2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1218486 06/17/09 03:26 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Am I weird? I'm 35, but my musical knowledge is limited to classical music, jazz standards, and songs that my parents' listened to. You know, the Beatles, Beach boys, the Bee Gees.

Any songs issued from 2000 onwards will be foreign to me, although I may be able to recognize some pop ballads from the 80s and 90s.

I don't know anyone else my age with this taste in music.

M
M
I'm 5 years younger than you and yet I love Fats Waller, lots of early jazz tunes and pop songs from the 70s and 80s!

So you're not the only one.

Meri

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Don't worry, I have WEIRDER tastes than you. I am younger than you by 12 years and yet it's hard for me to recognize songs from 1995 onwards...unless the song/s get so annoyingly popular you hear them EVERYWHERE and then they kind of stick whether you like it or not. When I was 11-13 years old, I listened exclusively to songs by The Platters, Dione Warwick, Matt Monro, Engelbert Humperdinck, The Carpenters, and a handful of classical pieces. But that is still less 'weird' than my current taste in music for the past 10 years, which is Japanese pop/rock/soundtrack music. And most of it is not mainstream, even in Japan. At least with the oldies songs, most people around me can relate to them or would at least know the tune. Fat chance of that happening with Japanese music, unless the other person is another Japanophile. And to think that when I started liking this kind of music, I couldn't understand the lyrics at all! grin

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
B
B
Count me in for the weird music taste team!

Well, I don't think any taste in music could be called 'weird', it's juts that isn't mainstream. And given the quality and variety of nowadays mainstream music, the only logical option is to gravitate towards minoritary genres.

Appart from classical, my shelves are full of gothic metal, folk metal, OSTs, industrial and afterpunk CD's

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
There's music from just about any genre that I like.
But mostly I'm into Ambient and Classical Piano Music. Also kind of a weird combination.

J
J
Hm ... opera, Baroque anything, 80s arena rock, Britpop, and Renaissance music. So basically anything that can be sung by a guy with a reeeeeaaaaaaally high voice. Senesino and Freddie Mercury. Heh.

Oh, and for some reason, Brazilian R&B. *shrug* And Nine Inch Nails. Most people need a decompression chamber to go from Haendel to Trent Reznor.

If there is a banner ad in this post, please be advised that the owners of the company traffic in illegal drugs and have been caught in compromising positions with farm animals.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by J Cortese
Most people need a decompression chamber to go from Haendel to Trent Reznor.

When I make playlists in my ipod sometimes I like to add something really tasteful like Henry Purcell's "Thou Knowest Lord" and follow it up with something totally opposite like The Beastie Boys' "Intergallactic". whistle

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That's not weird at all. I'm 21 and hardly know anything at all about today's mainstream music except that I don't like most of it. The only "new" music that appeals to me comes from Radiohead, Devendra Banhart, Rodrigo y Gabriela, or this Swedish band called Dungen.

I listen to classical more than any of these though and feel like I've really lost touch (as far as musical taste is concerned) with people my age.

I do like some classic rock though: Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, etc...

O
O
Originally Posted by redryder
Am I weird? I'm 35, but my musical knowledge is limited to classical music, jazz standards, and songs that my parents' listened to. You know, the Beatles, Beach boys, the Bee Gees.

Any songs issued from 2000 onwards will be foreign to me, although I may be able to recognize some pop ballads from the 80s and 90s.

I don't know anyone else my age with this taste in music.

You are not alone! I adore Beatles and Beach boys. Also I like classical music. Don't worry! it's ok!!

Life is a flower of which glitter graphics is the honey.
M
M
Originally Posted by sunburstflame
That's not weird at all. I'm 21 and hardly know anything at all about today's mainstream music except that I don't like most of it.

Same here.

Originally Posted by sunburstflame
The only "new" music that appeals to me comes from Radiohead, Devendra Banhart, Rodrigo y Gabriela, or this Swedish band called Dungen.

I listen to classical more than any of these though and feel like I've really lost touch (as far as musical taste is concerned) with people my age.

I do like some classic rock though: Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Who, etc...

Hah, we have the same taste in music! XD
More emphasis on classic rock though, and you can tack on Simon and Garfunkel and Billy Joel with those stated above.

How many 18 yea-olds like Simon and Garfunkel..? haha

Currently working on:
-Die Moldau
-some jazz stuff
A lot of the people at my school (high school) love classic rock... I'm not just talking about my "circle of friends" either.
in fact I have a friend who is completely obsessed with Queen (and practically shuns most 'mainstream' music!). smile
I don't really listen to the most popular music either.... I just listen to random music and music that is recommended to me, and see if I like it. I like a variety of genres of music.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I'm kind of with you.....I still go nuts over Doo Wop, and I love the PLATTERS (and looked into having "them" perform at my wedding ......the reason "them" is in quotes is that of course it's not the original group, and there are SEVERAL 'Platters' groups making the rounds).

Another big favorite, going back to the original days and continuing forever, is FRANKIE VALLI AND THE FOUR SEASONS.
(And I'm not talking VIvaldi.) smile

Bravo to you on Simon & Garfunkel!

P.S. Congrats on UW-Superior.......I lived in Milwaukee for a few years and came to love the state.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission