2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,203 guests, and 323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
I've been searching for a book for primary and level one piano students of familiar and favorite children's songs. The method books only include a small number of familiar songs. Ideally, the book would have words to sing along to their favorites, music written on the staff, and stay in hand positions.

So far, I've run into "Easy piano" books, which are easy for people who play, not for people who are just learning. Also I've found some that are not written on the staff.

Please suggest!

Welcome to the forum, Emdragonfly!

Check out Faber and Faber's PreTime and PlayTime books: Children's, Favorites and Popular:

http://pianoteaching.com/publications/mainLibraries/ptbtPiano.html

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
www.cameronparkpiano.com
Full-Time Private Piano Instructor
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm looking for songs that are familiar to today's kids, and many of these are not.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What songs do you consider familiar to today's kids? It varies widely by geography and demographic.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
There are so many songs in public domain considered to be children's song some dating back to the early 1800's. I've used a lot of these in my teaching - they are easy to play for the most part. Here's a very short list.

5 finger melodies such as:
Rain, Rain, Go Away
A Tisket, A Tasket
Love Somebody
Aura Lee

Some at Middle C:
30 Days Hath September
Happy Birthday
Bingo
Twinkle,same melody as Baa, Baa Black Sheep, and ABCDEFG (the Alphabet Song)

Melodies with octaves
Take Me Out to the Ball Game

I don't think it's at all important that the child has heard it before - in fact, it is important to mix them up with things they are unfamiliar with. I make it a point to provide lyrics on the page so we can hear inflection of the voice, we can feel the meter of the music, we can hear the phrasing. I also teach "form" early on. And, I believe that students have to be capable of a steady beat and melodious melodies before playing hands together. I structure my beginning students with steady TA's and half notes and whole notes before adding 1/8 notes or dotted quarters.
That is reflected in my choices for what comes next.

If you want me to send you some music pre-charts and staff music as attachments just ask: bpps98374@comcast.net.

I use these kinds of pieces instead of methods for basic notation and skills and then move on to music education composers for their supplemental music.

Soon after 2-3 lessons I begin teacher duets with them (the boom-chuck variety and waltz types of accompaniment). The sooner they can learn to hold their own with an accompaniment the better the future will be for them. Concentration needs to start young.

Betty

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
What songs do you consider familiar to today's kids? It varies widely by geography and demographic.

Probably not stuff in Thompson or Schaum... smokin

Seriously, I think it is the wrong approach to get songs that students know. It's okay to include some familiar melodies (in pedagogically-sound arrangements), but part of the piano-teaching profession is to expose children to music that is varied and diverse, drawn from several cultures and time periods.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission