2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Sandy Moore:
If I was a "pianist" I think I should be able to accomodate a request for "Do you know ____?" by at least faking it by ear. I also think I would be able to sightread well at an intermediate level, in December, plop a book of easy to early intermediate Christmas tunes in front of me and entertain guests. Then I would be a pianist!!
Does 3 out of 4 make me a 3/4 pianist? laugh

Yes, the pun was intentional.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Matt H posts: "What is the difference between a violin and a fiddle?

A violin has strings. A fiddle has "strangs"."

Ay-yup - smile

For jwjazz, from an earlier post of mine: "True confessions.

I thought of the title as the intro to a joke and was looking for punch lines.

I don't - seriously - find any difference.

Maybe I should have titled the thread 'A pianist walks into a bar. . .' " - FATS WALLER AND MARCIA BALL FOREVER! smile

and from Matt H again: "Note: I'm not endorsing the value judgment implied by this distinction, just pointing it out." - I was just poking fun at it, myself.

This thread reminds me of the time when I passed out a bunch of flyers for a tennis tournament and asked my (computer programmer) colleagues to color them before I posted them around work - wow! were they good colorers! And not in the lines, either! We hadn't had so much fun since Hector was a pup -

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
J. Mark, thumb

I liked the "playing by ear" joke the best. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dear Members, To be called a pianist has to be earned . Many years of lessons and talent. Hard work and talent... not ego...makes a pianist. In fact, my pianist friends are quite humble and admit they do not know it all...Sandy B

Sandra M. Boletchek 08/02/06
Well, it seems to me the difference is not so much as to definition as to word origin together with historical curcumstances. A quick look to the dictionary tells us the suffix "ist" to be an inflexed ending. This makes the noun verbal. The inflexion is typical of latin origin. So I see, this term to have french origin or in a broad sence perhaps europian. Which is problely an older term than "Piano Player" Also note, the inflexed term seems to my ears to have a more subjective or personal meaning to it. The syntax "piano player" seems to include the notion of many surrounding instruments. But my feelings on this are only from my own mind and life experience as a user of English. One would need to do a major corpus search in order to find when and how this syntax was first used. I think it to be more vulgar and of course less established than "pianist".

Furthermore, words have a phenomenon moving from phrase to a fixed form know as collocation to hyphenation and than lastly becoming single word. This is no guarantee that "piano player" will ever move into one word. It probably won't because pianist is already doing the job.

But remember which ever term you chose to use the meaning should be understood to as the users intention first and context. Not historical definition.

Just my pedantic ramblings.
David P

David
Sandy writes: Dear Members, To be called a pianist has to be earned . Many years of lessons and talent. Hard work and talent... not ego...makes a pianist. In fact, my pianist friends are quite humble and admit they do not know it all...Sandy B

------------------------------

I don't know that I would apply either word to myself. If asked what sort of pastimes I like, I would probably include playing the piano.

Neither word is entirely satisfactory. Pianist sounds like it is your profession. Piano player sounds patronizing, and suggests "self taught."

Sandy's quote suggests the importance of recognition for a person's extensive training and effort. No disagreement. However, the back side of that is, if you call yourself a pianist, you had better be GOOD. If you are mediocre and term yourself that, you will look like a prime fool.

I always only play for my two cats, and they don't really care what I call myself.

[Same person as former Glyptodont -- Some sort of system problem with forum.]
D
D
They easily avoid this in popular music, credits are usually

vocals: person 1
guitar, piano: person 2
bass: person 3

or some similar permutation.

I suppose it really depends on the value the individual applies to the words in question if someone calls themselves a pianist and they're not particularly good, pointing that out to them could make you look overly pedantic and just as foolish.

Originally Posted by Monica K.
If you call yourself a pianist, somebody with dyslexia won't mistake you for a player piano. laugh

Great one, Monica! Two years after making your joke you are still making people laugh.

I've always thought of a "pianist" as somebody who makes their living (or at least tries to make their living) off of playing the piano. I suppose though that anybody who plays the piano can call themselves a pianist... it's shorter and funner to say!

However, it would probably be misleading to call yourself a pianist or piano player if you haven't yet reached a skill level where you can either entertain or move people with your piano playing. If you are at a beginner level, it's probably more straightforward to just say that you are learning to play the piano.

Last edited by Benn; 09/02/09 07:02 PM.

Charles Walter 1520

H
H
In the dictionary, beside the entry for pianist, one will not find a picture of me.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I'd be more than happy to have anyone call me either one - but if I played a flute I definitely would slap silly anyone who called me a flautist - I know it's supposedly "correct", but is there any term more pretentious in the musical world - one does not play a flaut - one plays a flute - thus, one is a flutist - can we shelve the term flautist forever and henceforth flog anyone "uppity" enough to use it!

Regards, JF

Note: if flaut is French for flute then go to France with the rest of those spaghetti-spinned weasels and be a flautist... (French piano players and pianists excepted)

Last edited by John Frank; 09/02/09 07:59 PM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
WOW! This is a blast from the past!

From another current thread - I referred to our octave mandolin player as a "mandolinista" and bluekeys said it was his new favorite word!

Should we start on banjo jokes, too?

(Nice one, Home)

laugh

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
In spanish both terms are directly connected as we use flauta and flautista.

Formerly 1WeekPlayer. Currently practicing:
- Arabesque 1. Debussy
- Wiener Urtext Primo collection
http://www.youtube.com/mcasl
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by John Frank
I definitely would slap silly anyone who called me a flautist - I know it's supposedly "correct", but is there any term more pretentious in the musical world - one does not play a flaut - one plays a flute - thus, one is a flutist - can we shelve the term flautist forever and henceforth flog anyone "uppity" enough to use it!
It's only your perception that makes it sound pretentious, I think. If it's always been used where you are, like here in Oz, then it just sounds normal.
But I'll respect your wishes and never call you a "flautist" smile

Du holde Kunst...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
I definitely would slap silly anyone who called me a flautist - I know it's supposedly "correct", but is there any term more pretentious in the musical world - one does not play a flaut - one plays a flute - thus, one is a flutist - can we shelve the term flautist forever and henceforth flog anyone "uppity" enough to use it!
It's only your perception that makes it sound pretentious, I think. If it's always been used where you are, like here in Oz, then it just sounds normal.
But I'll respect your wishes and never call you a "flautist" smile

Thanks - but calling a flute player a "flautist" will never sound "normal", neither in the Land of Oz nor elsewhere - this is like calling a garbage man a "sanitary engineer" or a salesman an "account representative" or a clerk a "customer service agent" - after all, Mozart didn't write no stinkin' flaut concertos (concerti) - and while we're at it shouldn't the proper term be pianoforteist since that's the correct historical name for our beloved instrument? And perhaps the term keyboardist would be most nearly all-inclusive since it could reasonably cover DP players, organists, harpsicordists, etc.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

J
jotur Offline OP
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Cranky today are we, JF? laugh

So, here's an adjunct to this thread:

What do you call a person who plays -

a piano

a guitar

a violin

a tympani

a mandolin

spoons

a banjo

a flute

a marimba

an ocarina

a didgeridoo

the radio

??

Cathy

Cathy
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
Mozart didn't write no stinkin' flaut concertos
He also didn't refer to a flute as a "flute" either smile . (Except on the days he was speaking US English to keep you happy smile )

Du holde Kunst...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jotur
Cranky today are we, JF? laugh

grin Not just today, but every day - I take a pill to get that way laugh

So, here's an adjunct to this thread:

What do you call a person who plays -

a flute

A freakin' flaming foreign flautist... eek or, a flute player...

the radio

Cathy

Someone with a broken CD player...

Regards, JF

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by currawong
Mozart didn't write no stinkin' flaut concertos
He also didn't refer to a flute as a "flute" either smile .

I concede your point (although I'm sure given the choice - if he had spoken USA English - he would have used "flute") - tradition has it that he always referred to the flute as "that girly-man instrument" (although I can't seem to verify the accuracy of this assertion) laugh .

And I'm sure that you will now concede that there's absolutely no good reason to call a flute player, i.e., a flutist, a "flautist" except the carryover "snob appeal" from polite, aristocratic European society - a culture that died a couple of centuries ago, but which few there have been brave or honest enough to accept yet. smile

Regards, JF

Did you just launch a broadside attack against the entire population of Europe?

aim for the moon - if you miss, at least you'll be among the stars.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Matt H

I think the difference between pianist and piano player relates to genre and social distinction. A piano player plays in a bar (or better yet, in a joint), a pianist in a concert hall. That's why Fats Waller is not a pianist.

To set the record straight, Fats Waller played Carnegie Hall twice, in 1942 and 1944:

http://jazzlives.wordpress.com/2009/04/15/fats-waller-at-carnegie-hall-1942-and-1944/

And, Fats Domino also played Carnegie Hall in 1971:

http://www.concertposterart.com/pos...ino-Carnegie-Hall-Concert-Poster-Type-Ad

Last edited by rocket88; 09/03/09 10:31 AM.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission