2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jazzyprof
Hugh teaches the technique needed to play a passage when the need comes up.
Technique is not so readily acquired.

OP Offline
Not bad for 2 weeks of lessons.
In this post you confuse demonstration of a skill with its acquisition. Anyway, it's all rather holistic - all these skills must work together without disruption by poor habits.

Of course one can spend years on technique but Hugh is not necessarily preparing students at this stage for Carnegie Hall.
Ahem, at no stage is he. That's the point.

Last edited by keyboardklutz; 09/06/09 02:16 PM. Reason: Edited due to popular demand.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Hugh teaches the technique needed to play a passage when the need comes up.
Technique is not so readily acquired.

Of course acquisition takes practice and that is entirely up to the student. The teacher cannot practice for the student. I myself am a teacher and I know the value to the student of homework for the acquisition of skills that I have demonstrated in class.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Anyway, it's all rather holistic - all these skills must work together without the disruption of poor habits.

I would hope you would want to disrupt poor habits.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Anyway, it's all rather holistic - all these skills must work together without the disruption of poor habits.

I would hope you would want to disrupt poor habits.

smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
After some initial skepticism, I find that I've been enjoying Hugh's videos very much.

Learning technique and developing technique are very different things. I know this from golf - I have "learned" the elements of a basic golf swing, including the adjustments one makes for a variety of different shots (fade, draw, punch, chip, pitch, etc...)

This does not mean I can faithfully execute these different things 100% of the time. I have not yet developed my skills to a level where I am able to reliably draw a 5-iron, and I still hit the occasional errant drive or catch my 4-iron off the toe.

But despite my undeveloped swing, I still enjoy learning about the more advanced techniques, and if I watch a golf pro teach "How to Work a Drive from Right to Left" on TV or YouTube, I definitely glean some information and interest that gets me to the driving range.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Clair de Lune is hardly a virtuoso piece and is only 72 measures long, some of which are repeats. It will not take a beginner years to learn this piece and play it to a fair standard.

I think it will. This statement greatly underestimates the demands of this piece.

Pianist and piano teacher.
OP Offline
I know a very hard working ABRSM grade 5-with-Merit student who worked hard for several months and achieved something performable.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kreisler
But despite my undeveloped swing, I still enjoy learning about the more advanced techniques, and if I watch a golf pro teach "How to Work a Drive from Right to Left" on TV or YouTube, I definitely glean some information and interest that gets me to the driving range.

I am willing to accept that this might just be the whole point, I would just like Hugh to clarify.

I teach hardly any adults and have rarely done so. Children are happy to learn basics and in fact are often put off by anything they think might be difficult. They will play simple pieces in 5 finger positions with each hand without giving it a second thought. Maybe it just doesn't work like that with most adults. The adults I have taught tended to be impatient and have wanted to play pieces above their level. Would others say that this is the norm?

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Kreisler
...Learning technique and developing technique are very different things. I know this from golf - I have "learned" the elements of a basic golf swing, including the adjustments one makes for a variety of different shots (fade, draw, punch, chip, pitch, etc...)

This does not mean I can faithfully execute these different things 100% of the time. I have not yet developed my skills to a level where I am able to reliably draw a 5-iron, and I still hit the occasional errant drive or catch my 4-iron off the toe.

+1 yet again, Kreisler laugh

I've used the word "glean" here in PW to describe one of the ways I learn useful information. I've also used the way I've learned sports as an example of some of the ways I've learned piano. I've described my learning style as "spiral" - stretch and drop back, play harder play broader, play at the edge play in depth. I certainly, from experience in life, know the difference between seeing a technique and actually acquiring it. I liked very much jazzyprof's description of what is being conveyed in these videos.

When I first came to PW I had very much the sense of some others that piano was taught in pretty stodgy and non-musical ways. I learned soon that there are teachers who don't teach the way I was taught (and some still do . . .) But this and the "Learning from video game developers" thread are the first time I've seen some truly alternative approaches discussed with a real openness to what can happen by using them.

I didn't have good instruction in technique. I doubt seriously, tho it's hard to remember, that I actually had much instruction at all - I think what I got was pieces to play in some kind of graded order. Like piano*dad, I also wasn't very mature, certainly not musically, so the music itself didn't come until after I was a middle-aged adult. So I don't, in fact, believe that it is absolutely necessary to have been taught well from the very beginning - smile And I do believe that one can play *music* later in one's life even if one started with poor/no instruction. And I think these videos help that along.

I'm glad to see there's some openness to new approaches to piano.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
It's a bit confusing having this topic spread over 3 forums!

I would have to agree with kbk about the difference between demonstration and acquisition, that was very well put. All the things jazzyprof listed have been skimmed in the lessons but that doesn't mean they will be understood. It takes minutes to explain to someone the workings of notation and the basics of pitch and duration. Why then are there all these people who can't sight read?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chris H.
All the things jazzyprof listed have been skimmed in the lessons but that doesn't mean they will be understood. It takes minutes to explain to someone the workings of notation and the basics of pitch and duration. Why then are there all these people who can't sight read?

Sight reading (and I am using the literal meaning, "prima vista") is a matter of practice: the more you do it the better you get at it. There are professional pianists who are lousy sight readers. If a beginner follows Hugh's lessons he will be able to decipher music notation and know what key on the keyboard corresponds to what note on the printed page. He will be able to read music but not necessarily "sight read", a very different thing.

You say that the things I listed have been "skimmed" in Hugh's lessons. To some extent that is true: he is teaching the minimum needed to achieve a certain limited goal. That goal, as far as I understand it, is to teach the student enough music notation and enough practical keyboard skills that they can work their way through Clair de Lune with a lot of help. Will this approach suddenly turn a beginner into an intermediate player? I doubt it. Will the beginner play Clair de Lune well enough to please a jury? Probably not. But he will play it well enough to give himself pleasure and feel a certain sense of accomplishment. His family and friends will be awed. "Why, Johnny couldn't play a single note a month ago. Look at him now!" As testament you can look at the video a beginner has posted in response to Hugh's lessons.

Will the skills learnt from studying Clair de Lune this way transfer to other music? I should think so. The student will recognize F-clefs and G-clefs and know what to do when he sees an octave. But the most important thing is that the student will be motivated to pursue further study because he is working on music he enjoys.

The nice thing about this teaching format is that the student has the videos at his disposal and can watch them an infinite number of times if there is something he didn't quite get on the first viewing. He can also post questions to Hugh and get detailed answers, sometimes in the form of dedicated mini-lessons such as the one he did on counting duple rhythms.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Chris H.
I would have to agree with kbk about the difference between demonstration and acquisition, that was very well put.
Do ya know how I know? Years of observing classroom teachers. The thing you see more often than not is the teacher who thinks, since they've demonstrated something, the students have learned it. No, that's not teaching, not even close. You look to the students not the teacher if you want to know what learning has actually taken place.

C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I couldn't find the beginner video posted in response to hugh's lessons. Is there any chance you could provide a link? Thanks.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I am going to post the link, but with some trepidation as I fear that the poor kid is going to be ripped to shreds. He is a beginner from Sweden, never played before and this is what he can do after one week. You will of course find many problems with his playing...wrong notes, problems with rhythm, etc. But this is where genuine positive feedback with suggestions for improvement comes in.

In his own words:
This is me playing Claire De Lune by Debussy. Thanks for the lessons Hughsung! Comment if you like, come with tips or if I'm doing something wrong :P
I know it's faar from perfect but bear in mind I AM a beginner, haven't played before so be nice wink

Here's the link, and remember, be nice!
Beginner

OP Offline
He certainly doesn't count to 9!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Must have learnt from Oistrakh.

OP Offline
That's right, at the Schmaltz Academy.

I'm going to come to this young man's defense and applaud his efforts to learn this challenging piece. Learning should be a joy and a continual process, not a minefield where counting less or more than nine gets you penalized and reprimanded. Teachers should provide avenues of possibilities, not barricades of myopic impossibilities.

T
T
Originally Posted by Hugh Sung

I'm going to come to this young man's defense and applaud his efforts to learn this challenging piece. Learning should be a joy and a continual process, not a minefield where counting less or more than nine gets you penalized and reprimanded. Teachers should provide avenues of possibilities, not barricades of myopic impossibilities.

That's why I thought maybe you could talk about the rhythm in the beginning, and make them be aware of that. Counting in the first page is NOT hard at all!!

Pianist/Piano Teacher
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission