2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,820 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
TonyY Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Why is it grade 10 RCM (highest level in piano excluding ARCT diplomas) I was just looking through some pieces that a student of mine could do for grade 10, and came across this.

Pianist/Piano Teacher
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Who said Claire de Lune was easy?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
As far as I can tell, no one.

smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
C
C
Originally Posted by bruce-san
Who said Claire de Lune was easy?

Well, it's not very difficult to, as a friend of mine who took up casual piano lessons once said, "punch the right keys at the right time".

Whether that means the piece is easy or not is an entirely separate question.

Clayton -

My listening obsessions:
Kurt Atterberg - Piano Concerto in Bb
Claude Debussy - Cello Sonata
Johannes Brahms - Intermezzo Op. 118 No. 2
T
TonyY Offline OP
OP Offline
T
T-O-N-S of people say it's easy, technically it's very simple, and the tempo is quite slow. Like the person above said, "punch the right keys at the right time."

Pianist/Piano Teacher
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TonyY
Why is it grade 10 RCM (highest level in piano excluding ARCT diplomas) I was just looking through some pieces that a student of mine could do for grade 10, and came across this.

Interpretive difficulty, I'd say. Debussy is a whole other kettle of fish than the Romantic music. That's why I haven't touched any. I do love to listen, however. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I'm a lowly intermediate (though improving) and I found it an awkward bear. Easy enough to "punch the right notes." Another matter entirely to play it well.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Clayton
"punch the right keys at the right time"

Scarbo and the Liszt Transcendental Etudes can also be played using this method. wink

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I'm not familiar with RCM's grading scale and don't know offhand where to find a syllabus. What else is classified as Grade 10?

Steven

T
TonyY Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks everyone for the answers, they are all very helpful. (especially Horowitzian)

Sotto Voce, I reckon you are from the U.S and is probably and only familiar with the ABRSM system. Well, many say that Grade 10 RCM is similar to Grade 8 ABRSM, the Repertoire, technical requirements, aural, and sight-reading. The only difference is that there are 5 repertoire pieces instead of three. This is a Grade 10 syllabus similar to the RCM syllabus: http://www.bccmexaminations.ca/downloads/grade10.pdf

Pianist/Piano Teacher
B
B
“It's easy to play any musical instrument: all you have to do is touch the right key at the right time and the instrument will play itself.” - Bach

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Actually, I'm equally unfamiliar with RCM and ABRSM; neither is standard here except for teachers who choose to follow their curricula, and we have no such national organization of our own.

Thanks for the link!

Steven

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Have you actually looked at the score? It's not that easy to actually count it correctly. I don't play this piece myself, but I've taught it numerous times. Invariably, I am *always* correcting rhythm.

G
G
I'm pretty sure that whack-a-mole uses the same philosophy! Debussy always has it's challenges whether it requires big chords, fast linear passages, or slow solemn tempi. Debussy is rarely "easy".

"Recommend virtue to your children; it alone, not money, can make them happy. I speak from experience; this was what upheld me in time of misery. Thanks for it and to my art, I did not end my life by suicide."
~Ludwig Van Beethoven~
T
TonyY Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by CherryCoke
Have you actually looked at the score? It's not that easy to actually count it correctly. I don't play this piece myself, but I've taught it numerous times. Invariably, I am *always* correcting rhythm.

Well said, many people play it in the wrong time, or try to hide it with rubato.

Last edited by TonyY; 09/07/09 12:47 AM.

Pianist/Piano Teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
By the way, while the opening may be slow, the middle section moves at a brisker pace and does actually contain some awkward moments for fingering.

"La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin" is grade 9 by RCM standards as well. Technically someone of grade 5 or above would probably be able to hammer out all the right notes, but I think the RCM is trying to say that the interpretative demands of this pieces are not suited until a certain level of proficiency is attained.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
V
V
Originally Posted by TonyY

This is a Grade 10 syllabus similar to the RCM syllabus: http://www.bccmexaminations.ca/downloads/grade10.pdf

Why is Clair de lune listed under Preludes, Book 2 rather than Suite Bergamasque on the syllabus?
I'm not all that familiar with Debussy preludes, but I've listened to all of them a few times.
It probably means La terrasse des audiences au clair de lune, the seventh prelude in book 2?

Last edited by eggsdeee; 09/07/09 01:15 AM.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by eggsdeee
Why is Clair de lune listed under Preludes, Book 2 rather than Suite Bergamasque on the syllabus?...
It probably means La terrasse des audiences au clair de lune, the seventh prelude in book 2?
Which would mean that Clair de lune (from Suite Bergamasque) is actually not on the G10 syllabus at all. So to the OP, if you're thinking of entering a student for G10, you need to contact RCM and check this.

Du holde Kunst...
This was the song that I first picked up after not playing piano for four years. It was daunting at first, especially when you look at the second page. But everything becomes easier with practice.

There are parts that I still need to polish like the arps, but I would say Clair de lune is fairly intermediate or intermediate/advanced piece.

"...music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." -Ludwig van Beethoven
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
I believe that Claire de Lune has been previously classified as a Grade 7 piece by ABRSM which means that a good student could be ready for to learn it with help from a teacher after anywhere from 4 to 5 years of structured lessons and appropriate practicing. This seems to agree with kbk's comments that a Grade 5 student was able to use time and energy to learn it to a good standard.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission