2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (20/20 Vision, 36251, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1262494 09/04/09 04:22 PM
Gisele Offline OP
OP Offline
I start teaching piano to 2 sisters in about a week and a half. They are aged 7 and 9 and have never played the piano before. My instinct is telling me to have them use different books to work from. I don't want them bored of listening to their sister playing the same pages. What is your opinion/experience on this? Thanks,

Gisele

Gisele Sum, gsum82-piano@hotmail.com
Piano and Theory Teacher
Principal Church Organist and/or Choir Accompaniment
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Definitely use different courses. Just because they are sisters doesn't mean they will learn the same way or will proceed at the same pace.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
K
K
I generally use different material with siblings. And I institute a "leave your sister's music alone" rule. That comes from my childhood when I learned things more quickly than my younger sisters. They would become discouraged if I played their pieces.

Private Teacher
Member MTNA, WMTA, CVMTA
Local Association President
The Achievement Program Center Representative
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I've used separate method books with siblings in the past. But I noticed that consistently the one using Faber and Faber PA always did better! (And the other got frustrated, or even dropped out.) So now I use PA with both. I have a standard "agreement" in place with them ahead of time - that it is not a competition. That I expect them to have different strengths and weaknesses. If one is older, I explain right away that I will probably move that person faster on purpose, just so they aren't in the same place at the same time.

Currently I have two sets of twins. They have been doing everything in tandem all their lives, so they seem used to the idea that one of them might learn one thing faster, and another will do something different well. They each have to have their own theory books. And I use different supplemental material for each. I tell them they are "allowed" to help each other, with two exceptions. I want them to do their theory on their own, and they aren't allowed to try their sister's supplemental piece until after I have checked it off. They all seem to understand. I am also going to attempt, for awhile at least, to keep them at the same point. They are all new students so I'll have to report back later how this goes.

piano teacher
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I ask the mom or dad in this case, because they know them very well. Do they compete or are they good friends? If one learned faster than the other, would that cause issues? If the answer is yes, they compete and it would cause issues, then you know to use two different methods. You also have put forth your best case for the mother so she understands why two sets of books would be necessary, thus bypassing any objections on her part. I like PA, but I also like Hal Leonard (although they changed Lesson Book 3 a bit and made it easier and I don't much care for that).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Although I've never had siblings begin piano at the same time, I've certainly encountered them two years apart. As others have mentioned, I use different materials for them. Students usually take possession of their music, so it's best to not recycle. My sisters hated the handmedown school and music items, and I can't blame them. They deserve to have something new and fresh when they begin to learn piano.

Almost always, you'll find different learning styles and speed, but you won't know at the outset which will be the best match for the each student. You can increase your odds by a discrete conversation with mom or dad, by asking probing questions.

It's a good idea to be familiar with more than one series/method even if one becomes your primary. For me, I use Piano Town as my primary, and keep an emergency set of Faber's and Bastien's methods on the shelf just in case. If I find a student extremely high on the learning ability scale, or displaying real musical sensitivity, then I ease them into Jane Tan's method, because we'll focusing on sound issues anyway (so using her methods will make this easier).

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I used to use Bastien as my second method. I had used it prior to discovering PA, so was familiar with it. What I discovered was that kids who were going to be competitive would do so regardless of what method. So students compared whether or not they had to "repeat" a piece, or how fast they finished a unit, or a whole book, or how many compliments I gave at the lesson... If competition is going to be a problem, it won't matter what method you use. (I even have children - or their parents - who keep track of my other students' progress, especially if they happen to be friends or classmates outside of studio.)

So instead, I've chosen to deal with the competition aspects head-on, rather than try to subvert them.

And occasionally, I find a little bit of competition to be useful.

piano teacher
Gisele Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the reassurance and the warnings of the sisters' possible competitiveness. I never even thought of that possibility, as my siblings and I were almost a decade apart, so this never happened at our home.

I agree that each will probably like to use their own books so they don't feel like they are playing hand-me-downs.

It will be good practice for me too, learning to teach from 2 different series.

Gisele

Gisele Sum, gsum82-piano@hotmail.com
Piano and Theory Teacher
Principal Church Organist and/or Choir Accompaniment

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission