2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
54 members (Carey, 3B43, Beemer, Beowulf, bobrunyan, Badger1966, 14 invisible), 477 guests, and 431 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 29 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 28 29
Re: Clair de lune from Scratch - YouTube Piano Lessons
Hugh Sung #1260220 09/01/09 10:39 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hugh,
I have no problem with the speed of the lessons. Since each lesson is self-contained and limited to a single measure in most cases, they can be reviewed (or repeated) as I need them. The real advantage to these on-line lessons is that they can be reviewed at whatever pace we, the students, choose. Since I've been off work for the past few days so I have plenty of time for practice. Once I start back to work later this week, I'll have a lot less time for practice but the lessons will still be at a pace I can learn at based on when I am able to review them. Yes, I may fall behind the class by a lesson or two, but the learning will still be at my pace. This learning method has got to be the way of the future!

Thanks again for taking the time and effort required to present these lessons.

Woody

[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Hugh Sung #1260237 09/01/09 11:00 AM
I've been following along from the beginning and I think you have a gift for teaching Hugh. I'm enjoying these lessons. I am a beginner and I'm keeping up quite well. The pedaling lessons are fantastic.

Thank you.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
HeirborneGroupie #1260266 09/01/09 11:28 AM
Hugh,
Thank you so much for the lesson on pedaling and showing how you pedal the 1st page. I thought it was very easy to understand and very helpful.

I also love technology, and as mentioned before, have gotten pretty good at recording the audio of my playing. I have not ventured into the video world yet. I had always assumed that a camcorder does not do a very good job of capturing the sound of a piano. Perhaps at some future point, you might outline what equipment and software is required to record video and post it.

Thanks again, I am really enjoying following this thread.

Mike
Estonia 168 in ebony polish, serial no. 1378
2play4U #1260560 09/01/09 07:37 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Looking forward to the last measure on page one...

I wish I wasn't working on a zillion other pieces and could just do this one...

Last edited by Mark...; 09/01/09 07:38 PM.
Mark... #1260861 09/02/09 06:58 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh, do you have any advice to offer regarding the playing of 3rds - and chords generally - in perfect unison, whilst at the same time balancing the voices in the chords appropriately? This is an essential skill I've been trying to master for a long time, with inconsistent results. Learning Clair de Lune with you has prompted me to ask for your help.

Michael
cruiser #1260917 09/02/09 09:48 AM
OP Offline
Lesson #18, Measure 14

Using our new mnemonics to quickly map out the notes, we find more parallel chords in both hands. We also go over a basic pedaling technique for the measure. Using the hands-free AirTurn to move back and forth between the two clipped measures (13 and 14), we can see how the "buzzing bumblebee" rhythm applies. This brings us to the end of page 1 in many editions, and the start of the more difficult section of "Clair de lune"!

Hugh Sung #1261012 09/02/09 12:22 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
To make it easier to find for all of my classmates and before it disappeared off page #1 - BUMP>

[Linked Image]
Woody-Woodruff #1261056 09/02/09 01:15 PM
M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Mark: Bumble bee buzzing, buzzing, buzzing...

Wife: Are you losing it? laugh

Mark... #1261064 09/02/09 01:29 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mark,
You may get away with the Bumble bee buzzing, buzzing, buzzing.... But DON'T let her hear the mnenomics - she'll just have you comitted!! "ew great big dog fur", yup, loonie bin for sure. LOL
Woody

[Linked Image]
Woody-Woodruff #1261071 09/02/09 01:36 PM
EJR Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Moderators,

Please can this thread be "stickied"...?

jazzyprof #1261410 09/02/09 11:02 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jazzyprof

Oh, and by the way, would you kindly post a pdf of at least the first page with all your suggested fingerings written in? This way one doesn't have to go through all the previous lessons in order to find your fingerings.

Sorry for the delay in getting this out! At first i was thinking of writing out all the fingerings in a new blank copy of the score, but then i realized that i had been saving my screencast notes as i went along - why not just make a PDF from those notes instead?

So here you go - a little hard to read, and it's only in black in white as a PDF (the highlights come out as solid block colors for some reason, so i have to export as grainy greyscale). Let me know if this helps. You'll also get a little preview of the notes to come in the next set of lessons, btw wink

Clair de lune from scratch notes in BW PDF

Hugh Sung #1261413 09/02/09 11:06 PM
OP Offline
Hm...looks like my site won't allow you to download directly, but at least the link will take you to the page/folder where the notes are located. Just look for "Clair de lune from scratch - notes" and you should be able to download the PDF there. Let me know if this doesn't work.

Woody-Woodruff #1261428 09/02/09 11:28 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Woody-Woodruff
Mark,
You may get away with the Bumble bee buzzing, buzzing, buzzing.... But DON'T let her hear the mnenomics - she'll just have you comitted!! "ew great big dog fur", yup, loonie bin for sure. LOL
Woody

LOL!! You guys are so funny - glad to know that my craziness keeps great company! wink

Hugh Sung #1261468 09/03/09 12:40 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, Hugh, thank you so much for putting up the pdf of your notes. Makes it so easy to catch up, review, get up to speed. You da man!

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
jazzyprof #1261495 09/03/09 01:43 AM
L
L
Hugh,
Forgive me for hijacking your topic but since you're a techie as well as a pianist I'm wondering if you have an opinion on the Synthesia computer program. Specifically, I'm curious whether you think it has any value as an alternative to standard music notation for those of us who totaly hate standard music notation.

If you're not familiar with Synthesia here's a tutorial that uses it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FOWP22OC04&feature=channel_page

Ludwig van Bilge #1261595 09/03/09 07:21 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Hugh,
Forgive me for hijacking your topic but since you're a techie as well as a pianist I'm wondering if you have an opinion on the Synthesia computer program. Specifically, I'm curious whether you think it has any value as an alternative to standard music notation for those of us who totaly hate standard music notation.

If you're not familiar with Synthesia here's a tutorial that uses it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FOWP22OC04&feature=channel_page

That's a fascinating question, Ludwig - yes, i've seen videos of Synthesia in action. What i find so interesting is that i find the effort to learn the notes with the "Synthesia" system to be just as hard, if not harder, than reading standard music notation. The Sudow "dot note" reading system seems to provide a similar approach, an intensely graphical notation that ends up being just as difficult, if not moreso, than reading "real" music. Where Sudow and Synthesia excel, perhaps, is in their novelty and the "fun"-factor - the pictures and graphics lookeasy by themselves, and thereby are better at inviting participation, masking difficulties that are surprisingly similar to traditional notation.

Here's what i mean regarding the difficulty. With Synthesia, you have to eyeball the distances between "notes" that look much more similar than standard notation. Complex rhythms would become a nightmare, as you wouldn't have the benefit of the time values spelled out for you - it would be a huge trial and error game until you "got it right".

Here's an example of Clair de lune with a similar program that shows what i mean - turn the volume off, and try to figure out what notes you're supposed to play and when, and you'll see what I mean:

Now, granted, in Synthesia you have a keyboard underneath to "catch" the falling notes, but i would still argue that it's a much more difficult system to use in the end, particularly if you're working with music you've never heard before. That's where traditional notation excels; once you learn it, it makes incredible sense, it's a flexible language that can accommodate remarkable depth with great efficiency, and it isn't hard to learn once you get past some of the biases and - perhaps, this is our fault as teachers - the 'traditional' ways of teaching it.

Take a sheet of regular music, turn it 90 degrees clockwise, and you have "Synthesia" kind of in reverse - instead of the notes falling down, the notes rise, but it's the same graphical representation with regard to distance. The benefit is that you can clearly see which hand plays which part, how long to play each note instantly instead of waiting for the longer notes to show their "tails", which keys to prepare for in advance (key signatures), so on and so forth.

Synthesia is a fun game for pieces that you already know, but i would argue that the time and effort spent trying to figure out an unfamiliar piece with it would be far greater than the time and effort with traditional notation. I'm hoping that lessons like the ones we're posting for this group will be a step towards making traditional notation much more fun and accessible to everyone.

Thanks again for a terrific question! Hope this helps!

Last edited by Hugh Sung; 09/03/09 07:26 AM.
cruiser #1261598 09/03/09 07:27 AM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by cruiser
Hugh, do you have any advice to offer regarding the playing of 3rds - and chords generally - in perfect unison, whilst at the same time balancing the voices in the chords appropriately? This is an essential skill I've been trying to master for a long time, with inconsistent results. Learning Clair de Lune with you has prompted me to ask for your help.

Hm - if you could post a video response, that might be helpful in figuring out how best to address your 3rds issues. Thanks!

Hugh Sung #1261643 09/03/09 09:37 AM
OP Offline
Lesson #19 - Measure 15, Part 1

Now we start one of the most difficult portions of "Clair de lune", but never fear - we'll take things a portion at a time to make the learning as easy as possible. We start by connecting the previous measure into the beginning of measure 15 by digitally clipping both portions and combining them side by side. We also talk about applying a "Tai Chi" style of playing, to ensure smooth transitions between large jumps in the left hand.

Hugh Sung #1261669 09/03/09 10:03 AM

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Hugh
Thanks for the notes. These are perfect for review when practicing the individual sections. thumb

Strings & Wood #1261717 09/03/09 11:17 AM
OP Offline
Glad to help out, Carl Mc & Jazzyprof! (Even more glad i remembered to save all those examples!) wink

Page 6 of 29 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 28 29

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP Buyer Needs Help :-)
by Badger1966 - 10/21/20 09:12 AM
Kawai es920 - record onto Android Smartphone
by big-vern - 10/21/20 04:51 AM
MP11SE in stock at bhphoto.com
by mivaldes - 10/20/20 10:35 PM
most common non ET temperaments in 2020?
by MartF - 10/20/20 08:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,334
Posts3,015,668
Members98,964
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission