2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1260776 09/02/09 12:58 AM
Glen R. Offline OP
OP Offline
So I've been taking lessons since mid May, and practicing at least an hour each day. When I started, it was really frustrating, because each new piece was very painful--and I thought I'd never be able to sight read anything at all non-trivial.

Well I had a break-through the past couple of days. I pulled out "Big-Note Piano: The Best Songs Ever" (that I had long ago given up on) and surprise--I could play them! I couldn't believe it. Progress!

So where's the guilty pleasure? All I've been doing the last 2 or 3 days is going through the book piece by piece to see what I can play--no scales, nothing assigned by my teacher.

I can't believe it--I might just yet turn into a piano player!

Some of the songs I hope to work on:
  • Candle in the Wind
  • Tears in Heaven
  • What a Wonderful World
  • You Are So Beautiful

I think my favorite is Tears in Heaven--beautiful melody, and very touching when you know the story behind it.

Just thought I'd share my warm fuzzies :-)

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Kawai ES7
[Linked Image]
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
What a treat! It's funny how that progress sneaks up on you, isn't it? I sometimes think I'm no better than I was 10 years ago, but then, like you, I'll remember a piece that I couldn't play then, but can play now. Wonder of wonders!

Great tunes that you've played, too.

And P.S. I'v always thought your avatar is one of the cutest kids around. I smile every time I see it. smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jotur #1260822 09/02/09 03:25 AM
Glen R that's fantastic. I've only been playing a short time (less than a year) and have only just been able to sight-read a little (but still have to take a little glance down at the keys now and then). You DO want to share all those mile-stones because it seems quite a hard road at times (does to me anyway.

All the best.

Behind every successful woman is some twit who's lost the remote....
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow! What a great milestone! You've inspired me - I happen to own the same book, but the only song I've played through there is "That's All I Ask Of You" (is that right? It's the very first song in the book). It actually took me a whole month to get it to a decent playing level, with the guidance of my teacher. And I started playing at about the same time as you! I have since been swamped by other pieces so I haven't started on another song from the Best Songs Ever book yet. I might try it later when I get back home, but I have a lot of other pieces I need to work on so I don't know if I'll have the time.

Anyway, congratulations!

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, Glen R! What a beautiful epiphany. smile

Your story makes an excellent point we'd all be wise to attend to: Because progress in piano tends to be incremental and/or slow, it's very easy to feel discouraged, so it's a good idea to look back at older material every once in a while (or listen to old recordings of yourself) so that you can see just how far you've come. thumb

Glen R. Offline OP
OP Offline
jotur:
Your description of progress "sneaking up on you" is so true. That's exactly how I feel. Glad you like my avatar pic. I think she's pretty cute too :-)

angelas:
Yes, I figured sharing progress might inspire others in the same boat! As for sight-reading and looking at keys, I still do a lot of that!

marimorimo:
Yes, it sounds like you have the same book. I first got it a few years ago when I bought my first (unweighted) keyboard--long before I started lessons. I quickly realized that most of the songs were beyond my reach back then. It was far too frustrating, so I just put it back on my bookshelf.

I don't know what your background is, but I've probably been helped out by my high school band experience--music concepts and notation aren't an issue for me. It's getting my hands to do the right things, and in a coordinated fashion, that cause me grief right now.

Monica K.:
Epiphany--also a good description! I agree that looking back now and then is good. I also record songs every now and then. Quite eye-opening (ear-opening?) to listen to some of my earlier ones.

I credit my recent progress to my piano teacher. Partly for the actual teaching, but also the weekly push to practice enough to make some progress at my next lesson!

Oh, and Monica, I love the pieces you play. You're an inspiration!

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
1926 Heintzman Upright, Kawai ES7
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission