread, didn't know about it. Wow I just went there and started reading, it is very interesting. Good to see that other teachers adimire what Hugh has done. I agree that Hugh's teaching method is very unique and effective, not just about computer technology, but something like the Bell he used to demonstrate how you should hit the piano key made a deep impression on me. Keyboardklutz mentions it too in this teachers' thread.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just in case - Bump

[Linked Image]
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Woody-Woodruff
Just in case - Bump

Instead of bump may I suggest...bumble bee, buzing, buzing... laugh

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mark...
Just in case - Bump

Instead of bump may I suggest...bumble bee, buzing, buzing... laugh

Ew! Great Big Dog Fur - Again! LOL!!

Originally Posted by Hugh Sung

Ew! Great Big Dog Fur - Again! LOL!!
That is smart.

OP Offline
Lesson #28, Measure 20

This is a relatively easy measure. We see how "reminder" flats are used even when technically not necessary. I show two different pedal options. We go back to measure 19 and go over the differing rhythms, moving between duples ("buzzing") and triplets ("bum-ble-bee"). The trickiest portion to practice will be the left hand jumping quickly to catch the triplet rhythm.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hugh,
I hope it's just my computer but I don't see the YouTube Link on your last post. The space is there but no link???
Woody

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Hugh,
I hope it's just my computer but I don't see the YouTube Link on your last post. The space is there but no link???
Woody

That's strange - i see the video myself. Is it still blank for you? If so, try going directly to the video on YouTube:

CDL Lesson #28 Measure 20

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes Hugh, still blank for me. I haven't seen any of the others yet so I don't know if it's my computer or what???? The link does work - thanks.
Woody

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
It is working for me.

OP Offline
Yes Hugh, still blank for me. I haven't seen any of the others yet so I don't know if it's my computer or what???? The link does work - thanks.
Woody

If this is easier, here's the direct link to the full YouTube playlist for "Clair de lune from Scratch":

Clair de lune from Scratch YouTube Playlist

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hugh,
Both of the links did work but I even tried re-booting my computer and still have a blank space in the posting. Carl said his is working so it must be something down here.
Woody

[Linked Image]
Mine works, too.

EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Pianoloverus,

You raised several very interesting points, and here are a few personal thoughts and comments:

<<Is the main idea of the series to enable beginning students to be able to play a much more advanced and beautiful work then they would normally be able to do so they will become inspired and love to play/practice the piano? >>

Yes!

Sometimes, the "advanced" element is largely in the notation and reading the score, rather than the physical movements required (such as in this piece where there's sections in either 4flats/4sharps and so on). It provides methods and strategies to catalyse/accelerate the learning process.

<<Or is this meant to be a method for learning every new piece?>>

Yes!

I am a poor music sight reader, I consider myself to be a "decypherer" (e.g. "C" ..."a"...."t" oh its "cat" and so forth). I've found that by applying Hugh's very detailed review process to the current piece that I'm working on and identifying all the notes, considering all the fingering and so on, that it seems to be getting into my fingers much faster than the pieces I've studied during the last 2 years. Whilst I have been breaking my pieces into sections and identifying the hard bars, I hadn't gone as far as clinically dissecting down to each and every note so thoroughly, (I let this evolve with time (wasting time)). So during this week I stopped all "regular practice" on my current piece until I'd completed this process which took several hours or more over a couple of days. I will certainly be approaching all my pieces like this from now on.

<<Or is the idea to have a video of measure by measure "pre instructions" so they can deal with a piece that they normally would find too difficult?>>

Yes!

Funnily enough, I'd written a bit about this on my Blog. If you were going to climb a mountain you'd read a guide book and take a map (even if it was just a day long hike). If it was an expedition lasting weeks, you'd probably have a Guide. We may spend weeks or months studying a piece. So I can definately see the need for this bar-by-bar dissection of a piece together with informed advice on fingering, pedalling and putting it all together as being potentially very useful (if it were commercially available and from a reputable source).

There appears to be a lot of the old carpenter's saying here of "Measure twice cut once" (or similar) as well. That is, plan what you are going to practice and figure it all out carefully, before learning to play the parts (and possibly hard-coding in weak points, stutters, misstakes and so on). Figuring out all the fingering and notes, up front, checking how one phrase flows into the next, slowly and carefully seems so obvious and very important to me now.

<<Or something else??>>

Get everything you can from these tutorials. Even the simple things like crossing out the tied notes seems to help make things easier for me.

I can see that it may also be possible, that by being so careful and clinical with the study of the score of new pieces that once this process becomes instinctive and habitual, that there could well be major benefits towards improved sight-reading.

Just a few thoughts....

Hugh,
How much of what we're hearing in the lessons is your Cunningham and how much is PianoTeq3?
http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq/audio/Debussy-Clairdelune-HughSung-C3close.mp3 makes me wonder...

Kawai MP5 / Ivory Italian Grand
C.C. Harvey 52" Upright Grand
Yamaha M202 Console
OP Offline
Originally Posted by JeffBC
Hugh,
How much of what we're hearing in the lessons is your Cunningham and how much is PianoTeq3?
http://www.pianoteq.com/pianoteq/audio/Debussy-Clairdelune-HughSung-C3close.mp3 makes me wonder...

Ah! Good question! What do you think? I'll reveal the answer after we get some responses wink

Page 11 of 29 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 28 29

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission