Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (AWilley, Carey, BeeZee4, achoo42, AYS, Bobby Simons, 25 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
HP207: worth the wait? #1266154
09/10/09 10:42 PM
09/10/09 10:42 PM
USA
M
mariaristotle Offline OP
mariaristotle  Offline OP
M

USA
Hi all,
I played the piano for about 10 years when I was a child, stopped for about 10 more years, and now I very much want to get back at it in my spare time.
I fell in love with the Roland HP207 a few weeks ago. The problem is that the cheapest I could find it for was $3400, which is a very high price (I live in Northern Virginia, U.S.A.)
Obviously I would prefer spending much less.
I tried cheaper versions like the hp203, but I could definitely hear the difference at the end notes: it just was not so great compared to its more expensive brother.

My question is:
Is Roland going to release a another similar but cheaper piano along that line, soon?

I know about the DP-990 but I think it will probably have the same problem as the HP203 with the end notes because of their small speakers.
I would not mind buying a used one but then again I would have to wait for a while: I have not seen any used one online yet since it is a relatively new model.

I would very much appreciate your input.

(ad) SWEETWATER Lowest Prices
Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: mariaristotle] #1266174
09/10/09 11:27 PM
09/10/09 11:27 PM
Tokyo, Japan
G
Geoffk Offline
500 Post Club Member
Geoffk  Offline
500 Post Club Member
G

Tokyo, Japan
In Japan, there is a model in between the 207 and 203 (not surprisingly called the HP-205). However, I doubt that this will be released in the US, if it hasn't already.

You could attach external speakers to the 203, which would improve the sound but the equalization and some other features (duplex scale) on the 207 will still make the high end sound better.

If you really like it I would save up for the 207 or look on E-Bay for a used one. It's a couple of years old, so you'll probably find one. You could also look at cheaper competitors, such as the Yamaha CLP-340.

Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: Geoffk] #1266344
09/11/09 09:22 AM
09/11/09 09:22 AM
G
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Gyro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G

I have a similar background, 9
yrs. of classical lessons as
a child, quitting for 20
yrs., and then restarting as
an adult, instructing myself.

Since restarting, I've bought
5 pianos, the first one
acoustic, and the rest
digital, as follows:
an expensive acoustic upright,
bought in the early 1980's for
slightly less than $6000 (a similar
model today would be in the ~$20,000
price range); a Korg C-800
console, bought in 1989 for
$1700; a Casio AP-24 console,
bought in 2005 for $700; a Korg
SP-250 lightweight console, bought
in 2006 for $900; and my current
piano, a Williams Overture console,
bought in 2009 for $600.

You can see from the above that
the trend with me has been to
less and less expensive pianos,
even as my playing has gotten
more and more advanced (I can
now play difficult pieces like
the Chopin op. 14, whereas in
my last yr. of lessons in high
school all I could manage was
the easier preludes and
nocturnes). I can play
concert pianist-level
repertoire just as well on a
$600 Williams as on a much
more expensive piano,
so why pay more, is how I feel
about it. When I owned the
Casio, I once tried a $15,000
digital, and I was completely
unimpressed with how it stacked up
to the Casio.

Look at it this way: you
can play difficult classical
pieces on an old upright as
well as on a concert grand.
Are you saying that you can't
start playing again unless you
have a concert grand to practice
on?

So I can't see the HP 207 as the
last word in digital pianos. I've
tried one, and although it was
very impressive--essentially
a concert grand in performance--
I didn't see enough difference
between it and digitals below
$1000 to justify the purchase.
Even inexpensive digitals have
sound sampled from a concert grand
and an action modeled upon a
concert grand action. A Williams
Overture of course can't match
a HP 207 in sophistication and
smoothness, but I can play anything
on it that I could on the Roland.

Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: Gyro] #1266405
09/11/09 11:21 AM
09/11/09 11:21 AM
S
susanmusic Offline
susanmusic  Offline
S

Well, I find myself in partial agreement with Gyro. I think it would be better for you to have *something* to play while shopping at leisure for the DP of your dreams. The new Casio PX-130 is at Guitar Center for $499. See other threads here for better deals that people are finding. For some perspective, $500 would get you about 8 hours of piano lessons in Northern Virginia.

BTW, if you'd consider Kawai DP's as you do more shopping, I really liked the Piano Company in Leesburg. Very low pressure and no haggling. Their prices were in the ballpark of the prices-paid thread here and they put the prices right on the pianos.

Teacher. 1926 Steinway M. Kawai CE200. Casio PX3. Yamaha P-60. Yamaha NP-30. Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord. Roland Integra 7.
Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: susanmusic] #1266472
09/11/09 01:49 PM
09/11/09 01:49 PM
California
N
Nikalette Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Nikalette  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
N

California
Originally Posted by susanmusic
Well, I find myself in partial agreement with Gyro. I think it would be better for you to have *something* to play while shopping at leisure for the DP of your dreams. The new Casio PX-130 is at Guitar Center for $499. See other threads here for better deals that people are finding. For some perspective, $500 would get you about 8 hours of piano lessons in Northern Virginia.

BTW, if you'd consider Kawai DP's as you do more shopping, I really liked the Piano Company in Leesburg. Very low pressure and no haggling. Their prices were in the ballpark of the prices-paid thread here and they put the prices right on the pianos.

Music 123 has a 20% off customer appreciation sale right now, so that would bring the PX 130 down to about $400.

Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: Nikalette] #1266761
09/11/09 11:12 PM
09/11/09 11:12 PM
USA
M
mariaristotle Offline OP
mariaristotle  Offline OP
M

USA
Thank you Gyro, Susanmusic, Geoffk, and Nikalette for your input. Thank you also to the member who left me the message. I truly appreciate all of your inputs.

I have tried basically most pianos at Guitar Center many times over this summer. The Casios were decent but did not particularly impress me. I also tried Gyro's piano, the Williams Overture a couple times. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. The best I heard a Guitar Center was the Yamaha YDP223. I was about to buy it about a month ago, when I decided to go check out the fancy DPs at a big piano dealer (Jordan Kitt's (Fairfax store))). I went there around 3 times and slowly but surely I fell in love with the HP207. The CLP340 was wonderful too. However, I decided to settle down for a Roland as I know a digital piano repair shop specialized in high end Yamaha and Roland, and the technicians over there told me they definitely see more Yamahas coming in than Rolands (but that could also just mean that there are just more Yamahas out there).

In the end I think I am going to wait a few more weeks for a used 207 to show up on Craigslist or Ebay. If not, I think I can talk the price down to about $3100 (no tax) with some luck (there is a dealer in a lost town in Maryland that is offering nice prices). I will try again talking to Jordan Kitt's, but I don't know if they would be willing bring the price that down.
Apparently the prices on new Roland DPs will increase at the end of the month, so I cannot wait too long for a used one to show up.

On another note:
Gyro, I wanted to let you know that I truly appreciate your input even though a couple others disagree. It is true that we all should really think hard about how we spend our dollars on pianos. I see everyday on Craigslist literally tons of pianos (acoustic and digital)(some are very nice and $$$), many bought for the wrong reasons, that often end up neglected or barely used. I mean seriously how many piano buyers end up truly using their DP to get their money's worth?

Thanks all again.

Last edited by mariaristotle; 09/11/09 11:13 PM.
Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: mariaristotle] #1266771
09/11/09 11:32 PM
09/11/09 11:32 PM
Center City, MN
AnthonyB Offline
500 Post Club Member
AnthonyB  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Center City, MN
I'm not sure the price of an hp-207 would be coming down in the near future either.

I don't know if Roland will come out with a new and updated console type piano that isn't based on the v-piano. I'm going to assume that based on the price of the current v-piano that any such unit will cost more than the current hp-207.

I ended up with the FP-7 due to the fact that it was about the best that I could afford at the time. I did have some fun this summer and took it outside on a few nice sunny days just for a change of scenery. It certainly isn't the easiest thing to haul around despite it being a stage piano.

I mainly bought the FP-7 for all the features it had connectivity wise. USB/MIDI, thumb drive, 2 headphone, line in and line out support. I figured that would work great for recording and if need be in the future to use a software/sampled based piano program. I also made sure it had nice pedal support regarding number of pedals and half pedal. This way even if I tire of the built in sound I can do something about it.

Of course, the only person that has to be happy with the purchase is you and it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. I didn't want to take the time to save up even more for a more expensive piano as I was coming from an unweighted 61 key keyboard and was afraid that I might lose the hobby I just started due to the limits of the equipment I was stuck using.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: AnthonyB] #1266835
09/12/09 02:24 AM
09/12/09 02:24 AM
Banned
T
theJourney Offline
3000 Post Club Member
theJourney  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Banned
Remember when you are buying a console piano like the HP207 in the United States you are paying big bucks for two things:

- cheap, plastic, cheesy furniture
- "dealer tax": forced to buy through piano stores with low turnover that expect a very high profit margin; much of the end user cost is profit to these inefficient retailers.

It will almost always be a better value to create a high quality home setup with a stage piano and monitors.

Re: HP207: worth the wait? [Re: theJourney] #1267082
09/12/09 01:39 PM
09/12/09 01:39 PM
S
susanmusic Offline
susanmusic  Offline
S

Well, if you happen to be at the Leesburg Outlets in the next few weeks, I'd suggest giving the Piano Company's stock of Kawai DP's a try. Also, Foxes in Falls Church does have some Roland DP's but I'm not sure whether they can offer the HP-207. Might be worth a call.

Teacher. 1926 Steinway M. Kawai CE200. Casio PX3. Yamaha P-60. Yamaha NP-30. Roland C-30 Digital Harpsichord. Roland Integra 7.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
A YouTube Channel That Has Really Helped Me
by writebynight. 08/18/19 05:31 PM
Repertoire for Warm Up
by cmb13. 08/18/19 04:11 PM
Fallboard not as slow as it used to be
by doremi. 08/18/19 03:55 PM
A Theoretical MIDI Question (or Two....)
by newbert. 08/18/19 03:28 PM
Best cheapest hydraulic piano bench
by Abdol. 08/18/19 03:00 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,610
Posts2,860,173
Members94,184
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission